+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why bishops can marry?

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMagickaRome GoldSengoku
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

why bishops can marry?

I think this is a bug. Bishops should not be able to be married or be already married. They could only have the ability of having bastard children. I am frustated of seing my bishops looking for a fiancé or to be able to nominate bishops that are already married. Please fix it.

There are FOUR LIGHTS! AllThat4Nothing's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Naval War: Arctic CircleMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Blingerman View Post
    I think this is a bug. Bishops should not be able to be married or be already married. They could only have the ability of having bastard children. I am frustated of seing my bishops looking for a fiancé or to be able to nominate bishops that are already married. Please fix it.
    it's really not that big a deal. it's the only way the game can reflect that some clergy simply didn't care
    I once lost a pair of shoes.

Because this was indeed possible until the around the 1120's. Fellow history buffs - back me up!

There are FOUR LIGHTS! AllThat4Nothing's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Naval War: Arctic CircleMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Czack View Post
    Because this was indeed possible until the around the 1120's. Fellow history buffs - back me up!
    you are indeed correct
    I once lost a pair of shoes.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

seconded. Papal Bull passed after the game start. I assume that if that bull was to happen during the period the game occurs, then we should get a notice or something. I thought it was in the 1300s and seem to be having trouble finding any more details..

edit: wiki saves the day. 1123 and then 1139 -
    The Second Lateran Council (1139) seems to have enacted the first written law making sacred orders a diriment impediment to marriage for the universal Church.

In 1322 Pope John XXII insisted that no one bound in marriage—even if unconsummated—could be ordained unless there was full knowledge of the requirements of Church law. If the free consent of the wife had not been obtained, the husband, even if already ordained, was to be reunited with his wife, exercise of his ministry being barred

1120's and 1300's -> Everybody wins!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy
    Last edited by Pauly_Walnuts; 20-02-2012 at 20:31.
    "The sea with an end can be Greek or Roman: the endless sea is Portuguese." - Fernando Pessoa (1888–1935)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly_Walnuts View Post
    seconded. Papal Bull passed after the game start. I assume that if that bull was to happen during the period the game occurs, then we should get a notice or something. I thought it was in the 1300s and seem to be having trouble finding any more details
    According to wikipedia it became canon law in 1139. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priesth...rical_celibacy.

I'm not sure if it's important enough to make it an event in game and wouldn't do much for actual game play but could still be a nice add.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by SirDraco View Post
    According to wikipedia it became canon law in 1139. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priesth...rical_celibacy.

I'm not sure if it's important enough to make it an event in game and wouldn't do much for actual game play but could still be a nice add.
    It wouldn't be a big change, but having Bishops not marry may mean less Bishops since they want to get down. Also less legitimate children from said Bishops and less marriages so it would change up your list of Courtiers.
    "The sea with an end can be Greek or Roman: the endless sea is Portuguese." - Fernando Pessoa (1888–1935)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly_Walnuts View Post
    It wouldn't be a big change, but having Bishops not marry may mean less Bishops since they want to get down. Also less legitimate children from said Bishops and less marriages so it would change up your list of Courtiers.
    Probably not less Bishops just more bastards. Maybe it could lead to more events such as a Bishop asking you to look after/find a new home for his bastard etc.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMagickaRome GoldSengoku
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well, I didnt know that it was possible till 11XX. However, I still find it strange as the game lasts till 1453. Perhaps an event should fire to prevent it. Could this be modded?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingerman View Post
    Well, I didnt know that it was possible till 11XX. However, I still find it strange as the game lasts till 1453. Perhaps an event should fire to prevent it. Could this be modded?
    Nah. Diplomacy conditions are hard-coded, and arranging marriages is a diplomatic action.

Historically, bishops could marry during the early period of the game, but keep in mind, too, that this isn't a simulation of the period. It's a sim-flavored strategy game. The sim stuff is well-researched--I especially like the mind-bending distinctions between the two "persons" of the ruler, the individual, and the state--but it isn't meant to be completely accurate.

+ Reply to Thread