• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofMagic

CONFEDERATES AND FLAGS FOREVER!!
3 Badges
Nov 30, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
Let incompetence be determined by trial an error. ;) Wife doesn't have kids within 2 years? incompetent murder her. lol Low income per month...Steward is incompetent fire him get another. :) Getting caught all the time trying assassinations or too many assassinations on your life? Incompetent Spymaster get rid of him/her try another. Losing battle after battle? Levy slow to increase in size? Incompetent Marshall behead him get another. ;) Everybody hates you, Chancellor incompetent.....remove from office try another. ;)

It's easy to game the game or exploit it when you "know too much".....turn off stats and watch em scream in the forums. lol Players will actually try for more diplomatic marriages like the real thing I would suspect instead of going for a 20+ steward. lol

You can still let them see "traits" but not the numbers, then choices can be made by personality instead of hrmmm should I take this 17 or 18?

Create a BLIND game of it and let's see how EASY it is. ;)

Reactions:
Leave it be. Numbers tell a story.

Reactions:
Hiding the stats is an interesting idea to stop the "stat hoarding" exploit. Either that, or have the player incur a larger approval penalty so that firing a council member will have a greater chance of negative repercussions in the game. But I think I like the hidden stats idea better. :wub:

Reactions:
I've enjoyed games that hide the numbers, and it works well for those.

However, when I play a Paradox game, I expect numbers. Seeing how all the gears turn underneath is what I find interesting about them.

Reactions:
I vote....no thanks.

As a general rule in any game - more information is better. It gives players more options and flexibility. You can always chose to pay little attention to numbers that are there. A player can't magic up information that isn't there.

As for being ot gamey:
- Some players like being gamey... so let them do it.
- Some players aren't gamey, so we can still have the stats.

Everyone wins.

Consider this my forum scream. (btw, why would a game developer want thier customers to scream in frustration?)

Reactions:
Because they have the "cruel" trait. ;)

:) ...on the exploiting bit, I think they adjusted matrilineal marriages to stop people stealing all the best courtiers in the 1.03 patch (though I can't be sure... not having the 'gamey' trait myself)

Reactions:
However, when I play a Paradox game, I expect numbers. Seeing how all the gears turn underneath is what I find interesting about them.
It's what makes Paradox games fun. Ledgers, statistics, tables, lists, diagrams, comparisons... data, data, data!

Same thing was the reason, why old Bioware RPG games (with D2D system and lot of reading in conversations) were so great.

However, "hide stats" could be optional - e.g. as different difficulty level.

Last edited:
Reactions:
if you don't want to stat hoard and explot, then simply don't. I don't understand the OP's gripe: he's saying Paradox should make changes to the game to stop people from doing something that they can easily stop themselves from doing...? If someone enjoys "stat hoarding" then they will do it and enjoy it. If someone doesn't want to do it and doesn't enjoy it, then they'll play differently. No need for changes. And I agree with the folks who say they like seeing the numbers. Playing Paradox games, you come to expect them.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Maybe I'm just an amateur at CKII-genetics, but so far I haven't been able to create a godlike dynasty. For every great king, there has been a mediocre one.

Not to mention several heirs who were subtly "removed".

Status
Not open for further replies.