Go to thread!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop the stat hoarding and exploiting....HIDE THE STATS!

Stop the stat hoarding and exploiting....HIDE THE STATS!

Let incompetence be determined by trial an error. Wife doesn't have kids within 2 years? incompetent murder her. lol Low income per month...Steward is incompetent fire him get another. Getting caught all the time trying assassinations or too many assassinations on your life? Incompetent Spymaster get rid of him/her try another. Losing battle after battle? Levy slow to increase in size? Incompetent Marshall behead him get another. Everybody hates you, Chancellor incompetent.....remove from office try another.

It's easy to game the game or exploit it when you "know too much".....turn off stats and watch em scream in the forums. lol Players will actually try for more diplomatic marriages like the real thing I would suspect instead of going for a 20+ steward. lol

You can still let them see "traits" but not the numbers, then choices can be made by personality instead of hrmmm should I take this 17 or 18?

Create a BLIND game of it and let's see how EASY it is.

At least there should be some indicators for every field like "bad" (0-10) "average" (10-16) "good" (16-23) "excellent" (23-XX).

No way. Numbers are fun. I want moar not less!

You already have the "is considerd X in this field" if you wait for the tooltip on the stats.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Leave it be. Numbers tell a story.
    1 Bureaucrat
    Nationality: Anglo-Canadian
    Religion: Theravada
    Ideology: Liberal
    Issues: Free Tree/Pluralism
    Cash Reserve: 0.00
    Revoltrisk: 0.00%
    Militancy: 0 (0.00)
    Consciousness: 10 (0.00)

Quote Originally Posted by Walas View Post
    You already have the "is considerd X in this field" if you wait for the tooltip on the stats.
    that ^ would be ok at least it's not an EXACT number.

This would be a pretty fun idea for a mod, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Docus View Post
    This would be a pretty fun idea for a mod, methinks.
    Only thing is I think the DISPLAY features of the game are HARD CODED....which means no can do.

Hiding the stats is an interesting idea to stop the "stat hoarding" exploit. Either that, or have the player incur a larger approval penalty so that firing a council member will have a greater chance of negative repercussions in the game. But I think I like the hidden stats idea better.

I've enjoyed games that hide the numbers, and it works well for those.

However, when I play a Paradox game, I expect numbers. Seeing how all the gears turn underneath is what I find interesting about them.
    Come play Werewolf! Make new friends, then murder them!

Grand Prolonger of Autumn 大長秋 Lord Canterbury's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I vote....no thanks.

As a general rule in any game - more information is better. It gives players more options and flexibility. You can always chose to pay little attention to numbers that are there. A player can't magic up information that isn't there.

As for being ot gamey:
    - Some players like being gamey... so let them do it.
    - Some players aren't gamey, so we can still have the stats.

Everyone wins.

Consider this my forum scream. (btw, why would a game developer want thier customers to scream in frustration?)
    "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." - Voltaire.
    "The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell.

I like the numbers.

(btw, why would a game developer want thier customers to scream in frustration?)
    Because they have the "cruel" trait.

Grand Prolonger of Autumn 大長秋 Lord Canterbury's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by MasterofMagic View Post
    Because they have the "cruel" trait.
    ...on the exploiting bit, I think they adjusted matrilineal marriages to stop people stealing all the best courtiers in the 1.03 patch (though I can't be sure... not having the 'gamey' trait myself)
    "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." - Voltaire.
    "The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell.

Second Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi

I don't think hiding the numbers is a good direction to take the game but it might be interesting for the odd play through.

Quote Originally Posted by Cymsdale View Post
    However, when I play a Paradox game, I expect numbers. Seeing how all the gears turn underneath is what I find interesting about them.
    It's what makes Paradox games fun. Ledgers, statistics, tables, lists, diagrams, comparisons... data, data, data!

Same thing was the reason, why old Bioware RPG games (with D2D system and lot of reading in conversations) were so great.

However, "hide stats" could be optional - e.g. as different difficulty level.
    Last edited by pothkan; 20-02-2012 at 21:15.

There are FOUR LIGHTS! AllThat4Nothing's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Naval War: Arctic CircleMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

if you don't want to stat hoard and explot, then simply don't. I don't understand the OP's gripe: he's saying Paradox should make changes to the game to stop people from doing something that they can easily stop themselves from doing...? If someone enjoys "stat hoarding" then they will do it and enjoy it. If someone doesn't want to do it and doesn't enjoy it, then they'll play differently. No need for changes. And I agree with the folks who say they like seeing the numbers. Playing Paradox games, you come to expect them.
    I once lost a pair of shoes.

I'm not even sure why we are calling this "stat hoarding"? can someone explain please...

There are FOUR LIGHTS! AllThat4Nothing's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Naval War: Arctic CircleMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeKings View Post
    I'm not even sure why we are calling this "stat hoarding"? can someone explain please...
    because it's how the OP interprets it.
    I once lost a pair of shoes.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Maybe I'm just an amateur at CKII-genetics, but so far I haven't been able to create a godlike dynasty. For every great king, there has been a mediocre one.

Not to mention several heirs who were subtly "removed".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast