+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I survive a new, strong neighbor?

How do I survive a new, strong neighbor?

My Georgian kingdom is growing nicely, but that brought with it a problem. I am now neighboring the Seljuk Turks. My last conquest left me moderately drained and within a year I keep getting attacked by a large Turkish vassel. No matter how I try, they raise 2x the troops I can (levies and mercs). Are there any options that work in a 6 month window that could discourage them or gain me some allies or am I doomed to lose this conflict? My cash is low so I can't just spam mercs at them.
    A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous and the valor of the brave. But these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling.

If you have any spare sons or daughters you can try to get an alliance with someone powerful and nearby. Byzantine Empire ideally. Allies have saved me a few times, but they will sometimes sit out your war to pursue their own interests (much like a human player would do). Other than that you need soldiers or cash to buy soldiers.

Thanks, I haven't tried that yet and I think I have a kid I can marry off. I've been trying to assassinate enemy rulers before they attack--it has slowed them down, but only for a year or two. If I had the money to kill them all, I'd have the money to buy soldiers.
    A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous and the valor of the brave. But these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

I've always wondered - does encouraging revolts help too?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

All "sow dissent" has done for me so far is get a load of highly skilled chancellors thrown in foreign Oubliettes. Wouldn't recommend it.
    "I shiver all over when I see your lovely tan, and I can tell by your clear blue eyes you're a sailor man." - Turbonegro

+ Reply to Thread