• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kind of disappointed that in all these pics, Byzantine Empire is still in tact.
Lets do some analysis on that:
First image, 1310, Byzantium has splintered quite a bit.
Second, 1121, Byzantium is dealing with a civil war it seems.
Third, 1177, can't see all of it, but looks like it is in a civil war.
Fourth, 1279, lost most of its Balkan holdings. Civil war. Lost some of its eastern holdings.
Fifth, can't tell the year but the Golden Horde is there, so probably 1250ish. Huge Byzantium.
Sixth, 1101. Player-controlled Byzantium
Seventh, 1179. Byzantium not visible.
Eight, 1121. Intact Byzantium.
Ninth, 1140. Player-controlled Byzantium
Tenth, 1453. Byzantium destroyed by player.
Eleventh, can't tell the year. Byzantium not visible.
Twelfth, 1138. Civil war. A few holdings lost, a few gained.
Thirteenth, 1138. Byzantium not visible.
Fourteenth, 1148. Mostly intact Byzantium. Can't see Anatolia. Has lost a few Greek holdings.
Fifteenth, 1148. Byzantium has grown a bit.
Sixteenth, 1168. Byzantium not visible.
Seventeenth, 1327. Civil war, most Eastern holdings lost.
Eighteenth, 1145. Byzantium not visible.
Nineteenth, 1310. Huge Byzantium
Twentieth, 1183. Small civil war. Mostly intact Byzantium.

If we then discard any where the player was involved or Byzantium cannot be seen:
First image, 1310, Byzantium has splintered quite a bit.
Second, 1121, Byzantium is dealing with a civil war it seems.
Third, 1177, can't see all of it, but looks like it is in a civil war.
Fourth, 1279, lost most of its Balkan holdings. Civil war. Lost some of its eastern holdings.
Fifth, can't tell the year but the Golden Horde is there, so probably 1250ish. Huge Byzantium.
Eight, 1121. Intact Byzantium.
Twelfth, 1138. Civil war. A few holdings lost, a few gained.
Fourteenth, 1148. Mostly intact Byzantium. Can't see Anatolia. Has lost a few Greek holdings.
Fifteenth, 1148. Byzantium has grown a bit.
Seventeenth, 1327. Civil war, most Eastern holdings lost.
Nineteenth, 1310. Huge Byzantium
Twentieth, 1183. Small civil war. Mostly intact Byzantium.

So what we see here is that in almost all the remaining 12 images Byzantium is dealing with civil war. One image with heavy splintering. Two where it has lost most of its eastern holdings (and another where we cannot see them).
Overall, 5 out of 12 I'd consider mostly intact. Three where it is facing major problems. Most of the images are too early to really tell anything.
Of the three images past 1300, it has splintered heavily in one, lost its eastern holdings in the second, but is huge in the 3rd.

Overall it seems the main problem is that the civil wars are too easily resolved, as while Byzantium seems to always descend into civil war, little happens as a result. The Muslim factions surrounding Byzantium should be more opportunistic, and the internal Byzantine factions should probably be more likely to vie for independence.

Small update on my Duchy of Normandy game from previous thread :p

Not an empire yet but my son has a claim on Byzantium and my chancellor is working in Rome.

Take a look on army tab :)

I hope I'll manage to restore Roman Empire before game ends :p

That's true that empires are really hard to break. I've attacked HRE few times during civil wars and still it's more or less in one piece.
Although Byzantine Empire is mostly Bogumilist with catholic emperor (my job) and Byzantium is it's vassal kingdom which controls 90% of empire it's still holding in one piece...

Last edited:
Reactions:
ck2_1.jpg

my first game playing as galicia, so far 100 years have passed.

as you can see, france was, is and will always be the BBB (Big Blue Blob for all non-EU3 player out here). they just recently recovered from a major internal war, the Kingdom of Africa is currently ruled by the former french king and france itself is ruled by the son...

Rörek I of Stenkil
King of the Swedes, the Finns and the Lithuanians

ck2_1.jpg

ck2_map_1.jpg

I won a crusade that was credited to the grandmaster of the Knights Templar because I gave the land to them... don't know what I missed out on, oh well. I'll get the next crusade. I intend to fix the screwed up border with Norway (thanks to the cursed, province-stealing duke of Östergötland) somehow... either giving the provinces back when/if the opportunity comes or conquering Hedmark, Jämtland and Härjedalen if Norway ever reverts out of the Holy Roman Empire's control (yes, that's right). Hopefully it'd be the first solution, I don't want to cripple Norway nor do I want Norway's land...

I've got a lot left of the Kingdom of Lithuania to conquer, intending to leave only 3 provinces that I don't currently control in the hands of my neighbours. After I've fixed that and the screwed up border with Norway, my territory is done.

I do want to emulate King Harald Hardrada though, I think invading other realms like that is really cool for some reason. Which is part of why I'm currently at war pressing Prince Jerzy's claim to the throne of Poland! I have dreams of a glorious invasion and aquisition of all Rus, but we'll see about that - first I need a claim and then I need someone fitting to grant all Rus to as I don't want it.

For the glories yet to come ;)

Last edited:

I could post my egypt game , where most of byzantine have splintered off into minor states, and the golden horde was crushed by the Turks

2012-02-22_00001.jpg

This is the first time I've played through an entire Paradox game without using a single cheat. CK2 is officially my favorite PI game :>

Some observations though:
Blobs, blobs everywhere. Until the Byzantine's finally splintered into three smaller but still huge blobs they made up literally almost the entire eastern half of the map, even fighting off Timurlane. France also at one point practically controlled all of Spain and Ireland too..but fortunately it splintered itself all sorts of ways too, likely a result of one too many King titles.

The HRE will not die.(though I did nibble bits of it off in the very end, but I spent most of my time on the muslims obviously)

I'm seriously considering downloading one of the mods to put Empire's in every major area, holding multiple kingdom titles became absurd, I had one vassal with a -40 penalty with me because he held land in two different kingdoms and somehow desired both of them... either that or I do like many suggest and just collect Duke titles and never form a Kingdom..but that just doesn't feel right to me :/

View attachment 48209This is the first time I've played through an entire Paradox game without using a single cheat.
I was actually close to cheating when I went AFK and came back and realized that I hadn't paused the game and a 3500 man army were acting like a bunch of wile vikings (former my mercs). Thou I resolved it with a knife in the throat and the whole company just fell apart.

I was actually close to cheating when I went AFK and came back and realized that I hadn't paused the game and a 3500 man army were acting like a bunch of wile vikings (former my mercs). Thou I resolved it with a knife in the throat and the whole company just fell apart.

:eek: That's terrifying. Don't get me wrong I tried early on but by trying the CK1 way not the EU3 way, it didn't work, and I shrugged it off and embraced the challenge. I've never come back from so much so many times, there was a point in my run when every single one of my vassals revolted against me *AND* the united Sultanate of Mauretania/Africa/Andalus launched an invasion, but mercenaries, holy orders, and a great deal of cunning saw me through :cool:

For Myrten though, how on earth did you balance all those King titles? I almost lost everything when I created Africa, and only created Mauretania and Egypt when I knew the situation was pretty firmly under my control and the Muslims were under truce with me.. but nonetheless I ended the game with at least four or five duke's imprisoned, one of which had penalties against me for TWO of my kingdom titles because I had given him an Egyptian duchy just to stave off a revolt when I wasn't ready for one.

For Myrten though, how on earth did you balance all those King titles? I almost lost everything when I created Africa, and only created Mauretania and Egypt when I knew the situation was pretty firmly under my control and the Muslims were under truce with me.. but nonetheless I ended the game with at least four or five duke's imprisoned, one of which had penalties against me for TWO of my kingdom titles because I had given him an Egyptian duchy just to stave off a revolt when I wasn't ready for one.
You had this penalty because he had land in two de jure kingdoms, stick to de jure borders!
Besides you should check on vassals all the time, do tournaments, go on crusades with them to get positive modifier etc. One or two duchies may revolt on succession but you should have more then enought troops to crush them.

My King of Sweden, Finland, Norway and England. England, Wales and Norway was at one point one kingdom controlled by the Godwinson Dynasty with Wales as the primary title. Right now I have nothing to spend my money on. It will get a little bit less ridiculous when my anti-pope dies.

SH4Vb.jpg

The rest of Europe? Well...

crWLB.jpg

The HRE is hereditary, France didn't begin to expand in Iberia until all the Christian kingdoms had gone. The Horde is Othodox.

Attachments

• SH4Vb.jpg
    SH4Vb.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 266
A norman byzantine emperor? madness!

Wow. Another Paradox game that insists on painting Jutland in a stupid, foreign, yellow colour. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2xUrz6ELU

;)

Now, Denmark is fighting its sixth or so independence war against the golden horde, so it's normal for the entirety of Denmark to be yellow, not just Jutland. There, does that make you feel better:D?

I agree. What on Earth? :/ If anything it should be Scandinavian or German, some yellow people would never be able to hold onto Jutland.

Now, in Vanilla Victoria 2 Prussia was yellow, and it always controlled Jutland. In AHD it is Prussian Blue.

Another update of my Normandy game

Now I guess I'll have to purge all my vassals and reassign the titles to clean up all this mess that was created :D

Ave Caesar!

It's fragmented pretty badly in my Kingdom of Sicily game. There are lots of Greek states frantically battling with each other.

ck2_1.jpg

The HRE, on the other hand, is damn near invincible. I have some claims on counties within it but I'm not going near. I've worked hard to build up the Kingdom of Sicily and I'm not risking it. Only Norway is having any joy there. I saw Pisa recently rebel and they lasted about a month.

How do you guys have such large kingdoms? I am in the late 1290's and still only own half of Iberia.