• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some time ago during one of the beta patches, there was another thread on this (or similar) topic where this guy managed to prove that AI HRE not letting people join empire if they have more provinces than emperor didnt work quite like that. Basically you could join empire with any country (that meets the conditions) no matter the size, all you had to do is spam the request. My understanding was also that AI would always decline you, but then i tried that myself, and boom joined France into HRE within couple of years. I have no idea if thats still bugged or not though.

I remember proving that with France and a screenshot....but I didn't spam the request...I held in the button and then released it...usually emperor always accepts then.

I remember proving that with France and a screenshot....but I didn't spam the request...I held in the button and then released it...usually emperor always accepts then.

I would get refused from time to time (that was the weird part), for example 1/5 officials would succeed.

For TO the path is:

- Vassalize several electors and build up your power base in the east while you wait for the Reformation. If you want to make the game really easy use this time out of the Empire to conquer all the provinces you need to form Germany later without Unlawful penalties.
- Become Prussia and turn into a monarchy as soon as it fires, making you electable to become HRE.
- Your vassals will vote for you, hopefully you have enough to secure the vote.
- Become HRE as soon as the current one croaks.
- Add your Baltic provinces to the HRE once you are Emperor.
- Depending on how much expansion you did into Germany, turn into Germany as soon as you pass the Prussian military reforms.
- win / invade China.

So with regards to the HRE, is it best to be the emperor and not a member? I am Scandinavia and I have four out of seven electors vassalized so I am always going to be the emperor. Is there any reason for me to join the empire? What would the advantages be, and what would the disadvantages be? I don't have the money to use my magistrates effectively so I have been having my provinces join the HRE to get my prestige back up (I accidentally used the +8 cultural tradition, -10 prestige thing three times when I meant to commission paintings). Is there any downside to adding my provinces to the HRE? As for my situation, I rule the Baltic, I rule North America, I am colonizing South America, a very powerful France is my Ally and a powerful Austria is my rival. I am a little worried about England but we don't fight. Oh and I am technologically backwards (I am an honorary member of the eastern tech group) and have very high inflation (29) due to having to mint to keep my empire together through centuries of war, rebellion, and religious strife.

Well, it is in a script, but there's a ton of empirical evidence (and you can easily find out yourself) that the AI does not behave in the manner the script describes. I'm not sure if anyone really knows why, though.

Ghost in the machine...? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!