• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(254030)

First Lieutenant
3 Badges
Jan 24, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
I am sure this has been discussed, but I'm just weening back into this game after a six month hiatus and am a little rusty. So here's a question: why would anyone ever be denied entrance to the HRE?

I'm playing as TO and its pretty much game start. I am on good relations with Bohemia, we have an alliance and open borders and all that. And yet, I am constantly denied entrance to the empire! I don't understand.

Are you playing as a large external power? If so, I find it easier to become emperor first through vassalizing electors, then worrying about joining later. Other than that, the EU wiki states as follows:

AI-Controlled Emperors will accept provinces into the Empire as follows.

Base chance of 10%
20% chance if the province owner's relation with Emperor is at least 150
AI Emperor will never accept if the province owner is over 30% of its infamy cap
AI Emperor will never accept if the province owner is larger than the emperor

Yeah, basically the emperor will never allow another country into the empire if it could threaten its position. For Example TO turned Prussia would make a large power in the empire.

Ok, like I said I am playing as Teutonic Order. So I am pretty much on par with the Emperor. Then my BB is way below 33%, and I have good relations with the Emperor. So, I have no idea.

This just isn't true though. I joined the empire as Britain after occupy Paris and with Scotland inherited, with all of Gallia under my heel... Bohemia had 11 provinces.

It's suppose to be true.

But it's bugged.

Yeah, I've joined the Empire with the TO after acquiring 2 magistrates at game start while being larger than Bohemia. Someone even dug out the code which seems to imply this would be impossible, but it is oh so doable.

Yeah, there's something bugged about it. It seems like it's supposed to disallow joining if you're bigger than the emperor but instead it just makes him less likely to agree or something.

I am sure this has been discussed, but I'm just weening back into this game after a six month hiatus and am a little rusty. So here's a question: why would anyone ever be denied entrance to the HRE?

I'm playing as TO and its pretty much game start. I am on good relations with Bohemia, we have an alliance and open borders and all that. And yet, I am constantly denied entrance to the empire! I don't understand.

The important question here is, what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean why the emperor - in real life - would or would not allow someone to join

OR

do you mean why the AI would or would not allow?

As for one, i think most of us can only speculate; bigger isnt always better in medieval world (talking about politics here), so i can see why the emperor wouldnt wanna allow a third party to join the empire just because they wanna use the emperor for protection. Apart from that, once you accept them in, you have some obligations toward them, and depending on their size and power they enter your political domain, which can complicate things for you. For example, if you dont protect them from external enemies, you lose respect and support, if you do they can gain additional land and power, outgrow you etc...

When it comes to EU3, there is no deeper reason behind it, AI is simply codded to always refuse petition from a larger country no matter what, to avoid human abusing empire (or something like that).

Are you playing as a large external power? If so, I find it easier to become emperor first through vassalizing electors, then worrying about joining later. Other than that, the EU wiki states as follows:

Base chance of 10%
AI Emperor will never accept if the province owner is over 30% of its infamy cap

Why would you want to join the HRE once you become the Emperor? As far as I know there is no benefit of doing so at that point, rather you will get penalties if you occupy non core HRE territories. So if you become Emperor by vassalizing electors, I think it's better to remain a non-member.

Base chance of 10%

I doubt that's true. A Tiny Hungary, who was emperor, accepted me, Byzantium into the empire. And I was like 10 times bigger.

Base chance of 10%
Is this hardcoded or in a script ?
I'd love to remove such sillyness really.

Well, it is in a script, but there's a ton of empirical evidence (and you can easily find out yourself) that the AI does not behave in the manner the script describes. I'm not sure if anyone really knows why, though.

Well, it is in a script, but there's a ton of empirical evidence (and you can easily find out yourself) that the AI does not behave in the manner the script describes. I'm not sure if anyone really knows why, though.

Everything else is bugged so why couldn't this be =P.

Why would you want to join the HRE once you become the Emperor? As far as I know there is no benefit of doing so at that point, rather you will get penalties if you occupy non core HRE territories. So if you become Emperor by vassalizing electors, I think it's better to remain a non-member.
member states gain cores when inheriting PUs from other members-the emperor does not get cores unless he is also a member.

I seem to remember someone saying that the code was supposed to prevent the emperor from letting you in if you were bigger than him, but that it was bugged in such a way that he will only categorically refuse you entry if you are bigger than the whole HRE. Not sure how true that is.

I have good relations with the Emperor

What do you mean by "good relations"? I think you get the best chance if it is over 150, but even then you can still get RNG'd.

I seem to remember someone saying that the code was supposed to prevent the emperor from letting you in if you were bigger than him, but that it was bugged in such a way that he will only categorically refuse you entry if you are bigger than the whole HRE. Not sure how true that is.

Heh. Might be that's WAD.

Some time ago during one of the beta patches, there was another thread on this (or similar) topic where this guy managed to prove that AI HRE not letting people join empire if they have more provinces than emperor didnt work quite like that. Basically you could join empire with any country (that meets the conditions) no matter the size, all you had to do is spam the request. My understanding was also that AI would always decline you, but then i tried that myself, and boom joined France into HRE within couple of years. I have no idea if thats still bugged or not though.