• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8206)

Second Lieutenant
Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
I really enjoyed playing EU 1 and it seems that CK 2 is similar to that game so I am intrigued. I did buy EU 3 with all the expansion up until Divine Wind. I am not sure which game to play! I realize both CK 2 and EU 3 take some time commitment to learn...so would it be fair to say that they are similar games but different eras? Does one game focus more on one aspect (diplomacy, military etc) than another? Any advice would be appreciated. I realize this is not all that easy to answer so any input appreciated!

CK2 is based upon dynasties, not nations, whereas the EU series is based upon nations. There's a decent demo for CK2 available if you want to give it a try. They're both fairly general games (unlike say, HOI which focuses on military, Victoria which focuses upon economy). The main focus of CK2 is increasing the prestige of your dynasty. In EU the main aim is to control as much as possible.

They are completely different. I feel EUIII is much easier to learn since I don't have a huge role/character playing game history. But oh my how CKII is fun.

But if you wan to ease into a new game EUIII I think has a easier learning curve. But it your big into role playing CKII is the way to go first.

EUIII has come a long way with the expansions but ultimately it is a game still based on war and expansion.

I've been playing CKII non stop. It's a very complex game but very fun and I haven't gone to war at all. That to me is a mark of a good game. One that can keep you occupied without having to take over the world. Victoria II is also like that but right now CK II is my favourite game ever so I would suggest to get that.