+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EU 3 vs Crusader Kings 2

Second Lieutenant
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

EU 3 vs Crusader Kings 2

I really enjoyed playing EU 1 and it seems that CK 2 is similar to that game so I am intrigued. I did buy EU 3 with all the expansion up until Divine Wind. I am not sure which game to play! I realize both CK 2 and EU 3 take some time commitment to learn...so would it be fair to say that they are similar games but different eras? Does one game focus more on one aspect (diplomacy, military etc) than another? Any advice would be appreciated. I realize this is not all that easy to answer so any input appreciated!

CK2 is based upon dynasties, not nations, whereas the EU series is based upon nations. There's a decent demo for CK2 available if you want to give it a try. They're both fairly general games (unlike say, HOI which focuses on military, Victoria which focuses upon economy). The main focus of CK2 is increasing the prestige of your dynasty. In EU the main aim is to control as much as possible.

10+ Years on the Forum Demi Moderator SAS's Avatar
    93 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEast India Company CollectionFor the MotherlandGalactic AssaultGettysburg
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourIron CrossThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    EUIV: Call to arms eventMagicka: Wizard Wars Founder WizardWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaAncient SpaceCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    They are completely different. I feel EUIII is much easier to learn since I don't have a huge role/character playing game history. But oh my how CKII is fun.

But if you wan to ease into a new game EUIII I think has a easier learning curve. But it your big into role playing CKII is the way to go first.
    - March of the Eagles mod: The Gods

- When I speak in Cyan its as a Demi-Moderator. Please review the following links: FAQ / Forum Rules / General Usage

Second Lieutenant
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

thanks folks

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

EUIII has come a long way with the expansions but ultimately it is a game still based on war and expansion.

I've been playing CKII non stop. It's a very complex game but very fun and I haven't gone to war at all. That to me is a mark of a good game. One that can keep you occupied without having to take over the world. Victoria II is also like that but right now CK II is my favourite game ever so I would suggest to get that.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

+ Reply to Thread