+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Gold in 24 hours!

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

Going Gold in 24 hours!

What an adventure guys!

Reality beats fiction. Let me tell you that Magna Mundi development history is richer, more suspenseful and more thrilling than any plot one could read in a novel. And the good part is that it is still being written! And the best part is that, as in Magna Mundi gameplay, total victory for all parties can still be snatched from the jaws of defeat, in an eleventh hour final bid!
    Of course any story, fictional or real, should not be left going on just for the sake of it or it becomes stale. Thus, the Gold Master now.

Edit: Getting technical, what Ubik refers to as a Gold Master (GM) is a Release Candidate. It turns into a Gold Master when it passes testing on Paradox's end. We have high hopes it will, maybe with some minor adjustments.
    When the GM passes a release date is set, accoring to the art of setting release dates (competition, other matters of timing).
    /Mattias Lilja, Executive Producer Paradox Interactive.

As for me, I never went into this quest because of a pot of gold. Gold per se is not a strong motivator for me. It was really for the sake of the quest of designing a game, managing a colourful and extensive set of personalities and learning with people so much more intelligent than me in so many ways, all this while paving the way to develop another title after this one. At this point in time, I am happy to say all my objectives were achieved. I don’t know what the end of Magna Mundi will be as I only hold part of the cards, but you can rest assured I have had the time of my life playing THE GAME of making the game, no matter what happens from now on regarding it!

I am going to be upfront with you: Magna Mundi is at this stage finished but not polished. Optimally, it will need two more months of work for everything to be dandy for a release but certainly a one month development time will iron out most of the troubles.

In all fairness it must be said that Paradox recently presented me with two scenarios: Gold Master now or for Q3, seven or so months ahead. So, it must be said this time I was not rushed to make this decision. It is mine and mine only. I alone answer for it.

As stated before, it was a matter of avoiding the stale feeling I written above. It was also a way to end the “Golden Unicorn Syndrome”. The “Golden Unicorn Syndrome” happens when creative, dedicated and talented developers merrily continue to add features, scripts, plots and code optimizations in a hunt for the perfect [INSERT WHAT YOU WANT HERE] but oblivious that practical matters have a saying in everything. That’s where uncreative, pragmatic and untalented party spoilers like me blow the horn, rally the troops and signal the hunt is over, the boars caught were a great prize already and better to savour their roasted meat than continue starving while chasing the elusive golden unicorn!
    Finally, there’s also the issue of attrition. As all of you are strategy gamers, you are very familiar with the concept. Standing in the desert of the forums for seven more months while being on the wrong - and unfair! - end of the pot shots flying is not my cup of tea. Given the chance, I prefer the greener pastures of a future game project to the barren deserts of the past.

So, how cool - which curiously rhymes with fool! – is that the fans of the game are being warned by the lead developer the game is not polished, while the fo... cool guy still hopes many preorders are going to happen? I don’t know how cool is that, but at least it’s honest and respectful for our fans and future customers. And I can point out for the team’s legendary dedication to tell about our future commitment regarding post release support in terms of patches and new content for Magna Mundi. Yes, if all the players play the cards right, the plan is to provide a strong support for the game for years to come and turn Magna Mundi into a cult game for this very specific niche market.

Finally, while savouring the Gold Master moment, let me compliment a few people more not mentioned in the manual. My parents first and foremost for the opportunities they always provided and the example they set for me to follow – beat yourself, don’t look to the side; never throw the first stone but have an avalanche ready to throw back to the aggressor; gold should always be a consequence, happiness should be the cause; the real important things in life don’t have a price...
    Also I’d like to thank the professionals that placed in my hand some powerful cards just in case and also the seal of approval conferred regarding moral and ethics. Thanks very much guys! Another cappuccino?
    Last edited by ubik; 20-02-2012 at 04:54.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Why is Paradox requiring the game to go gold now or be released in the age of flying pigs when it only need two more months? You have kind words for this with your unicorn hunt metaphor, but you're not hunting the unicorn, you're cooking its meat.

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Steel! View Post
    Why is Paradox requiring the game to go gold now or be released in the age of flying pigs when it only need two more months? You have kind words for this with your unicorn hunt metaphor, but you're not hunting the unicorn, you're cooking its meat.
    Because of scheduling issues I guess and rightly so. It's unnerving to say the least to have a bunch of amateurs like the MM team messing with release schedules!
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

As the game is download only will we be able to download it when it goes gold?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Gold as in it's gonna be on GG so I can buy it?

You better get marketing!

Forgive my mental incapacity to deal with information at this current moment in time but what does this mean? Doesn't Gold Master mean that has reached it's final beta stage, or that it has finished it's final beta stage and is set to release?
    Destroying blobs since 1995

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    Because of scheduling issues I guess and rightly so. It's unnerving to say the least to have a bunch of amateurs like the MM team messing with release schedules!
    Well at least you're being transparent, that's good, and your humility is understandable considering your overlords are watching . Now we know you had to choose between going gold now or in Q3 and out of those options I prefer now too even if it's not polished yet. When the time comes, I would like to be notified which patch is the last of the ''polish'' patches so I can start real games without feeling like my progress has been faulty and I need to start over the day some patch comes. Meanwhile I can use these 2 months to get smacked around by the AI and oaths of not reloading, trying countries I've never played before

Also as you've probably considered, if you do a great job of patching the game up during these 2 months you will directly show your good ability to support the game which will be good for your future releases since we all now know why you had to release it unpolished. Or I can consider this payback for that damn third option in Framed! never working out for me good luck anyhow ubik.

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by SerialCereal View Post
    Forgive my mental incapacity to deal with information at this current moment in time but what does this mean? Doesn't Gold Master mean that has reached it's final beta stage, or that it has finished it's final beta stage and is set to release?

Final beta. We will have time to code more.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    Final beta. We will have time to code more.
    Thats a relief. Although, in truth, the release date matters nought for me. It is still likely that the release shall be cause for the failure of my exams.
    Destroying blobs since 1995

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Steel! View Post
    Well at least you're being transparent, that's good, and your humility is understandable considering your overlords are watching .
    I would prefer this duality was not made as that was clearly not the intent of the sentence. I was in fact stating out what was my decision. This decision was made in early December in a office in central Lisbon, really.

Now we know you had to choose between going gold now or in Q3 and out of those options I prefer now too even if it's not polished yet.
    There's still a process of QA involved that will take some time. Tomorrow we are continuing to work on the game! That's our Carnival!

Also as you've probably considered, if you do a great job of patching the game up during these 2 months you will directly show your good ability to support the game which will be good for your future releases since we all now know why you had to release it unpolished. Or I can consider this payback for that damn third option in Framed! never working out for me good luck anyhow ubik.
    Of course, its going to be a good job of patching it! Anyway, and stressing again, the responsibility was all mine in making a call to release the game now. I was not forced into anything and Paradox name should not be involved in this as they gave me another option without any pressure placed. If anything, this is what in modern warfare lingo one calls "a preemptive strike" done by me.
    As for the support... absolutely!
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Field Marshal
    57 games registered

Achtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    Hi ubik! I just wanted to say:

I never realised the amount of work you guys have put yourselves under for our benefit. I can only say A BIG THANK YOU!

It must be a great feeling to have finally reached the conclusion of such a major effort. Congratulations to you and your Team!
    Yes, there will probably be "polishing" to be done and patches etc., but we're all here waiting with baited breath, and money hot in our little hands....

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Congratulations to the MM team for coming so far; from an ambitious mod to a full game and hopefully realizing your goals and your potential throughout the project.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

First of all, I applaud your honesty and directness. This is a sign of a true GAME developer, It is clear you care about the game and the community. I fully trust your judgement when you say the game is done but not polished. A different game studio (perhaps a less "amateur" one) would hide the fact the game is not polished, but for me they are not game developers, but rather economists. I'd always go with the amateurs with the soul rather than the professionals with a hunger for profit.

Second, I wish you good luck on your release. I will buy the game, and I will attempt to persuade any friends to pay the ticket of admission to the world of Magna Mundi. I hope to see this forum full of questions, discussions, modifications and AARs, and I hope you and your studio will have a bright future in the game industry. I am wishing all of this without having played MMtG itself, but if behind the game stands a man with such a powerful vision, I am ready to send my best wishes.

Congratulations, and good luck!
    You must unlearn what you have learned

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Congrats! So does this mean the game comes out in a month or so?

So wait what's going to happen in 24 hours?
    Nationality: Canadian
    Culture: Anglo-Canadian/Mashriqi
    Religion: Sunni
    Ideology: Liberal
    Trade Policy: Free Trade
    Economic Policy: Interventionism
    Religious Policy: Pluralism
    Citizenship Policy: Full Citizenship
    War Policy: Anti-Military

Getting technical, what Ubik refers to as a Gold Master (GM) above is a Release Candidate. It turns into a Gold Master when it passes testing on Paradox's end. We have high hopes it will, maybe with some minor adjustments.
    When the GM passes a release date is set, accoring to the art of setting release dates (competition, other matters of timing).

/M
    - Strategy is our game -

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Warm and enthusiastic congratulation Ubik and Co.! Ha, so it's indeed going to be April or may, nice.

A bit unhappy due to the fact game won't be the most polished product under the paradox franchise which I was sure it will be.

Good luck and remember: when you think it's all over it only really begins so stay awake on the guard posts.
    Lose your honour on these forums and I'll make you commit seppuku

Go check out my AoD CORE 0.60 AAR!

Anti-Emperor
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I for one will gladly join the cult already, but congratulations on making what is surely to become a historic historically based game.

As for the polish, my gut tells me the game is already at a very playable state, both with regards to balance and mechanics. At this point, I believe taking the decision to release it to a wider audience is right right way to go in order to get it "out there" and have a fresh look at the game.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 Complete500k club

"In democracy, it's your vote that counts. In feudalism, it's your count that votes."
    Parabens! And best of luck in the release and future development of games. Yesterday I had seen in SIC (A Portuguese television network), a news piece about successful Portuguese games. I sat down hoping to catch a glimpse of Mr. Gustavo there summarizing his game for the TV audiences, but came out disapointed. I hope that in the next news piece that comes across to TV, I can see Magna Mundi and Mr. Gustavo there.
    "Chavez is leading his people into better future, after ages of explotation they have something to be happy about. Positive thing is also that he suport good causes all over south america and world too a sign of true greatnes." -Ivio
    "Yes, Stalin said the same thing." -Tufto

"I think I'm going insane. I can like FEEL each second and minute passing and it's making me go insane because like I could be building skills in those minutes instead of making a forum post or listening to music or g-chatting with a colleague. I can feel it in my brain and in my body. It's terrible.[...]Anyone else have this?" -EFT
    "Only when I read your posts." -trajan

Quote Originally Posted by RhoDaZZ View Post
    I for one will gladly join the cult already, but congratulations on making what is surely to become a historic historically based game.
    *Puts on cultist robe* Amen, brother. Let us burn incense and give offerings to the great one Ubik! MAY HE LIVE FOREVER!

And while I must admit that the admitted lack of the polish in the game has me a little worried, I've had so much fun with Europa and your mod that I'll trust you anyways. Besides, even if it's a little rough on launch I'm sure you'll fix it up later with the money we give you, right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast