• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick question added to this. Say when they get a bonus or nerf to their stats, and the %s change, are those added in the next year, or is the change instantaneous, or is there no change at all till the mission is reset?

Yeah, I'm just shy of 50 years of playing and I've fabricated two claims

My current game as Dublin bagged quite a few claims.
1st Ruler - Fabricated Kildare, Briefne, Oriel, and Ulster
2nd Ruler - Galloway
3rd Ruler - Lothian

Does culture and proximity of the targetted county play a role in the success of fabrication? Galloway and Lothian are both Scottish, and they seem to take longer to actualise?

Last edited:
Doesn't seem that bad to me, I've had several key ones over my two half-games appear, usually without waiting too long.

As I learn the marriage rules and strategies (especially betrothals to potential female heirs before they hit adulthood) I'm relying on them less.

I find invasions suit my purposes far better than mere fabricated claims.

But you can't rally invade without claims in most cases.

Thanks for reply. Does the diplomatic score affect this? I have had a chancellors from level 15 to 18 in a province for 24 yers =/

this is just flat out bad luck. i've had two dry spots at 10.68% lasting more than forty years. Frankly, it's a bust in the AI code, as the odds of going 40+ years without success at 10% per annum is fairly low.

as was pointed out to myself on the marriage thread and by others, it's vital to learn how to make claims from marriages and court invitations to expand at a higher rate. chancellors alone will almost *never* get the job done. And you should be thinking about how yo want to expand from the very beginning and plot accordingly.

It took me several tries to figure out how to line up a proper claim using marriage tools and invitations. they take a few steps sometimes. but it's a great way to drop claim bombs all over the place.

Skill up to 18 (or 20, I don't really remember) will increase the chance of a ducal claim. It does not however increase the chance of the event triggering, just that if it triggers, the chance of it being a ducal claim will increase.

Very good to know. I always felt like better chancellors were being wasted since the cap was so low compared to other events they could pursue. OF course, those other events aren't as powerful.

I once moved the last Karling heir to my court in Constantinople to serve as hereditary court jesters, to punish the family for Charlemagne's usurpation of the Roman throne. Well, turns out the Karling jester who was the son of the first jester had a high diplomacy skill and demanded to be made chancellor. With some misgivings, I allowed it, so that my spite wouldn't overpower my common sense.

This Karling jester/chancellor ended up forging 7 county claims and 2 ducal claims in Italy from the age of 16 to his death at the age of 58. Oh, and his siblings ended up being my spymasters and stewards. What a ridiculously talented family of jesters. :p

edit: Incidentally, the previous emperor went his entire life without his chancellors EVER forging a single claim. In fact, forging claims rarely works for me, which made this whole situation even more surreal.

I once moved the last Karling heir to my court in Constantinople to serve as hereditary court jesters, to punish the family for Charlemagne's usurpation of the Roman throne. Well, turns out the Karling jester who was the son of the first jester had a high diplomacy skill and demanded to be made chancellor. With some misgivings, I allowed it, so that my spite wouldn't overpower my common sense.

This Karling jester/chancellor ended up forging 7 county claims and 2 ducal claims in Italy from the age of 16 to his death at the age of 58. Oh, and his siblings ended up being my spymasters and stewards. What a ridiculously talented family of jesters. :p

edit: Incidentally, the previous emperor went his entire life without his chancellors EVER forging a single claim. In fact, forging claims rarely works for me, which made this whole situation even more surreal.

It's a hardcoded secret dynastic fabricate claims bonus, based on Charlemagne's claim to be a universal ruler--NOT! :D But seriously I always did wonder what those troupes of wandering tumblers in CK1 were doing in my realm. I always went for the decision to toss them out and gain the paranoid trait. :)

You should also be aware that there are counter events for the fabricate claims mission. It is possible that your chancellor gets bribed, and if he accepts, he will not fabricate a claim for a year.

One of my rulers was on a throne for over 50 years. Meanwhile my chancellor fabricated 4 county claims only in HRE. After a war I've sent my chyancellors further to fabricate, even genius one (with 30 diplomatic skill). They were unable to fabricate it for about 70 - 80 years. When last of them died I've made my brother chancellor (33 skill). Within 8 years he fabricated 2 claims in Serbia (Belgrade and Ragusa) so I've attacked Byzantium. I've attacked them pressing "press all claims option". What is interesting - when I was fighting them for 2 years and almost win, my chancellor fabricated another claim (Duke of Duklja, there are 2 provinces under it - one was Ragusa, I didn't have rights for second one, all these titles belonged to Duke of Chersonesos). When I've made peace, I gained Belgrade, Ragusa... and Duke of Duklja with its second count there (so 3 counts together). This told me that "press all claim" option while declaring war will also affect future claims...

I just had 3 claims generated in a few short years. Yes, sometimes it is great to be king. Promptly followed by a LONG drought of no claim generation...replaced the Chancellor, yes it is still great to be king.
As long as he isn't slothful or drunk or hates me, I never give up on them.
Longest period i did not get any claim with high skilled chancellors was definitely over 30 years. Lately, I had a 27-year old Emperor with fabricated claims for 3 out of the 4 counties Georgia had left die in battle before pressing them.

It may be a placebo effect but I could swear my diligent, humble and gregarious chancellors with 22 skill fabricate claims better and more frequent then paranoid drunkards with the same skill level.

this is just flat out bad luck. i've had two dry spots at 10.68% lasting more than forty years. Frankly, it's a bust in the AI code, as the odds of going 40+ years without success at 10% per annum is fairly low.

as was pointed out to myself on the marriage thread and by others, it's vital to learn how to make claims from marriages and court invitations to expand at a higher rate. chancellors alone will almost *never* get the job done. And you should be thinking about how yo want to expand from the very beginning and plot accordingly.

It took me several tries to figure out how to line up a proper claim using marriage tools and invitations. they take a few steps sometimes. but it's a great way to drop claim bombs all over the place.

I wonder if some of us make the common mistake of thinking that a 10% chance per year x 10 years = 100%, x 20 = 200%, etc.
My experience tells me that the odds are indeed low of going 40+ years without success, although it has happened to me on more than one occasion. But while the actual experience odds are low, mathematically I believe it is the same. Like lottery tickets, buying 10 doesn't improve your odds tenfold... the odds of winning are the same gazillion to one, just 10 times.

Pushing claims through others collected through marriage or invitation is definitely cool once you've figured out how not to lose the territory as vassal once you've spent the time fighting for it. Pushing a claim and having your vassal then turn indie feels somewhat worse than your King dying with a handful of unpressed claims. Lost, unpressed claims are disappointing. Winning territory for another and not keeping the vassal is downright infuriating.