• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A very helpful analysis. Thanks!

One question, though. You write:
Fourth, focus on your capital. As the entire culture branch works based on your capital, there is no real point in encouraging cultural tech elsewhere.
I may be missing something, but I thought you only controlled tech development in your capital anyway. I can see the tech in other counties, but as far as I can tell, I can only pick priorities in the county with my capital. Am I missing something? (Or do you simply refer to placement of your court chaplain?)

A very helpful analysis. Thanks!

One question, though. You write:

I may be missing something, but I thought you only controlled tech development in your capital anyway. I can see the tech in other counties, but as far as I can tell, I can only pick priorities in the county with my capital. Am I missing something? (Or do you simply refer to placement of your court chaplain?)
Tech focus applies to your entire demesne.
You can also send councilors to any province in your realm.
Tech buildings can also be put anywhere in your demesne.

Wait, so you could just take over a county like Palermo, which turns into an awesome city anyways, make it your capital and get a insane tech boost? I had assumed, for some reason, it was a average over your whole realm. I've got to go try this.

very good guide.

just one addition: wouldnt it be morep rudent to build universities in your capital provinces town? they do have a bigger modifier then monastic schools

very good guide.

just one addition: wouldnt it be morep rudent to build universities in your capital provinces town? they do have a bigger modifier then monastic schools
Yeah, I think I simply forgot about them at the time. I'll add that in. Thanks.

very good guide.

Build both if possible, of course. The one thing is, as long as you don't have gravelkind, building cities in all your extra spaces should be priority. The reason is, rather than controlling a large amount of castles in a small amount of counties, you make a lot more money, and research, if you own a lot of countries filled with towns. The best way to go about this, due to the duchy effect, is to take the absolute best county in a duchy, give the extra counties to vassals and give the duchy to the best one. Also, taking only coastal counties is by far the best because a coastal town, with a port, makes double that of a normal town. You'll get -25 relation to each vassal you do this to, but over all, it's not very bad and you can control as many countries as your limit. If you keep your realm organized, it shouldn't be hard to educate each of duchy ruler's children with the content trait. Of course this really only works when you're large. When you're small, building all castles and controlling them yourself is the best.

i dont really agree with that pendragon.

sure later on vassal levies will make up the bulk of your army. but holding as many castles in your capital (which should be a county with as many open slots or already built castles as possible) gives enormous boosts from your marshal and steward, and that personal levy is just so much more handy when it comes to rebel suqashing or disposing of small enemies without angering your vassals....

i dont really agree with that pendragon.

sure later on vassal levies will make up the bulk of your army. but holding as many castles in your capital (which should be a county with as many open slots or already built castles as possible) gives enormous boosts from your marshal and steward, and that personal levy is just so much more handy when it comes to rebel suqashing or disposing of small enemies without angering your vassals....

I agree that it's a fair choice to do that for your capital, but not your other holdings. If you can get Rome, and manage to fill it with all castles before The Pope ruins it, it would be an amazing capital with five castles. However, that's only if you always use your steward to collect taxes. Outside of that, you could do the same tactic to always stay under your limit, but you're hurting your income. Also, you do not anger your vassals when rising their troops to crush rebels. Only when you declare war.

A+++ post. It would be great to get one like this about marriages and inheritances next/some time in the future. Trial an error is a slow learning process! ;)

On release day as a prospective King of Ireland I would have murdered my own sons for a guide like that (turns out that I did for other reasons though). :D
Its shaping up well and I picked up a few pointers that will be usefull.

Wait, so you could just take over a county like Palermo, which turns into an awesome city anyways, make it your capital and get a insane tech boost? I had assumed, for some reason, it was a average over your whole realm. I've got to go try this.

You can do that. But even if you just hold it, every other county in your demesne will get the demesne boost just for Palermo being part of your holdings.

Mind putting it up here, and of course if you could contribute more to that wiki that be great, right now all thats up is a marriage guide, tech guide, and an introduction.

One minor thing you may wish to add, the neighbor bonus is doubled when the neighbor is the same religion group.

Mind putting it up here, and of course if you could contribute more to that wiki that be great, right now all thats up is a marriage guide, tech guide, and an introduction.

One minor thing you may wish to add, the neighbor bonus is doubled when the neighbor is the same religion group.
I don't have an account on Wikia, and my nick is already taken, so I won't be posting it on there.
However, you can add it onto there yourself if you want, that's fine with me.