• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how your really convey the independent desires and attitudes of each of these characters, it makes the drama of their rivalry all the more gripping. As such, it is my honor to name you the [thread=250368]Character Writer of the Week[/thread]. Congratulations. :)

Ah, the best way to slap down a castle - mercenaries.

Castles can be tough, especially once levy numbers start to rise, but you seemed to have dealt with it fine all things considered. Good luck with Swabia! A plot like that is dangerous but potentially very lucrative!

Oh, and congrats on the award. :)

Count Friedrich I., From Plotter to Betrayed.

27th December 1080, Ulm

The Banners of the Duchy have been summoned. Only 2 years after the end of his regency Duke Berthold I. has pressed a claim on Lorraine, held by Duke Dietrich II. of Upper Lorraine. I do respect the Duke's decision although he is holding a title rightfully mine. Upper Lorraine has been in quite a lot of upheavel in the recent years with several counties claiming the ducal title and warring over it, which should make this war that much easier. But it would be a lot more beneficial to my plans if Duke Berthold exhausts his forces instead of strengthening himself by acquiring another county to his already wide desmene. Alas it shall not be so.

UjjOB.jpg

As the door opened behind him Friedrich quickly put away the chronicle and turned around to greet Otto.
"You wanted to see me, brother?"
Taking the nearby standing vial Friedrich poured his guest and himself each a goblet of wine.
"Indeed I wanted to. There are some things I want to keep from messengers as it can't hurt to be a little bit more careful than usual."
Sitting down Otto said: "I was already wondering, why you did not just send a letter but told me to come to Ulm as quickly as possible."
"Well.." Friedrich took a gulp. "As I told you already I really intend to claim the duchy for our family. But we have to make some careful preparations. I want you to stay here at court to look for opportunies to find allies among the other counts, maybe even incite them against Duke Berthold."
Otto raised an eyebrow. "Why have you singled out me to do this? I thought you wanted someone trustworthy to stay in Tübingen as steward."
"I believe our brother Heinrich is up to the job already. He seems to be able enough to run the county, while I am leading our men against Duke Dietrich and you are doing what you can in Ulm."
"I see." Otto leaned back. "I'll do as you say then. Anything else I should be aware of?"
Friedrich shook his head. "Good luck to you then. Duke Berthold is waiting for me to gather our levies. I should get going lest he gets suspicious."
"God's blessing upon you, brother, keep safe."
"I will."

jnyPl.jpg

----

15th December 1081, Tübingen

God be praised. The future looks bright upon us. This year not only saw the birth of my third son Sieghard but also the forging of a strong alliance. The Count of Breisgau and Schwyz has agreed to betroth his only daugther to my son Konrad. As soon as the union between our family has been achieved we will be the strongest vassal within the Duchy of Swabia. Maybe even more if my plans come to fruitition. Unfortunately gathering support for my claim has been hard, as most have been unwilling to commit, especially after the crushing defeat Duke Berthold gave to Duke Dietrich of Upper Lorraine. Time will hopefully be on my side though.

MZFoj.jpg

Plans for the future

----

15th January 1083, Ulm

News have reached us of the death of Kaiser Heinrich on campaign against the heathen menace of the Baltic. Reports are inconsistent but from what I could gather the Kaiser had lead his men into a well prepared trap of the heathens. Although fighting as valorous as a lion Kaiser Heinrich was unable to stem the tide of battle and gave the order to retreat. While covering the remains of his army with his own household guard the Kaiser received a crushing blow upon his head and was almost captured by the enemy had it not been for the quick actions of the Count of Saintois. Unfortunately our lord did not wake again and lingered on for several days before setting course for heaven. The Imperial army has been quick in electing Heinrich underage son as the new King of the Romans, but it remains to be seen if his claim gets the support it needs, especially as many Italian Princes have already risen in revolt, declaring their independece. As for myself I do consider Heinrich's son his heir. He is almost of age and from what little I could see at the Kaisers court, when Duke Berthold took me with him, he seems to be fit for the office.

yqPXH.jpg

What we stand to gain from the unrest is clear. In times of turmoil we might have an easier time to find alliances and support for my claim.

----

24th November 1083, Tübingen.

Praise to God, I have joyous news to write. The heir to the Duchy of Bavaria, Siegfried von Nordheim has agreed to marry my daughter Elisabeth. If we have the support of the Bavarians with us, the duchy of Swabia will be ours for sure!

u67vW.jpg

----

24th July 1085, Tübingen.

"In consideration of your virtues, talent and loyalty, I am giving you the County of St.Gallen as a fief. Rise now, Sir Konrad of St.Gallen."
Friedrich spoke in front of the gathered court as his smiling son rose and said: "I shall honor my obligations as your vassal and always stand faithful at your side, if by ill-chance I break my vow god shall strike me down."
Happily Friedrich finished the traditional vow of fealty by saying: "And I shall honor my duty to protect, ward and care for my vassal as your liege, if not god shall smite me to the abyss"

qSV5L.jpg

Friedrich's heir Konrad just before he is given the county.

The court dissolved as the ceremony ended and Friedrich retired to his chambers with his brothers and his son Konrad.
Sitting down around his desk they began their meeting.

"Are there any news on why you told us to gather together in Tübingen again?" Heinrich asked.
"There are a few things I would like to keep track off." Friedrich said. "We have gathered quite a bit of support now over these years. And our position looks more than secure right now."
Otto nodded. "Especially since your wife is pregnant again."
"Well that is not that important right now. I have two strong sons already." Friedrich looked at Konrad. "And they are more than able to continue our ambitions shall I be no more one day."
"Then what do you want to speak of, father?" Konrad asked, with a slightly reddened face as he was not comfortable with being praised.
"Right now as it stands we have alliances with Konrad's father-in-law, and Elisabeth's father-in-law. Support for a scheme within the duchy has been considerably harder to get though."
"So you consider giving up the plot?" Heinrich chimed in.
"No, I have already invested too much into it to just drop it."
"Then what do you plan? I don't believe it will get easier for us to incite rebellions against Berthold von Rheinfelden." Otto said. "He has a healthy male heir by now and there is nothing much we can do besides hiring assasins..."
Konrad interrupted him. "I do not like the idea of killing someone just because he stands in our way. It goes against the entire idea of loving your neighbours from the bible!"
"So what are your suggestions, Konrad?" Friedrich asked. "We should just wait for new opportunities, god will grant them to us for sure."
Friedrich exchanged a look with Otto before nodding.
"I guess so...well that was just the update on our situation, there is nothing more to say for now."
One by one they left the room and Friedrich looked out of the window to the courtyard.

Maybe it had not been the best decision to let Konrad be educated by a bishop...he lacks a little hardness to go all the way...

----

14th July 1093, Ulm.

An invitation has been given to us to attend a grand tournament at the Kaiser's court. Naturally I accepted, there can only be benefits to such a gathering. In regards to my plan our only way forward is now gathering like-minded persons as my son sadly still says no to every single hint of ruthlessness. I really hope his kindness does not hurt him in the long run... Nevertheless our situation remains largely unchanged. I do have another daugther, Romilda and another son Johann now, but it will not bring us closer to the duchy. Maybe I can find more potential plotters at the tournament.

VC75u.jpg

----

10th November 1093, Ulm.

Raging Friedrich slammed the door shut behind him, nearly hitting his brother Otto, who followed him, with it.
"Friedrich calm down, it is not as bad as you thought it was!" Otto said.
"What do you mean it is not as bad as I think it to be?! The whole court saw it and that damned Dietrich was the one, who laughed the loudest! This will not stand I am telling you, nobody laughs at me because I get ousted in the early rounds of the tournament!"

X95ND.jpg

"What do you intend to do, Friedrich?"
"I will show how that he is not to mess with me!" Friedrich rummaged through his desk to find some parchment and wrote down several lines before handing it to Otto. "Get that to Konrad and the others. I will raise the levies of Swabia."
Otto skimmed at the call to arms.
"Friedrich, stop this, it is madness! Are you suicidal?! How can you think of declaring war on Berthold? We will be crushed and all your careful plans will be for naught!"
Friedrich turned around and he was suddenly in a oddly calm moment.
With his voice as cold as ice he asked: "You shall obey me and my commands, Otto. Or what do you want to do to stop me?"
Wringing his hands Otto said. "You are making a mistake, Friedrich, please I beg you, do not rush into this just because of your insulted honor."
"Do what you want Otto, but if you do not carry out this task, I will have lost yet another brother to treachery."
Pushing his stunned brother aside Friedrich left the chamber.
Otto took another look at the note and crumbled it together with a frustrated sigh.
As you wish, brother, as you wish....

PJqS2.jpg

----

1st April 1096, Tübingen.

Otto stared at the dark sillhouette of castle Tübingen, rising against the city beneath it, not too far from him.
That it has to come to this...but Friedrich is blinded by rage now and too far gone...
Patiently waiting, he finally heard footsteps approaching.
"Friedrich?"
Coming closer the nearing figure took of the hood of it's cape and revealed Otto's brother.
"What news do you have, Otto? We have been besieged for 3 months now and the supplies are running low. Are you bringing help from the Duke of Bavaria?"
Evading Friedrich's gaze, Otto shook his head. "Unfortunately not. I am sorry, Friedrich."
"Then why did you call me out here?" Friedrich tried to capture his brother's eyes. "You must have some news."
Otto nodded and suddenly raised his voice: "Guards! Get him!"
Friedrich was too surprised to react at all as 5 soldiers jumped from the nearby bushes to surround him with swords drawn.
"Otto!! What in the name of God..!"
"I am sorry, Friedrich. It had to be."
Friedrich burst into rage: "Traitorous bastard! You are not better than Ludwig! What was the price you were promised? The County?! Damn you, Otto!! What about Heinrich who sacrificed himself in battle?!"
Ignoring him, Otto turned around: "Bring him away to the Duke.."
Struggling with his guards to no avail, Friedrich screamed curses at his brother before being carried away.

I am sorry Friedrich...but that is all I can do to save us from total and utter destruction by the revengous duke. It had to be done...

nsooJ.jpg

----

5th April 1096, Ulm.

I am sorry. That is all that is left for me to say. We heard the news today that my brother Friedrich died in the dungeons of Duke Berthold just several days after his incarceration. I do not know what happened, maybe I do not want to know. All that I am certain of now is that I am unworthy of this chronicle and of being head of the house. This is my first and last entry into this chronicle as I will give it to the rightful successor, Friedrich's son Konrad, may he have a more fortunous fate than his late father.
Otto von Hohenstaufen.

owIfo.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
Author's Notes:
And thus ends the ambitious count Friedrich. May his son have more luck!
Several things to mention:
-As I am still in Gavelkind succession law I gave St.Gallen away to keep the lands in one hand.
-Friedrich got the wroth trait somewhere into the game, so it became a rather fitting end to him.

NRDL - What really became Friedrich's problem was his irate trait (and what I did with it ;) ). Thankfully his behaviour to his wife did not backfire, actually I guess their marriage was kind of a happy one ( at least judging from the number of children :D ).

Chillango2 - Thanks for the praise and the award! Got to take a look at your AAR as well :)

Saithis - Thanks for the tips :). Sadly the plot did not really work out for Friedrich, but his war maintained his claim for his son. Let's see if he can do better!

Thanks for reading!

Noooooooooooooo Friedrich!!!

I suppose that's what happens when you overreach yourself and plot against your ruler. It's nice to see an AAR where the main character doesn't automatically win when he sets out to do something!

Well I did not really plan to lose that war, the plan was that my allies jump in and do most of the fighting :D
As it is usual with plans it went horribly wrong as nobody honored the call to arms, but the results were not gameending ;)

Update should be up by tomorrow!

That was great that you played the characteristics of Friedrich, even though it led to a bad end. That's REALLY hard to do as the player (at least I always want to play wisely!), but so so so awesome to see as the reader!

Good luck to Konrad!

Due to heavy adbot infestation, this thread is closed until further notice. If the author wishes to resume the AAR, they need only inform a demi-mod or moderator and we'll get it open soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.