• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Honestly, I'd love for Paradox to add rally points per duchy or so, making it so that all troops of that duchy are raised in its capital province. That would make it significantly more difficult to overrung half your enemies army with mercs before he can consolidate them and reduce micromanagement for bigger realms.

That is a great idea, put that in the new idea thread or whatever the hell it is called

Honestly, I'd love for Paradox to add rally points per duchy or so, making it so that all troops of that duchy are raised in its capital province. That would make it significantly more difficult to overrung half your enemies army with mercs before he can consolidate them and reduce micromanagement for bigger realms.

Yes, this is a great idea. I do like the operational challenges with connected up all your forces, though. Perhaps a compromise would be that each vassal's levees are raised in his/her own capital. So the king's troops would raise in realm capital, all the dukes and counts troops would raise in each of their capitals. That would be more realistic than all of them just appearing in the main capital, especially for HRE which is huge. (Granted mercs somehow magically appear anywhere, but whatever.)

I don't think its a good idea because right now you can take on a much bigger landholder if you're maneuverable and/or smart. That would completely throw that out the window if all their forces were raised in one spot - good luck declaring independence from (or warring with in general) the HRE if they can just simply spawn their entire defensive war army in one spot. It would swing the pendulum in the opposite direction drastically - now whether a smaller force can win is a definite no, always.

Granted it may give the player a bit of an advantage but let's be honest- AI small landholders get crushed regularly and brutally. Only the player can use some good strategy to actually win a war that the AI couldn't possibly win and I see nothing wrong with that.

As far as MP is concerned it's balanced because an MP player that sees mercs sitting next door and doesn't immediately know what's up - well, no amount of 'balance' changes will make them win.

It was implemented to prevent the OLD EXPLOIT of CK1 whereby players would take their armies right up to or next to the province they were going to invade and then declare war thus not giving their enemy/opponent (MP) enough time to react. An unfair advantage sotospeak.

Now players continue to EXPLOIT it by using MERCS since mercs don't count as your armies on the map. Hopefully Paradox will see this and remedy that and NERF it in a patch. ;)

Not sure why the game needs to be balanced around multiplayer to the point that it becomes historically inaccurate. Who has ever in the history of war declared war before preparing an army? It doesn't make sense but the wizard did it because of multiplayer. Also, it is not an unfair advantage when the other player can do the same thing so that arguement goes right out the window.

Not sure why the game needs to be balanced around multiplayer to the point that it becomes historically inaccurate. Who has ever in the history of war declared war before preparing an army? It doesn't make sense but the wizard did it because of multiplayer. Also, it is not an unfair advantage when the other player can do the same thing so that arguement goes right out the window.

It's not balanced for multiplayer, it's balanced in keeping the player from winning wars against the AI too easily. It's not ahistorical either, who has ever muster their army without it becoming blatantly obvious that fighting is about to start?

I don't think its a good idea because right now you can take on a much bigger landholder if you're maneuverable and/or smart. That would completely throw that out the window if all their forces were raised in one spot - good luck declaring independence from (or warring with in general) the HRE if they can just simply spawn their entire defensive war army in one spot. It would swing the pendulum in the opposite direction drastically - now whether a smaller force can win is a definite no, always.
Strawman fallacies may be the norm for politics, but they're really not helpful as constructive critisism.
Yes, raising the whole empire army in one spot would be absurd. Good thing I never even hinted at suggesting that. I wanted rally points per duchy, so that the HRE-army gets raised as about 15 single stacks instead of 60.

Although I do like Philo32b's addendum of raising them in the capital of direct vassals. That would make military campaigns from realms with strong dukes faster and easier, while slightly nerfing intentionally splintered realms players can engineer to easily crush revolts, by not having powerful direct vassals.

If you're playing with folks who enjoy calling up mercs just to march into your lands and THEN declare war...

Then play a multiplayer game with new folks. MP is a billion times better if you lay down some house rules to not take advantage of gamey tactics (like sending mercs in before declaring war, or the thankfully now extinct strategy of amassing wealth nonstop). And all it takes is everyone going "Yo, don't worry about it, I won't be a tool." Then if someone decides to ignore said agreed upon house rules, just quit the play session and restart it sans the guy who can't help but taking advantage of the game's flaws.