• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They want to prevent zergs. If you stack your 10k troops next an enemy province then declare war. You will easily wipe out their 500 or 600 troops of that province without giving them chance to muster with their other troops.

On the side note, you can declare war with mercenaries already on the boarder of the target. I usually do that as blitzkrieg tactic. Start war, use my 4k mercenries to wipe out their small stacks before they group up. While my own levies are grouping up and heading to war :)

They want to prevent zergs. If you stack your 10k troops next an enemy province then declare war. You will easily wipe out their 500 or 600 troops of that province without giving them chance to muster with their other troops.

On the side note, you can declare war with mercenaries already on the boarder of the target. I usually do that as blitzkrieg tactic. Start war, use my 4k mercenries to wipe out their small stacks before they group up. While my own levies are grouping up and heading to war :)

OK - This makes sense. A gameplay feature!

On another matter... in my first war, I have marched my army into a province, taken over all the cities, and have an army sitting there effectively unchallenged. At the bottom right hand of the screen I see "Danish claim on Lubeck war" 100%.

Why is the province not mine? Why does the other chap still seem to be in charge?

I look on the diplomacy tab, and it won't let me enforce my demands either... What do I have to do to be able to do that?

You have to offer peace first and demand that your claims be enforced, clicking on that little icon will bring up a window showing the progress of the war. From there you can choose to offer peace. Make sure you choose the option to Enforce Demands when you do. As a side note you will only be able to claim titles that are part of your Casus Belli. If you have occupied the entire enemy realm but you only went to war over one county, you will only be able to demand that county.

I fabricated a claim to a land nearby, got my army ready to attack, only to discover it won't let me because I raised an army? I don't understand!

It was implemented to prevent the OLD EXPLOIT of CK1 whereby players would take their armies right up to or next to the province they were going to invade and then declare war thus not giving their enemy/opponent (MP) enough time to react. An unfair advantage sotospeak.

Now players continue to EXPLOIT it by using MERCS since mercs don't count as your armies on the map. Hopefully Paradox will see this and remedy that and NERF it in a patch. ;)

OK - This makes sense. A gameplay feature!

On another matter... in my first war, I have marched my army into a province, taken over all the cities, and have an army sitting there effectively unchallenged. At the bottom right hand of the screen I see "Danish claim on Lubeck war" 100%.

Why is the province not mine? Why does the other chap still seem to be in charge?

I look on the diplomacy tab, and it won't let me enforce my demands either... What do I have to do to be able to do that?

You wont gain the province until you make piece. If you click on that little button it'll take you to a screen that details the war (battles, seiges etc.) click offer piece and it will take you to the diplomacy menu, select press demands and see what it says, if it says no then hover over it and it'll tell you why. Though if you've got 100% warscore the AI should agree to whatever you say.

You have to offer peace first and demand that your claims be enforced, clicking on that little icon will bring up a window showing the progress of the war. From there you can choose to offer peace. Make sure you choose the option to Enforce Demands when you do. As a side note you will only be able to claim titles that are part of your Casus Belli. If you have occupied the entire enemy realm but you only went to war over one county, you will only be able to demand that county.

Thanks. Fiddling around with things I discovered that... Seems that despite destroying his entire army, and occupying his towns, warscore 100%, I still can't enforce my claim... ah well, I guess this game is going to take some time for me to work out!

Last edited:
Thanks. Fiddling around with things I discovered that... Seems that despite destroying his entire army, and occupying his towns, I still can't enforce my claim... ah well, I guess this game is going to take some time for me to work out!

It will surprise you sometimes too. As I was in a war with Ostergotland for Oland, the ruler of Ostergotland before I had even taken his last barony of the first province I attacked put up a peace proposal and gave me Oland....that NEVER happened in CK1 as you always pretty much had to take every province owned by those rulers to just get one.

It will surprise you sometimes too. As I was in a war with Ostergotland for Oland, the ruler of Ostergotland before I had even taken his last barony of the first province I attacked put up a peace proposal and gave me Oland....that NEVER happened in CK1 as you always pretty much had to take every province owned by those rulers to just get one.

Doh - i worked it out now.

Thanks everyone for your kind help to a beginner - steep learning curve, but I can see this game has a great community!

It makes sense with Mercs. They could deploy more quickly and more confidentially than levies - their actual employer might in fact be undisclosed, or they might be pawns or principals in a double game.

No it's WAD, it represents the fact that Medieval kings such as Henry II and John (of England) would have mercenary companies rather than rely on their feudal vassals because they could be used as standing armies thus easier to manoeuvre across England and France and they were more reliable than the barons.

It was implemented to prevent the OLD EXPLOIT of CK1 whereby players would take their armies right up to or next to the province they were going to invade and then declare war thus not giving their enemy/opponent (MP) enough time to react. An unfair advantage sotospeak.

Now players continue to EXPLOIT it by using MERCS since mercs don't count as your armies on the map. Hopefully Paradox will see this and remedy that and NERF it in a patch. ;)

How would they nerf it? They should't nerf it by forcing players to disband the mercs, as then you would have to pay full price to get them back, which would be harsh if you want to do back-to-back wars. Perhaps they could require that mercs are farther than one county away from your enemy. But if you are a one-county realm next to a one-county realm enemy, it would be very odd to move your mercs out of your own realm just you could declare war.

Last edited:

Your POST bothers me for SOME REASON but I can't PUT MY FINGER on it.

It DOESN'T NEED TO be nerfed, THOUGH.

If, in a MP game someone is massing troops on your border, you might want to consider whether a pre-emptive war is in your own interests.

Do you have any good ideas on how to "nerf" the issue of declaring war whilst you have mercenaries? Forcing you to disband them would be massively expensive and would be likely to be "unfair" since you'd risk them being hired immediately you disband them, and it would effectively mean that mercs were only any use for one offensive campaign.
Mercs aren't that useful anyway after the first hundred years or so if you've been careful, except to slightly bolster your numbers, or if a war has dragged on for far too long.

My idea would be to disallow declaring war as long as any of your merc units are not in friendly territory. That still makes them more useful than regular troops, as they can start attacking on day 1, but makes them less overpowered.
Also, the game already checks unit for being in friendly territory or not (to gauge the number of troops coming back if you were to disband them), so it doesn't even use any more processing power and isn't problematic to implement.

By friendly you mean "owned by you or a vassal"?

This still doesn't stop the "exploit" MoM is objecting to though, that of having an army on the border and the DoW and marching straight across before they can assemble their army.

"Friendly" as the same definition as for disbanding levies, yes.
And for realms of a certain minimum size, it does adequately reduce the power of mercenaries, I think. It does nothing to stop a count or small duke overrunning another count or duke, though, admittedly.
Honestly, I'd love for Paradox to add rally points per duchy or so, making it so that all troops of that duchy are raised in its capital province. That would make it significantly more difficult to overrung half your enemies army with mercs before he can consolidate them and reduce micromanagement for bigger realms.