+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: preventing the rise of the USA

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations

preventing the rise of the USA

So I am finally far enough into a game (circa 1750) to have a new problem. I colonized all of North America (as Great Britain) and got a nasty event: the USA gets cores on the Eastern Seaboard, and there is the risk of a srious revolt (the event says.) I resigned, and plan to go back to the "olderautosave" tonight. There were a couple of decisions where some guy shows up and spreads the stupid idea that human beings have the right to self-government (or some such sh*t) You get the choice of tolerating him or executing him and losing ground on your innovative and free subjects sliders. I chose the former; tonight I will choose the latter. Also, will switch an NI to Bill of Rights, I think to see if that keeps the RR down. (After the stab hit, ofc Will this work? Have you tried to avoid this revolution or just squashed it? I really don't want the USA to form - pain in the ass.

I don't believe any of the new world revolts are a cause for alarm. Just station a few more troops, move your national focus and "promote cultural unity" to remove the cores.

HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations

Thanks for that. The reason I was worried was because in Vicky 2, I got a communist revolt of something like 200 brigades late-game - spread all over Canada. But I was hoping I could just station troops along the seaboard and crush the revolt.

The event where nations of the new world get cores is unavoidable as far as I'm aware. It always happens in 1750, but it's not a huge deal, just like having a province which another nation has a core on (such as wales or scotland), maybe a bit higher RR but you should be able to contain any revolts easy enough.

Ship Simulator Extremes

The USA revolts are a bit of a joke in EU3 for players. It's a bit more of a problem for the AI who is pathetic at protecting overseas provinces but as a player just have troops dotted about here and there in your colonies and you'll be fine. Colonies tend to have really low revolt risk due to usually being your religion and culture so you'll do fine.

Imperium Romanum Sacrum Nationis Germanicę
    Sorry for being OT but DDRJake, you got a PM. Can you answer me pls?
    Bored of vanilla DW? Try out Death & Taxes mod! More balanced sliders/NI's, unique missions, more nations and an extended timeline (1356-1861) http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...s-and-More!%29

Thanks guys. Good to know. So I don't have to "back up" and mess up my sliders.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Well USA revolt was in fact, very lucky, i think that great britain could smash them easily if they would not. Actualy britain, got more, very experienced, with skilled leaders, well equiped army. Americans, got bunch of low morale peasants, armed mostly with pitchforks and some of them got guns if lucky. But they managed to win, using partisant tactics, and allying to forgein powers like france and netherlands.

In the long run it was anyway a war which UK only could lose. There is no chance of holding a large oversea territory with a growing population like the USA. In EU III it is not that hard, in real life it would be impossible.
    Bored of vanilla DW? Try out Death & Taxes mod! More balanced sliders/NI's, unique missions, more nations and an extended timeline (1356-1861) http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...s-and-More!%29

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Uebergold View Post
    In the long run it was anyway a war which UK only could lose. There is no chance of holding a large oversea territory with a growing population like the USA. In EU III it is not that hard, in real life it would be impossible.
    Well, it could be possible. If they would move their capital into america.

it's actually amazing that as much of the british empire lasted as long as it did, considering the attitudes in the home islands about overseas territories.

@Iwanow:
    In that case British Isles would have slipped off at some point

Maybe with the help of Napoleon? Oh, history. You are full of irony.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

The USA revolt was all but inevitable. The thing that makes it easy to put down in EUIII is that moving massive 100K + armies for a historically sized UK is nothing. Try playing the US start date. If you dont put a hurting on the UK quickly, their size and might will come crashing down from Canada, and any help from France or Spain is a longshot.

As for as the player, you should not worry. Even if they do revolt, you shouldhave an army and navy that will easily put down any revolt.
    I got more icons, and they're awesome!!!
    Glory, To Ruin, To Glory: A Majaphit AAR

Officially pysched for The Hobbit movies! *Prays for a new Middle Earth game that doesn't suck, looks at LotR Conquest and War in the North.*

What about those events that keep giving you stab hits or tax penalties? A time comes where it's just better to let them go methinks... Also, New World countries are cool!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

A while back i tried started a game on the revolution campaign, as suggested above, i was easily able to crush the AI army. My moderation actually caused me two major setbacks until i let loose the dogs of war. But i was not, iirc, able to annex or retake all of the colonies ... it was a heft BB hit and repeated wars to retake everything resulting in everyone wanting a piece of me.

In regards to the historical side of things, the war was not just a revolution but a civil war. From the extracts of just a few of the speeches made in the House of Commons, iirc there was little support for the war. As my own uni tutor puts it though, there was no benefit in fighting a fullscale war to retain the thirteen colonies (as it would cost a fortune) due to the simple fact they were no were near as profitable as the sugar islands. From an imperialist-capatlist point of view, it was a case of letting the dead horse go. Kind of came back to bite us in the ass when you look at it that way

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanow View Post
    Well USA revolt was in fact, very lucky, i think that great britain could smash them easily if they would not. Actualy britain, got more, very experienced, with skilled leaders, well equiped army. Americans, got bunch of low morale peasants, armed mostly with pitchforks and some of them got guns if lucky. But they managed to win, using partisant tactics, and allying to forgein powers like france and netherlands.
    Yes, on paper, the English had every advantage.

But their soldiers were demoralized (didn't have much interest in fighting their English-speaking cousins so far from the Isles), their generals were almost always completely incompetent (see Breed's Hill; "Gentleman" Borgoyne's leisurely march down from Canada), their weapons were actually sometimes inferior (bah, the revolutionaries didn't mostly use pitchforks), their tactics were suited to open European fields rather than hilly and heavily forested Eastern US, they had poor tactics, they alienated loyalists and neutral colonials by callous actions of the soldiers, they brought Hessian and Hannoverian mercenaries (which many colonials saw as offensive in a fight between English cousins), and the French who they had beaten up in 2 recent wars were more than happy to join with the upstart colonists (bringing along their friends Netherlands and Spain).

On the other hand, Britain had an unmatched Navy (although they failed to blockade effectively), they had the world's best trained army, more money, more population to conscript, access to Northern German mercenaries, strong support in Loyalist south, and soldiers stationed in major cities.
    Nationality: Yankee
    Religion: Catholic (ish)
    Ideology: Monarchist Restoration

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III CollectionRome GoldVictoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanow View Post
    Don't forget Spain. Anyways yeah we'd be screwed over if it wasn't for France wanting revenge over the last defeat in the 7 years war.. Anyways all I have to say is real life is stranger than fiction.. At times.
    "No. It is my sole ambition in life to go around forums and give false information to new people like op!" - cacra

Return of the Spartiates - An EU:Rome Spartan AAR - On Hold
    - Nominated winner of AAR weekly showcase Feb. 16, 2014

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Please continue the history discussion in the history forum. Thanks.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallenstein View Post
    Yes, on paper, the English had every advantage.

But their soldiers were demoralized (didn't have much interest in fighting their English-speaking cousins so far from the Isles), their generals were almost always completely incompetent (see Breed's Hill; "Gentleman" Borgoyne's leisurely march down from Canada), their weapons were actually sometimes inferior (bah, the revolutionaries didn't mostly use pitchforks), their tactics were suited to open European fields rather than hilly and heavily forested Eastern US, they had poor tactics, they alienated loyalists and neutral colonials by callous actions of the soldiers, they brought Hessian and Hannoverian mercenaries (which many colonials saw as offensive in a fight between English cousins), and the French who they had beaten up in 2 recent wars were more than happy to join with the upstart colonists (bringing along their friends Netherlands and Spain).

On the other hand, Britain had an unmatched Navy (although they failed to blockade effectively), they had the world's best trained army, more money, more population to conscript, access to Northern German mercenaries, strong support in Loyalist south, and soldiers stationed in major cities.
    Well we would say : "stiupid AI, failed to crush the revolt... LOL, ROFL"

Anyway just station 20k in america, and i am sure no revolt will spawn in there.

after 1750, hire a colonial governor advisor and the revolutions wont happen in your american colonies, though you could still lose provinces due to revolutions in colonies held by other nations-to counter this, make sure you own every province in the americas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast