• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Duke empties the Realm's coffers to pay for mercenaries. The Steward reacts with alarm, but there is nothing to be done. The war is won with days to spare before the Realm becomes bankrupt. The Duchy of Meath now comprises three Counties!

14-W.jpg

The Duke also has a claim to the County of Kildare, directly north of Ossory and west of Dublin. The Duke decides in principle to press the claim. But his Steward urges delay. "My Liege," he says, "the Realm needs time to rebuild its army -- and its treasury." Reluctantly, the Duke agrees to a brief delay.

In the meantime, there is a new Pope, which is to the Duke's liking, as the Duke's vassals like the Duke more than the Bishop of Rome. The Pope has, however, called a Crusade. Duke Domnall enthusiastically joins in, cheering from the safety of his castle in Dublin.

17-Po.jpg

Has it been mentioned that the new Duke is rather more Ambitious, and ruthless, than his father? The Duke's brother, the Chaplain, utters a few words of heresy. The Duke is not amused.

15-A.jpg

Duke Domnall walks through the castle Keep with his Steward. They are having the same conversation they have had daily for the past month. The Duke waves impatiently toward County Kildare. "I am ready to press the claim to Kildare," he says. "Even if you are not."

The Steward opens his mouth to protest, but then he sees the Chancellor approach, brandishing a piece of parchment.

"My Liege," says the Chancellor. "This news."

The Duke snatches the parchment from him and reads it. His face fills with rage.

16-U.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enraged, the Duke immediately takes steps to win back the Duchy stolen from him. He orders his Chancellor, a skilled kinsman, to fabricate claims to Kildare.

01-Ch.jpg

Some of the Duke's advisors disparage fabrication of claims; they advocate simple usurpation of the title Duchy of Meath instead. Not sure whom to believe, the Duke pursues both policies.

02-Ti.jpg

The Duke also moves to ensure his succession will be orderly. His son, Matudan, comes of age. He is an able boy, although he still speaks like a lass.

03-M.jpg

Duke Domnall arranges for his son to marry the daughter of the King of Croatia. Not a bad match, but she does not appear likely ever to wear her father's crown.

03-Ma.jpg

The Scots are making worrisome advances into Ireland, having occupied Ulster. Duke Domnall never in his life imagined that peaceful Northern Ireland would become a bloody battleground.

05-U-Black.jpg

Domnall's secret goal, never spoken aloud, is to unite Ireland and proclaim himself King. To do this, he will need to move north, to stem the Scotch tide. For now he lacks the legal claims and the soldiers to do so. But he does have another weapon: his little grandson.

It may be recalled that Domnall married his genius daughter Cacht to the Duke of Moray, an important Scottish Duchy. Cacht's son is now the heir of the Duchy of Moray!

04-Moray.jpg

Very good stuff, hugely enjoying the more assertive character of the current Duke, nowhere near as shrinking a violet as his father. I'm not sure if he will unify Ireland in his own reign, but he can certainly lay the foundations of such unification for his heir.

The Duke will be happy if he does manage to lay that foundation. Interestingly, however, there is currently no King of Ireland. The Duke is unsure how to create a Kingdom that does not yet exist.

The Chancellor's chicanery succeeds, and the Duke now has a casus belli, legally justifying him to march into Kildare. The Duke wastes no time doing so.

06-K.jpg

The Duke finds it prudent, however, to direct the campaign from Dublin.

07-Sw.jpg

Victory is swift! Unaccountably, the Duke's Herald has named the war incorrectly. The Herald will be ... corrected.

08-AV.jpg

At any rate, Duke Domnall now controls four Counties of Ireland. "You have done well," he says to his Chancellor and Marshall. "Now we must look to the north."

08-V.jpg

It is 1101 A.D.; Duke Domnall has been ruling for twenty-five tranquil years. But even at his advanced age, he is still producing offspring. His wife gives birth to a boy, Ryan -- the Duke's second son, who stands to take some of the primary heir's inheritance. Gavelkind succession is still the law here in Dublin.

11-S-1101.jpg

Within days of little Ryan's birth, the Duke's Spymaster approaches the Duke and lays before him this message. The Heir's wife -- the Duke's daughter-in-law -- does not care to share, even with a newborn.

12-P.jpg

This Duke, made of sterner stuff than his father, has never tolerated this sort of scheming in the past. He opens his mouth to give the order for Mirjana's execution. But before he can speak, his Chancellor rushes forward.

"My liege," he says. "If I may. If the lady lives, she will be the wife of the next Duke. Consider her diplomatic skills: they are extraordinary, the best in the Realm. Indeed, she is an unusually capable woman. She would help the next Duke rule." He shuffles some parchment. "It also bears mentioning that she is a Princess of Croatia with a claim on the Kingdom there."

21-Cro.jpg

The Duke glares at him, then sighs. "Very well," he says. "We will give her a stern warning. God hope you are correct about her abilities."

"Thank you, my Liege." He hesitates. "If I may, my Liege. There is also some evidence that the Heir himself is plotting against baby Ryan. Many of the same considerations apply to that case as well. He will be an exceptional successor."

The Duke closes his eyes but nods. "Make it so," he says.

The Chancellor turns to take his leave, but the Duke calls him back. "If we must indulge in softness at home, let us be firm abroad. The Earl of Oriel, to the north, defies my efforts at vassalization. Go forth and argue a claim to that land."

The Chancellor has no such arguments at his disposal. He does, however, possess a fine set of forging tools. Within a few months, the Duke has a satisfactory casus belli on the Earl of Oriel. The Duke orders his troops to march.

14-W2.jpg