• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The film is "Kingdom of Heaven" the 2005 Ridley Scott film that is set (roughly) in the same time period as this AAR. This is a good read, it will be interesting to see if you can hold.

Kill Reynald ASAP. That old quarrellmaker will bring havoc to the KoJ.

Kurt_Steiner: Indeed. Just imagine what kind of king he could have been had he not suffered from leprosy, for example.

One of those AARs that I will never write but I started to play dealt with a healthy Baldwin.

Very good stuff. I was rather surprised that you managed to defeat Saladin, although with Richard on side I suppose I shouldn't have been! Lots of plotting since then, Sibylla and Richard rightly taking the throne for the good of the kingdom. They have been busy centralising power since then, once again for the good of the kingdom and, of course, poor Eschiva's death was for the good of the kingdom!

You may have addressed this already but have you given any thought to what may happen if Richard inherits his father's realm. He wasn't know to be the most steadfast of rulers. I suppose a readly supply of heathans to slaughter may keep him faithful.

RESPONSES

teltabornok and Rich028: I'm happy to see that Rich028 beat me to the punch. The majority of the screencaps are indeed from Ridley Scott's 2005 Kingdom of Heaven. However, a few of them are also from Scott's 2010 film Robin Hood. Interestingly enough, Richard the Lionheart is the bridge between those films, featuring at the very end of one and the beginning of the other. In answer to teltabornok's inquiry about the first picture in the latest update, that one is actually a capture from a cutscene in another game, Medieval II: Total War. I thought it was appropriate for Richard due to all of the red lion banners. Hope that helps. Thanks for commenting!

Kurt_Steiner: Don't think I haven't tried. That old boy is resilient. Still, he can't live forever.

morningSIDEr: Thank you sir! You raise a good point re: the good of the kingdom. It is remarkably easy to rationalize all sorts of misdeeds in the name of bettering the common good. We'll have to see how long Sibylla is able to maintain that harsh course of action without it taking its toll on her.

ragbe: Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the story.

Estonianzulu: I have considered the possibility, though it has yet to come up. Apparently Richard's early absence from the Angevin Empire created an environment that was a little more conducive to the survival of his elder brother, Henry "the Young King." You do raise a good point about Richard's recklessness and inconstancy though. He's a born adventurer, not an administrator. Hopefully he'll be able to keep his focus if he's given lots of opportunities for wanton slaughter...

AlexanderPrimus, another excellent update. All I ask for is MOAR!

If Sibylla has a male child, you might consider helping Henry 'the Young King' find Jesus when her heir is close to majority. Could be too expensive, and might bring the Angevin Empire down on her head...but ah, what a prize!

Maybe find a plotter in France bent on assassinating the Young King. Some Palestinian gold should quicken his efforts.

I'm surprised that Sibylla didn't just revoke Reynald title and throw him in the dungeon when he decided to say No. Easiest way to keep a secret is to kill everyone else involved.

Can't wait for the next update.

Bagricula: Thanks! I wish I knew the easiest way to find individuals who are engaged in various plots. As far as I can tell, that information is really only accessible through the Spymaster's individual efforts. Also, should Richard inherit England (and Henry II's half of France), it might have some unforeseen consequences, the first of which is pulling Richard away from his vital defense of the Holy Land. Still, it would be very nice to inherit the Angevin Empire. I wonder what Prince John is up to right about now...

slokiller: I really wish it were that simple. I technically could have Sibylla imprison Reynald and revoke his titles. I actually tried that on Tiberias in my pre-patch playthrough to prevent the debacle of him dying without heirs. The consequences are very, very bad. If your victim is not a demonstrably-proven traitor, you get a huge relations hit with all your vassals. In that particular game, all my vassals revolted simultaneously, the Muslims smelled blood and dog-piled me almost immediately. I've got to play it on the sly if I want to survive.

slokiller: I really wish it were that simple. I technically could have Sibylla imprison Reynald and revoke his titles. I actually tried that on Tiberias in my pre-patch playthrough to prevent the debacle of him dying without heirs. The consequences are very, very bad. If your victim is not a demonstrably-proven traitor, you get a huge relations hit with all your vassals. In that particular game, all my vassals revolted simultaneously, the Muslims smelled blood and dog-piled me almost immediately. I've got to play it on the sly if I want to survive.

There can be some sneaky ways to deal with vassals you want out of the picture, but most tools in Crusader Kings are more like an axe than a scapel.

naggy: Hah, ain't that the truth! I spent several years trying unsuccessfully to plot against Reynald. I don't recall if Etienette de Milly had a really high intrigue score or if it was just bad luck on my part, but I just could not seem to take them out. The worst part is when your assassins are discovered, whether or not they actually succeeded. Everybody gets mad. My position in Jerusalem is still so tenuous that I can't afford to have rebellious vassals. It's a wonder my Chancellor and Chaplain had time to do anything besides damage control. Got any ideas for the best way to neutralize Reynald's threat?

Nice plotting, the blend of gameplay, plotting and explaining makes it a good read and tutorial.
Hope it unfolds as good as the original or better :)

Add him to your council and remove him until he has -100 opinion. :)

Excellent story. When in doubt get the Chuch to do it for you. Get them to exommiunicate him and you can then claim his lands and titles. You may want to work on the Pope to call a Crusade before Jerusalem falls directed aginst Saladin.

Chief Ragusa: Thanks for commenting. :) The Pope... that's the part I'm still trying to figure out. Is there any other way to influence him besides just sending your Chaplain to schmooze with him? Because I'd really love a bit more influence in selecting which provinces get crusaded against.

Chief Ragusa: Thanks for commenting. :) The Pope... that's the part I'm still trying to figure out. Is there any other way to influence him besides just sending your Chaplain to schmooze with him? Because I'd really love a bit more influence in selecting which provinces get crusaded against.

I dunno I guess you could give him territory, thats what I did as King of Italy, or give him cash?

Kingslanding: Thanks for dropping by. Guess I can't please everybody all the time. What I've got here is a history book/gameplay hybrid AAR: a little of both for those who prefer each. I've been trying to showcase the features of the game because it is so new, but I can't depart from my love of the history either.

JackTheRipper21: I don't have a lot of extra land available to parcel out, and I certainly don't want the Pope as a neighbor. As for cash... it's not possible to money-spam reputation any more.

Chief Ragusa: What I said to Jack above. After the first gift (which increases relations by +20), it's not possible to give another gift to improve reputation for... I don't know how long. Quite a while. Enjoy the game!