• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would love to see Sibylla's lovely face with the shadow of the hangover in her eyes. Barnabas, Barnabas, Barnabas...

Can you reveal the location of the crusade? I know the pope called one or I think he did if you have Scots, Poles, Germans, French and the like marching in the holy land. I can imagine Sibylla might be tempted to sign a peace with Saladin but would the European crusaders really be satisfied with a white peace?

This last update was awesome! It's a pity you can't counter-attack and go conquer infidel land, as CK2 won't allow it. The best you can get is some money and a 10 year truce (if Saladin doesn't break it).

This last update was awesome! It's a pity you can't counter-attack and go conquer infidel land, as CK2 won't allow it. The best you can get is some money and a 10 year truce (if Saladin doesn't break it).

Defender doesn't get a truce.

Great account of the battle, glad to see that Frederick didn't fall in a river this time!

Saladin will be back. I hope.

Again, yay Barbarossa! He didn't disappoint :happy:

Poor Philip. I would also be a bit unpleasant if I had dystentery, my fellow crusaders snuck out in order to conduct negotiations without me, and even my own retainers could not keep a look of disgust off their face whenever I turned my back to them. I think I am going to like the old, well 29 year old, crank, if he at least is somewhat witty in his world weariness.

Last edited:
The first Barbarossa update was delightfully well-written -- Richard is quite a character, and the looming German horde was well-framed. You made it easy to get swept up in the excitement of the crusade. The war itself, despite Reynard's defeat, seemed to be a bit of a cake-walk due to your good fortune; heaven knows what might have occurred had Barbarossa not arrived.

And the picture you picked for the French king is wonderful. What a look of disgust that guy standing behind stinky-pants has!

The Crusade cometh. Richard and Sybella could take the object of the Crusade -assuming there was one. and not just protect Jerusalem.
There's only one meeting for Saladin and Richard. That's the one where Saladin dies.

Pity about poor Reynald. It must be very tempting to leave him rotting in a Muslim jail.

RESPONSES

Creideki: Thanks. :) We'll see a bit more of the eponymous "Crusader Kings" before this tale is through.

General_BT: Reverse Hattin indeed. I thought the irony would be pretty delicious. Plus, I've always wondered what would have happened with Barbarossa's massive crusader army had he not drowned.

loki100: Glad you liked it. If Saladin was wise, I think he would take your advice. However, the AI in these games is seldom particularly wise...

Kurt_Steiner: I don't think there's any screencaps from Kingdom of Heaven with a hungover Sibylla, I'm sorry to say. Who's Barnabas?

Uaronain: All in good time, my friend. :D That information will be revealed in the next update.

Kurospidey: Indeed. Holy wars really ought to go both ways. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, and if the defender does well enough to turn the tables on the attacker, you better believe they'd take advantage of the conflict. I'd love to be able to press some claims in this conflict and not have to wait.

naggy: Does the defender get a truce if they're the one that "peaces out?"

Saithis: Thank you! Don't worry, we'll be seeing more of both Emperor Redbeard and everybody's favorite Sultan.

Andrzej I: We Germans aim to please. :D

Willum: I agree. Dysentery can't be a very pleasant experience. Although he has yet to prominently feature in the story, I hope to make poor Phil into an interesting character before I'm through.

phargle: Good to see you around, old chap! I'm very pleased you enjoyed the update. And yes, you are correct in assuming that there was a fear amount of luck involved. The real question is how long it will last. I laughed at your remarks re: King Philip. That actor was a natural choice, as he really did play the character of King Philip in Ridley Scott's 2010 film Robin Hood. Though why that French knight looks like he's caught a whiff of a dead animal is anybody's guess. Maybe that actor had dysentery too.

Chief Ragusa: I think everyone is going to be surprised when I reveal the real target of the crusade. And yes, I have no desire to fish Reynald out of prison. He's gotten what he deserves. I'm not even sure if it's possible to get him out. Any demands for ransom would be sent to his personal demesne for Etienette de Milly to pay.

Kurt_Steiner: I don't think there's any screencaps from Kingdom of Heaven with a hungover Sibylla, I'm sorry to say. Who's Barnabas?

I know, I know.

Barnabas Collins was a character from a British soap opera from the 60s or so, Dark Shadows, which has been turned into a film, with Johnny Deep playing Barnabas and dear Eva Green being his ultra-enemy. Just seen the trailer. Too lovely.

Thanks for letting me know of that movie, just saw the trailer on youtube, and MAN! That move I MUST see!:D

Lord Blekinge: Thanks very much. I hope you continue to enjoy the tale.

naggy: Good to know.

Sematary: Oh, don't worry. Saladin has plenty of achievements of his own to brag about. Although oddly enough, the very successful real-life Saladin was all but forgotten until his memory was revived by European romanticists.

Kurt_Steiner: Thanks for explaining. I wonder if I could get over the creepiness of that being a Tim Burton film enough to enjoy the comedy.

Nikolai: I agree, that was a well-done trailer. I'm afraid the jury's still out though.

A crushing victory against Saladin, the various crusaders arriving in the nick of time. Glad to read that there is still far more action to come!