+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which year to play?

Which year to play?

Hi
    I was wondering if anybody was playing another startingyear besides 1066?
    I have just noticed that many seems to start there, even my self, at Stamford bridge...
    So, im interessed in knowing if some people start later, and why? Just curious...

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindahl View Post
    Hi
    I have just noticed that many seems to start there, even my self, at Stamford bridge...
    So, im interessed in knowing if some people start later, and why? Just curious...
    has anybody finished a full grand campaign all the way to 1453 yet?
    a lot wouldn't want to play a shorter late game start unless you've fully experienced the "grand campaign" anyway

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

while i have not finished a game yet i am at 1109 or 1110 right now as the count of Northampton i like to play starting 1066 as it gives me more time to play the later dates make it shorter and we dont want that now do we

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I cant see myself ever playing the Stamford Bridge scenario unless I am playing as one of the parties fighting over England. Other than that, I want a Norman England and the easiest way to ensure that is achieved is to start on the Dec 1066 start.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne

I'm realy happy that it's possible to chose any start date you like. That's way i set my clock on 15 July 1099 when Kingdom of Jerusalem apears on the map. It's only 33 years after first possible starting date, so you still have a lot of time to play.

Beautiful and Unique Snowflake Raczynski's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Vindahl View Post
    Hi
    I start in 1081 when I want to play Byzantium because Alexios Komnenos, and f*** these Doukas people.

I'm realy happy that it's possible to chose any start date you like. That's way i set my clock on 15 July 1099 when Kingdom of Jerusalem apears on the map. It's only 33 years after first possible starting date, so you still have a lot of time to play.
    Is it just me or should the muslim-owned counties south of Tortosa start owned by Raymond of Toulouse at that start?
    A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV

If you're tired of seeing a monster Byzantium in every game, try starting after 1071, or somewhere between 1077-87 if you're feeling cruel. Those are probably more interesting starting points for playing in Byzantium itself, as well.
    This post is is liable to be still under construction up to 10 minutes after its initial posting.

I start December 10th 1081, the day Alexius Komnenos assumes the throne. Not only does it give me control of one of the greatest emperors in Byzantine history, but it is after Manzikert (1071), and thus all of Asia Minor (other than Abydos) is lost to the Sultanate of Rum.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Raczynski View Post
    Is it just me or should the muslim-owned counties south of Tortosa start owned by Raymond of Toulouse at that start?
    The County of Tripoli (1109–1289) was captured and created by Christian forces in 1109.

One good date I liked to muck around in is when all the Crusading Kingdoms are established. It's hard and challenging to play as the Duchy of Acre, especially if you try to keep your independence without kow-towing to the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Beautiful and Unique Snowflake Raczynski's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by krzychon View Post
    The County of Tripoli (1109–1289) was captured and created by Christian forces in 1109.
    Thanks. I thought I spotted a bug
    A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire.

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

It always depends on what game as which dynasty you want to have. Having free starting year is an enormous advantage we didn't have before. So why not usng it to its full potential?
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

+ Reply to Thread