• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That Silvester was clearly not suited to ruling. Adolf was just as daft revolting against the Emperor. Why did he think a paragon of virtue like Oberto III would dream of revolting? Looking forward to the reign of Fred.

Last edited:
25 - Ambitions, Assassinations, and Apulia - truly a triple A chapter!

I get to deal with the usual issues...family trying to kill each other...hey wait, that's Oberto's eldest son! I let him out to get a quick relations bonus while I decide what to do long term.

Good to see Oberto is displaying the same gift for parenting as his predecessors, releasing men intent upon assassinating his son and heir, no harm in such stuff. Furthermore if something was to happen to his son it may not be the worst of things, after all imagine naming your child Castore following the brilliant exploits of all named Oberto!

Holland revolting from the HRE, that's a first for me.

First kid was born before I had control.

sort of feel that obi-3 is only slowly adapting to the expectations of the familial traditions. So nice that after you've whacked Silvester around he likes you all the more ... hadn't realised that CK2 had a masochism trait

It's a hidden trait.

That Silvester was clearly not suited to ruling. Adolf was just as daft revolting against the Emperor. Why did he think a paragon of virtue like Oberto III would dream of revolting? Looking forward to the reign of Fred.

I guess he wanted company in prison.

I think Duke Adolf is a tad insane. Must be something about that name...

Hrm...possibly.

25 - Ambitions, Assassinations, and Apulia - truly a triple A chapter!

Thank you!

Good to see Oberto is displaying the same gift for parenting as his predecessors, releasing men intent upon assassinating his son and heir, no harm in such stuff. Furthermore if something was to happen to his son it may not be the worst of things, after all imagine naming your child Castore following the brilliant exploits of all named Oberto!

No blood, no foul.

Holland revolting from the HRE, that's a first for me.

Attempting to revolt, at least.

Wonderful AAR! Will be following ;). Also, how do you dare not to name your son Oberto?

Thank you!

good AAR.:) will follow

Thank you!

It seems this needs some... correction.

Nah.

Wonderful AAR! I recently got CKII, thanks for the tips!
Keep it up.

Will do!

Chapter 26 - Holy Toledo

Oberto's new son Chiaffredo is beautiful, healthy, and weak. Reports that he wears all black are unsubstantiated, but the court has taken to calling him "the Emo" for some strange reason. They're just jealous because he's more awesome as an infant than half of them will ever be.

26-Chiaffredo.jpg

In November 1138, the Count of Ferrara revolts, allowing me a free shot to press my ducal claim on Brescia. Again, they surrender before I can take it.

Wha?

26-EmperorAdolf.jpg

This is a good start to the reign:

26-AdolfOpinion.jpg

One advantage to handing newly conquered lands to vassals is that they convert land for you. Menorca and Castellon convert during 1139. Meanwhile, I declare war against the Emir of Beja, who controls about 1/3rd of Iberia, and has attacked the duchy of Aragon.

26-AdolfOpinion.jpg

The Emperor helps out by trying to raise my levies. Meanwhile, Oberto's wife gives him some advice, leaving him Content.

26-Content.jpg

I declared war knowing that Aragon had the 2 holy orders in the same war...but this positioning of armies may be problematic...

26-Armies.jpg

I let Beja's armies do some sieging, then I hire some Mercs and attack.

26-Armies2.jpg

26-BofElPedregal.jpg

Stimpy! You iiiiiiiidiiiiot! You're in the wrong AAR!

26-Cathars.jpg

With their armies crushed, Beja surrenders to Aragon - lucky for me, Beja was the attacker. Unlucky for me, they re-raise their levies, forcing me to kill some more poor saps.

26-Battles.jpg

Here they come again...

26-MoreArmies.jpg

Meanwhile, I haven't reconverted Pavia fast enough, resulting in some Papal whining.

26-Heretics.jpg

Finally, in March 1143, the Emir of Beja surrenders. Carmillo di Parma is made the new Duke of Toledo after the bishoprics are passed out.

26-Bejapeace.jpg

While I wasn't looking, the Duke of Anjou gobbled up the Duchy of Barcelona.

26-Anjou.jpg

The Iberian peninsula is always a mess. Are you planning on carving out an empire in those lands? I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Unfortunately, Mauritania and Beja control 3/4 of Iberia between them, and both are decently strong. Slows the process down.

Wait, the Duke of Holland bested the Emperor alone? What the?!

Well, at least Oberto had the foresight to honour his alliance with the Duke of Holland-oh wait.

Truly rather strange. Good that you are making strong progress in Iberia though, bad that the newly crowned Emperor seems to rather dislike you for some reason.

The Iberian peninsula is always a mess.

So is France apparently. Are they in civil war or have Anjou, Aquitaine, et al gained independence? Also, Anjou getting involved in Iberia makes carving out your own empire there more difficult. I'm guessing Oberto's next move is pressing a ducal claim on Valencia.

Holland's usurpation of the Emperor reminds me: when does the Kingdom of Sicily plan on forging its own destiny outside of the HRE?

Is the emperor now actually dutch or did he convert to german ?
If he's dutch, then hopefully he hangs on to his pipe, wondering what all the erupting trouble is about ? Peace, maaaan. ;)

There was a screenshot of the Emperor losing a war and was sent back to his Duchy: Holland.
If I recall correctly it was the one where Adelheid became the Emperess for a very short time. Maybe he (the old Emperor) or his son pressed his claims?
Now if only someone can find the screenshot in question...:happy:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That's one of the more amazing things I've heard regarding this game. How on earth could Holland have actually won? Amazing.

If you capture the opposing ruler in a battle, you can force them to accede to demands.