• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 21 - A new wife, a new outlook on life

July 4, 1121: Now that Oberto is a King, he asks politely for the Emperor to transfer vassals to him that belong to the Kingdom of Sicily. Surely, he will be understanding and acquiesce.

21-AskforVassals.jpg

"Dear Oberto: You are a bedrock of loyalty (having plotted to overthrow a previous Kaiser). I would love to hand vassals over to you, and the Bible supports your view...after the apocalypse. The specific passage said something like 'When Lady Gaga becomes Queen of England'."

I'm sure that means I'll get 'em in a week or so.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/carthagebrujah/PAARma/21-Dropdead.21 - Drop dead

Look at all these di Parmas! They're all going to want duchies, aren't they?

[IMG]http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/carthagebrujah/PAARma/21-HousediParma.jpg

Now that I'm King of Sicily, picking off the remaining Sicilian rulers is easy as pie. Besides, I need somewhere to park my navy.

21-DoWTaranto.jpg

In May 1122, the Byzantines pass Medium Crown Authority. They keep losing authority from plots, I think.

Siracusa converts in July 1123. In August, Duke Silvester of Apulia hands Taranto over to Oberto. No word on Tweety's reaction.

21-Tarantoceded.jpg

To make room in my demense, I hand Capua off to Grandson Oberto (I have no idea why...I should have handed him Apulia.)

In October, Oberto nearly is kidnapped. How this doesn't result in a negative trait (paranoia, anyone?), I don't know.

21-Kidnappers.jpg

In November, Queen Consort Octreda passes away. As a dutiful husband, Oberto shacks up with up a nubile young courtier later that day.

21-Octredadies.jpg

21-Newwife.jpg

So, Oberto rises from a powerful count, to a Duke of 7 duchies, then to the King of Sicily, but he doesn't become an optimist until he shacks up with a 17 year old?

21-Cynicallost.jpg

Ah well, "ignorance is bliss". Now we know who started this proverb.
Not only a good father and parent but a wholehearted husband.

What a superb italian that is....:laugh:

good to see that Oberto maintains such a keen interest in the fate of his immediate family, falling into long seconds of grief every time one goes and dies

seems like you're well on the way to uniting most of Italy but still caught between two Empires?

So, Oberto rises from a powerful count, to a Duke of 7 duchies, then to the King of Sicily, but he doesn't become an optimist until he shacks up with a 17 year old?

Power is the greatest aphrodisiac. *nods*

Siracusa converts in July 1123. In August, Duke Silvester of Apulia hands Taranto over to Oberto. No word on Tweety's reaction.

Sufferin' succotash!

I have to agree with Aardvark Bellay and loki, Oberto is a brilliant role model. A heroic warrior, devoted father and now also shown to be a dutiful, loving husband, truly a brilliant man! Surely the Emperor will acknowledge such brilliance and soon hand over the requested vassals.

That would do it for me.

She loves me for my...personality.

Ah well, "ignorance is bliss". Now we know who started this proverb.
Not only a good father and parent but a wholehearted husband.

What a superb italian that is....:laugh:

They need to add a very rare event where you find out your wife wasn't actually dead, and have to explain why you already have another wife.

good to see that Oberto maintains such a keen interest in the fate of his immediate family, falling into long seconds of grief every time one goes and dies

seems like you're well on the way to uniting most of Italy but still caught between two Empires?

"She would have wanted this...she wanted me to remarry...for the children. Future children."

And the Byzantines aren't really a worry for me right now.

Power is the greatest aphrodisiac. *nods*

Exactly.

Sufferin' succotash!

I have to agree with Aardvark Bellay and loki, Oberto is a brilliant role model. A heroic warrior, devoted father and now also shown to be a dutiful, loving husband, truly a brilliant man! Surely the Emperor will acknowledge such brilliance and soon hand over the requested vassals.

Frankly, he belongs in one of your AARs. :)

Chapter 22 - A pointless war in Barcelona

October 2, 1124: Trapani converts, bringing all of Sicily to the Catholic fold.

In May 1125, the Kaiser grants me the title of Seneschal. It's neat how the AI actually does give out these titles to try and keep people on the edge of revolt from revolting.

22-Seneschal.jpg

I respond by making Oberto's grandson his cupbearer. I'm not sure why I did it, just seemed fun.

This had to be an awkward conversation. "So, how's prison? Yeah? Wow...hey, can my son marry your daughter in a few years?" More of that famous Oberto empathy.

22-Betrothalinjail.jpg

In July, I pass Large City tax, because money is good.

Since things are getting boring, I organize a Grand Hunt in September.

22-GrandHunt.jpg

2 of the best events on the same day! I get Master Hunter (+.1 prestige and +1 martial for 6 months) and the Diligent trait.

22-Goodevents.jpg

And the hunt is over, without anyone getting wounded, killed, wroth, or slothful. Hunting is almost always worth it. Unless you die.

22-Huntends.jpg

Meanwhile, the Emperor declares war on the excommunicated King of Denmark. Luckily, he doesn't decide to borrow my armies. That leaves me free to poach some claimants so I can clean up Sicily.

22-ClaimantsforBari.jpg

Oooh, and I can grab Barcelona too! (or so I thought...didn't realize that this doesn't work).

22-ClaimantsforBarcelona.jpg

With a claimant for the Duchy of Barcelona in hand, I attack.

22-DoWBarcelona.jpg

The war is pretty straightforward - I'm bigger, crush their armies, and siege them until they give up in July 1128. This is where I find out that since they're not in my dynasty, not my de jure vassal, and not already a duke, that all I've done is split Barcelona in half. Since I'm wrong culture and not de jure liege, even a very grateful duke won't join up.

22-Barcelonasplit.jpg

I forgot to take a screenshot of the choices here, but I ended up with the +1 intrigue and deceitful. Can't imagine that one...

22-Deceitful.jpg

Frankly, he belongs in one of your AARs. :)

He's far too able to suffer such a fate!

The war with Barcelona seemed rather messy but it simply shows Oberto's great nature once again, taking on a ruler named Duke Pere the Cruel, clearly he fought this war to aid the poor peasants suffering under Pere's rule. I also have this fantastic mental image of Oberto resting a cup upon his grandon's head following the award of the title, character building stuff!

Well, it's about time I got around to reading this.

I've made it through the first three pages and I must say I'm impressed. Your work is both entertaining and well-written.

It's been a very good read so far and I'm looking forward to the rest.

you could always hold the wedding of Jacob and Deidre in the prison cell?

Doing the prison chain shuffle down the aisle should be rather amusing.

He's far too able to suffer such a fate!

There is that.

The war with Barcelona seemed rather messy but it simply shows Oberto's great nature once again, taking on a ruler named Duke Pere the Cruel, clearly he fought this war to aid the poor peasants suffering under Pere's rule. I also have this fantastic mental image of Oberto resting a cup upon his grandon's head following the award of the title, character building stuff!

Yes, he split a powerful duchy that is next to lots of muslims in half. :)

But you can't be King and Seneschal! Not of Gondor anyway...

Makes me think we need a flavor crusade against Mordor, with the single option of "One does not simply walk into Mordor..."

Well, it's about time I got around to reading this.

I've made it through the first three pages and I must say I'm impressed. Your work is both entertaining and well-written.

It's been a very good read so far and I'm looking forward to the rest.

Thank you!

Chapter 23 - The Death of Oberto I

June 24, 1129 - Sometimes, CK2 has a profound sense of irony. These two events happened on the same day.

23-Gold.jpg

23-Wife.jpg

It's like Scrooge McDuck finding love mid-dive into his vault of gold coins.

Meanwhile, it's time to plan some more wars to unite Sicily.

23-Apuliaclaim.jpg

Everything's all ready...let's declare wa...

23-KingObertoIdies.jpg

Oberto at death:

23-ObertoIIfinal.jpg

Last edited:
Oberto II will obviously be admired twice as much by his vassals than Oberto I.
But Oberto wont care, as he had probably already forgotten having a father once....just like him.
Family tradition.

well if Oberto keeps to his father's traditions in things such as mourning lost relatives, he'll be off to war in the morning?

More than likely! If Oberto II shows even half the compassion, bravery and general brilliance of Oberto I he'll prove a wonderful ruler and a wonderful person.

well if Oberto keeps to his father's traditions in things such as mourning lost relatives, he'll be off to war in the morning?

What better way to honor your dead warmongering father than with more war?