+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Parmesan Cheese - The Rise (or fall) of the di Parma dynasty

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

Chapter 21 - A new wife, a new outlook on life

July 4, 1121: Now that Oberto is a King, he asks politely for the Emperor to transfer vassals to him that belong to the Kingdom of Sicily. Surely, he will be understanding and acquiesce.

"Dear Oberto: You are a bedrock of loyalty (having plotted to overthrow a previous Kaiser). I would love to hand vassals over to you, and the Bible supports your view...after the apocalypse. The specific passage said something like 'When Lady Gaga becomes Queen of England'."

I'm sure that means I'll get 'em in a week or so.

[IMG]http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/carthagebrujah/PAARma/21-Dropdead.21 - Drop dead

Look at all these di Parmas! They're all going to want duchies, aren't they?

Now that I'm King of Sicily, picking off the remaining Sicilian rulers is easy as pie. Besides, I need somewhere to park my navy.

In May 1122, the Byzantines pass Medium Crown Authority. They keep losing authority from plots, I think.

Siracusa converts in July 1123. In August, Duke Silvester of Apulia hands Taranto over to Oberto. No word on Tweety's reaction.

To make room in my demense, I hand Capua off to Grandson Oberto (I have no idea why...I should have handed him Apulia.)

In October, Oberto nearly is kidnapped. How this doesn't result in a negative trait (paranoia, anyone?), I don't know.

In November, Queen Consort Octreda passes away. As a dutiful husband, Oberto shacks up with up a nubile young courtier later that day.

So, Oberto rises from a powerful count, to a Duke of 7 duchies, then to the King of Sicily, but he doesn't become an optimist until he shacks up with a 17 year old?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by naggy View Post
    So, Oberto rises from a powerful count, to a Duke of 7 duchies, then to the King of Sicily, but he doesn't become an optimist until he shacks up with a 17 year old?
    That would do it for me.
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

General Grumpalodian Aardvark Bellay's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries
    Ah well, "ignorance is bliss". Now we know who started this proverb.
    Not only a good father and parent but a wholehearted husband.

What a superb italian that is....
    [Micromod] - Old Building Names (Pre-1.10-building-names for CK2)

CK2 Mods: User Mod Index (Don't forget to post about your mod compatibility)
    Deutsch CK2: German CK2 Sub-Forum (go there for the german translation 'repair' mod)

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

good to see that Oberto maintains such a keen interest in the fate of his immediate family, falling into long seconds of grief every time one goes and dies

seems like you're well on the way to uniting most of Italy but still caught between two Empires?

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Power is the greatest aphrodisiac. *nods*
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Siracusa converts in July 1123. In August, Duke Silvester of Apulia hands Taranto over to Oberto. No word on Tweety's reaction.
    Sufferin' succotash!

I have to agree with Aardvark Bellay and loki, Oberto is a brilliant role model. A heroic warrior, devoted father and now also shown to be a dutiful, loving husband, truly a brilliant man! Surely the Emperor will acknowledge such brilliance and soon hand over the requested vassals.
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melrick View Post
    That would do it for me.
    She loves me for my...personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark Bellay View Post
    Ah well, "ignorance is bliss". Now we know who started this proverb.
    Not only a good father and parent but a wholehearted husband.

What a superb italian that is....
    They need to add a very rare event where you find out your wife wasn't actually dead, and have to explain why you already have another wife.

Quote Originally Posted by loki100 View Post
    good to see that Oberto maintains such a keen interest in the fate of his immediate family, falling into long seconds of grief every time one goes and dies

seems like you're well on the way to uniting most of Italy but still caught between two Empires?
    "She would have wanted this...she wanted me to remarry...for the children. Future children."

And the Byzantines aren't really a worry for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    Power is the greatest aphrodisiac. *nods*
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by morningSIDEr View Post
    Sufferin' succotash!

I have to agree with Aardvark Bellay and loki, Oberto is a brilliant role model. A heroic warrior, devoted father and now also shown to be a dutiful, loving husband, truly a brilliant man! Surely the Emperor will acknowledge such brilliance and soon hand over the requested vassals.
    Frankly, he belongs in one of your AARs.

Blog Entries

Chapter 22 - A pointless war in Barcelona

October 2, 1124: Trapani converts, bringing all of Sicily to the Catholic fold.

In May 1125, the Kaiser grants me the title of Seneschal. It's neat how the AI actually does give out these titles to try and keep people on the edge of revolt from revolting.

I respond by making Oberto's grandson his cupbearer. I'm not sure why I did it, just seemed fun.

This had to be an awkward conversation. "So, how's prison? Yeah? Wow...hey, can my son marry your daughter in a few years?" More of that famous Oberto empathy.

In July, I pass Large City tax, because money is good.

Since things are getting boring, I organize a Grand Hunt in September.

2 of the best events on the same day! I get Master Hunter (+.1 prestige and +1 martial for 6 months) and the Diligent trait.

And the hunt is over, without anyone getting wounded, killed, wroth, or slothful. Hunting is almost always worth it. Unless you die.

Meanwhile, the Emperor declares war on the excommunicated King of Denmark. Luckily, he doesn't decide to borrow my armies. That leaves me free to poach some claimants so I can clean up Sicily.

Oooh, and I can grab Barcelona too! (or so I thought...didn't realize that this doesn't work).

With a claimant for the Duchy of Barcelona in hand, I attack.

The war is pretty straightforward - I'm bigger, crush their armies, and siege them until they give up in July 1128. This is where I find out that since they're not in my dynasty, not my de jure vassal, and not already a duke, that all I've done is split Barcelona in half. Since I'm wrong culture and not de jure liege, even a very grateful duke won't join up.

I forgot to take a screenshot of the choices here, but I ended up with the +1 intrigue and deceitful. Can't imagine that one...

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

you could always hold the wedding of Jacob and Deidre in the prison cell?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

Frankly, he belongs in one of your AARs.
    He's far too able to suffer such a fate!

The war with Barcelona seemed rather messy but it simply shows Oberto's great nature once again, taking on a ruler named Duke Pere the Cruel, clearly he fought this war to aid the poor peasants suffering under Pere's rule. I also have this fantastic mental image of Oberto resting a cup upon his grandon's head following the award of the title, character building stuff!
    This AAR Soks

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

But you can't be King and Seneschal! Not of Gondor anyway...
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Honourable Saxon Thegn AlexanderPrimus's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Rome

Well, it's about time I got around to reading this.

I've made it through the first three pages and I must say I'm impressed. Your work is both entertaining and well-written.

It's been a very good read so far and I'm looking forward to the rest.

Blog Entries
    you could always hold the wedding of Jacob and Deidre in the prison cell?
    Doing the prison chain shuffle down the aisle should be rather amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by morningSIDEr View Post
    He's far too able to suffer such a fate!
    There is that.

The war with Barcelona seemed rather messy but it simply shows Oberto's great nature once again, taking on a ruler named Duke Pere the Cruel, clearly he fought this war to aid the poor peasants suffering under Pere's rule. I also have this fantastic mental image of Oberto resting a cup upon his grandon's head following the award of the title, character building stuff!
    Yes, he split a powerful duchy that is next to lots of muslims in half.

Quote Originally Posted by aldriq View Post
    But you can't be King and Seneschal! Not of Gondor anyway...
    Makes me think we need a flavor crusade against Mordor, with the single option of "One does not simply walk into Mordor..."

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderPrimus View Post
    Well, it's about time I got around to reading this.

I've made it through the first three pages and I must say I'm impressed. Your work is both entertaining and well-written.

It's been a very good read so far and I'm looking forward to the rest.
    Thank you!

Blog Entries

Chapter 23 - The Death of Oberto I

June 24, 1129 - Sometimes, CK2 has a profound sense of irony. These two events happened on the same day.

It's like Scrooge McDuck finding love mid-dive into his vault of gold coins.

Meanwhile, it's time to plan some more wars to unite Sicily.

Everything's all ready...let's declare wa...

Oberto at death:

Last edited by naggy; 08-03-2012 at 04:26.

General Grumpalodian Aardvark Bellay's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries
    Oberto II will obviously be admired twice as much by his vassals than Oberto I.
    But Oberto wont care, as he had probably already forgotten having a father once....just like him.
    Family tradition.
    [Micromod] - Old Building Names (Pre-1.10-building-names for CK2)

CK2 Mods: User Mod Index (Don't forget to post about your mod compatibility)
    Deutsch CK2: German CK2 Sub-Forum (go there for the german translation 'repair' mod)

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Well that was damn inconvenient of him.
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

well if Oberto keeps to his father's traditions in things such as mourning lost relatives, he'll be off to war in the morning?

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Great AAR, I'm really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    Power is the greatest aphrodisiac.
    It's really not an aphrodisiac at all power is just another currency.
    Try Aurora - Dwarf Fortress in Space!
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

well if Oberto keeps to his father's traditions in things such as mourning lost relatives, he'll be off to war in the morning?
    More than likely! If Oberto II shows even half the compassion, bravery and general brilliance of Oberto I he'll prove a wonderful ruler and a wonderful person.
    This AAR Soks

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

What better way to honor your dead warmongering father than with more war?
    "The sea with an end can be Greek or Roman: the endless sea is Portuguese." - Fernando Pessoa (1888–1935)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast