+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Parmesan Cheese - The Rise (or fall) of the di Parma dynasty

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

Parmesan Cheese - The Rise (or fall) of the di Parma dynasty

Howdy!

It's time again for an AAR with stellar economic management (loans ahoy!), some abuse of the engine, and some questionable decisions. In other words, a naggy AAR.

I've got a chapter or two written, and hope to start posting tomorrow...

Patch: v1.03b
    Difficulty: Hard
    Starting Character: Oberto di Parma (Count of Parma and Corsica)
    Starting Liege: Matilda, Duchess of Toscana
    Last edited by naggy; 26-02-2012 at 01:58.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries

Table of Contents

Count Oberto di Parma - b. 1033, r.1062, d.January 1, 1087 (assassinated via plot by estranged wife)
    Count of Genoa, Parma, Capua, Salermo, Girgenti, and Malta
    Prestige: 661
    Piety: 224.8
    Final traits: Tough Soldier, Honest, Brave, Wroth, Kind, Stressed

Chapter 1 - Oberto di Parma
    Chapter 2 - Genoa
    Chapter 3 - Coming of Age
    Chapter 4 - Capua
    Chapter 5 - The Love Story of Oberto and Sancha
    Chapter 6 - Salermo
    Chapter 7 - Plots and Counterplots
    Chapter 8 - The Plot Thickens
    Interlude - the World in 1088

King Oberto I di Parma - b.1054, r.November 30, 1086, d. November 23, 1130
    King of Sicily, Duke of Lombardia, Sicily, Salerno, Count of Salerno, Taranto, Siracusa, Girgenti, Trapani, Malta, Parma, Pavia, Lombardia, Genoa, Corsica
    Prestige: 3646.6
    Piety: 1044.8
    Final traits: Midas Touched, Falconer, Chaste, Arbitrary, Diligent, Gregarious, Ambitious

Chapter 9 - To Defect, or to not Defect
    Chapter 10 - Emerging from the Shadow of Toscana
    Chapter 11 - Duchy of Lombardia
    Chapter 12 - Duchies of Genoa, Salerno, and Sicily
    Chapter 13 - Bravery at Nice
    Chapter 14 - Restless children, plots, and beaches
    Chapter 15 - Duchies of Mallorca and Modena
    Chapter 16 - The Ultimatum
    Chapter 17 - Revenge is a dish best served...sober
    Chapter 18 - Rebels without a clue
    Chapter 19 - The Rise and Fall of Adelheid
    Chapter 20 - Kingdom of Sicily

Interlude: Kingdom of Sicily, 1121

Chapter 21 - A new wife, a new outlook on life
    Chapter 22 - A pointless war in Barcelona
    Chapter 23 - The Death of Oberto I

King Oberto II di Parma, b.January 4, 1092, r.November 23, 1130, d.December 11, 1131
    King of Sicily, Duke of Lombardia, Sicily, Salerno, Count of Salerno, Girgenti, Capua, Malta, Lombardia, Corsica, Parma, Pavia
    Prestige: 565.8
    Piety: 503.6
    Final traits: Scholarly Theologian, Quick, Falconer, Honest, Kind, Charitable, Patient, Slothful, Zealous, Stressed, Smallpox

Chapter 24 - The Epic Tale of King Oberto II

King Oberto III di Parma, b.April 21, 1109, r.December 11, 1131, d.

Chapter 25 - Ambitions, Assassinations, and Apulia
    Chapter 26 - Holy Toledo
    Chapter 27 - Oberto the Holy
    Chapter 28 - Expansion in Spain
    Chapter 29 - The Virtuous di Parma family
    Chapter 30 - All in the Familia
    Chapter 31 - King of Leon
    Last edited by naggy; 24-03-2012 at 14:09.

Blog Entries

Chapter 1 - Oberto di Parma

We start with Count Oberto di Parma. Oberto has never been married, but has 2 non-bastard children. Apparently, he's a bacteria, and divides by fission. Since he's unmarried, I need a wife. He's also the duke of Parma and Corsica. He's brave, cruel, and honest...and you may never see another character with this few traits again.

When starting the game, the first things you need to do are:
    * Give your council some tasks
    * Pick an ambition
    * Get married (if you aren't)
    * Choose new guardians for your children (if you want)
    * Institute your first law change
    * Update tech focuses (I pick Castle Infrastructure, Legalism (for + demense), and Siege Equipment).

First, since I'm not married, I pick the ambition "Get Married", which gives me a cheap 10 piety. Then, I send my son off to Duchess Mathilda of Toscana's court to a guardian - this will give me a +20 relations boost with her. I'd rather keep high relations with my liege lord than find out the hard way that I'll end up in her oubliette.

I'd love to marry the Duchess (my liege), but she'll only accept a matrilineal marriage. No dice there...but I can marry Princess Sancha of Aragon, picking up 72 prestige in the process. I also marry off my son, Oberto, to Prince Emma Capet, giving us more prestige. My daughter, Gioditta, is also married off to a Capet, which will give me another quick prestige boost.

As for laws, I increase City taxation (to Medium). Cities have the most money, so that's whose taxes you raise. The law change goes through smoothly - as long as your vassals are happy, you can push through law changes relatively easy. The larger your realm, the harder it is (since it's hard to keep a 100+ vassals happy).

Finally, I send out my council. My Chancellor will fabricate claims on Genoa, my marshal will train local troops, my steward will collect taxes, my Spymaster will go to Tyana to steal tech, and my Chaplain is going off to Rome to improve relations with the Pope. The idea here is to expand and try to get the Pope on my side for some expanded options.

After 15 days, the marriages have gone through (I have gained 122 prestige from them), and I get 10 piety from my ambition to Get Married. I don't really have any other useful ambitions or plots (I don't want my wife dead, I don't want to plot against my liege unless I have a good idea that it will succeed, I'm too dumb for the council, and I'm not up for Amass Wealth yet), so I let that go.

Oh look, it's my normal luck - my first Councillor has died after a mere 60 days.

Blog Entries

Chapter 2 - Genoa

I go to replace my Lord Spiritual (Chaplain), and find that all the replacements suck. It's a bad sign with your best candidate is slow. This is a consistent problem in smaller courts, though later I'll show some useful ways to get better candidates.

On January 6th, 1067, my chancellor manages to fabricate claims on Genoa. That was fast, and it's followed up by an instant declaration of war. No point waiting. Luckily, numbers win here - Genoa has more buildings (for more troops), but I have 2 counties.

On April 4th, my Chancellor dies in battle in Genoa. Early on, you sometimes have to let important people lead a flank, due to lack of decent leaders. Later, you can afford to keep them safe. I replace him with my father (diplomacy of 11) for lack of anything better.

10 days later, the battle is over - numbers win when both sides have crappy leaders.

Luckily, I have enough troops left to actually siege - it would have monumentally sucked otherwise. An attack by a last minute Genoan army happens to trigger an event that gives me +1 martial, bringing me to 6.

In July, my duchess asks to pass Minimal City Taxes. If she wants to be poor, I'm OK with that. Over in Genoa, another attack by 10 people helps Oberto upgrade his education (net of +2 martial)...I'm OK with this!

August brings a tithe event from my Steward (13.73 gold), which will help me once I start expanding buildings. As of patch v1.03b, your army will rarely cost more than your monthly income...the same cannot be said for mercenaries.

The months pass sitting outside Genoa's walls, shooting dice and throwing darts, until victory! That doesn't mean I'm necessarily done - Genoa has 3 other holdings (barony/castle, bishopric/church, and another city), but it does mean that my men can celebrate with diarrhea...because disease strikes at the same time.

In this case, however, I hold his only holding (the rest are vassals), so the Doge is forced to agree to peace and hand over Genoa.

With the fall of Genoa, I have some problems: I can't create the Duchy of Genoa because my liege is a Duchess. If I were directly under the King, I could create the duchy. Genoa's primary holding is also a city, which means I'll have a huge malus to tax income...on a city that has a base tax of 23.4. I'll deal with that in 5 years - conquering a city results in massive penalties for 5 years, along with extra penalties for 10 and 20 years if the holding is wrong culture or religion. For now, I'll just have a big 0 on the balance sheet from Genoa.

Over on the Ambition tab, I now have a new plot: Kill Countess Barbara of Monferrato. I get this because she's Orthodox and Zealous, so we hate each other with a passion (-78 relations). I start the plot for lack of anything else to do (it gives +1 intrigue), but the plot fizzles over time (I can't get enough backers). You can see that after almost 2 years, I can't get the plot power past 43%, and I need 50 to even try. Plots have scope - so I cannot ask the Emperor to help me whack a courtier - in this case, only other denizens of Monferrato can get involved. One way to try and get more people in on the plot is to send your chancellor or spymaster to increase relations or create a spy network, but that requires some luck. Larger plots have a larger scope, which can help if you have alliances.

And to close out the chapter, Bavaria revolts. Guess how I knew there was a war on?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Great to see another AAR from you! Needless to say I'll be following. I've not yet picked up CK2 yet so learning some of the basics from following this will prove very handy. A good, solid start having expanded your realm already, hopefully you can deal with the Duchess soon.

I have noticed a slight error though.

Quote Originally Posted by naggy View Post
    My Chancellor will fabricate claims on Genoa, my marshal will train local troops, my steward will collect taxes, my Spymaster will go to Tyana to steal tech, and my Chaplain is going off to Rome to improve relations with the Pope.
    Shouldn't this actually read; '...my steward will begin filling in loan applications...'?
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Blog Entries
    One can always do both...

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Informative as always Naggy, i'll be sure to follow!
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

I like this, sorta tells people how to do things, will be very helpful when i decide to get the game
    ZipZopBoopityBop! With the Sniflin an the Snuflin!

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

pulls up chair and settles down to watch ... my chance to actually learn the game at last ...

Blog Entries

morningSIDEr, Tanzhang (譚張), Maximus_96, loki100: welcome to the AAR!

CK2 shows even more UI improvement that we've seen in Paradox Games, and if you've played CKI, you can REALLY see the difference in how things make more sense visually. Patches and expansions will add more of those second and third order effects that we've come to love...but right now, the game is relatively straightforward as a Count, somewhat so as a Duke, and then becomes a crown of thorns for Kings and above (as we'll see).

One thing: the old CK "Meteoric rise followed by being beaten to death by poisoned spiked whiffle bats" trajectory is alive and well.

Blog Entries

03 - Coming of Age

My wife has a bouncing baby girl, Agnese. It's a nice touch that you can name your kids. PROTIP: Play an Irish or Scottish character, and name your child Guyver or Gruber.

Later, my marshal triggers an event related to his work training troops - a bonus to levy reinforcement. Every single council action has these events, and their rarity is based on the councilmember's skill. Highly skilled councilmembers get good events more often, where as low skilled ones are more likely to trigger bad events. There are unlisted events (such as the Marshal dropping catapult stones on his feet) that also can pop up.

On November 1, 1070, my son Oberto comes of age and is Midas Touched. His traits are Chaste, Arbitrary, and Diligent - not great, but not bad. A child's stats and traits are based on parent's stats and their guardian's traits and stats, along with events that pop up along the way. Keep an eye on their guardians - I once had a guardian become a lunatic, and my poor child came out warped.

Oberto is betrothed still to Princess Emma, who is now 15. Almost time for a marriage!

On May 12th, my spymaster kicks the bucket, forcing me to make my wife spymaster. With an intrigue of 6. She's craven and trusting - a great combination for a spymaster, right?

Now that I have some spare money laying around, I can start improving my castles. Every holding type has improvements that can be bought. Some improvements make your holding more durable to sieges, some give flat boosts to the levy, one gives a % training/levy boost, and some give income boosts. Not only that, but you can pay to improve the holdings of your vassals.

Baron level Vassals in the 1066 start are typically dirt poor, given that they have unimproved holdings. They also only pass up a fixed amount of tax, so improving a bishopric or barony that you don't own may not be worth it. However, city improvements are definitely worth it, as you can get a very high base tax city where the Mayor can start building other improvements. With Harsh taxation, you can get 45% of their tax, making built up cities as lucrative as any castle.

Here, I'm adding a Castle village to Parma. I want to make sure that I don't hand off any expanded holdings to vassals or second or third sons, where they don't do me any more good.

My nephew comes of age on January 1, 1071, who is also Midas Touched (but not as good as Oberto). I marry him off and keep him around to spit out di Parmas. I also marry off Oberto (the son) to Princess Emma of France (as she just turned 16), giving him 52 Prestige.

On July 18th, Parma's castle village is finished - I'm on my way! Unfortunately, I'm too busy fighting in the independence wars for the Emperor to celebrate.

On January 1, 1072 (notice a pattern with the pregenerated charaters?), my niece comes of age and is married off to the King of France.

In July, my Chancellor finally manages to get a relations boost with my liege, Matilda. This lets me ask for a title...(a decision requiring 25 relations)

To which she replies "Drop dead."

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

Quote Originally Posted by naggy View Post
    She's craven and trusting - a great combination for a spymaster, right?
    Absolutely! I'm sure her having as much intrigue as a soggy piece of carrot, happily ignoring any threats she stumbles upon because she trusts those responsible to act correctly, will not prove in the least bit damaging.

Some more good progress made, a useful improvement to Parma completed, victories won, family members married off and sadly a hugely irksome liege standing in your way of further titles. She need pay, and with such a skilled spymaster (spymistress?) as your wife, I'd certainly consider sending in the assassins!
    This AAR Soks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morningSIDEr View Post
    Absolutely! I'm sure her having as much intrigue as a soggy piece of carrot, happily ignoring any threats she stumbles upon because she trusts those responsible to act correctly, will not prove in the least bit damaging.

Some more good progress made, a useful improvement to Parma completed, victories won, family members married off and sadly a hugely irksome liege standing in your way of further titles. She need pay, and with such a skilled spymaster (spymistress?) as your wife, I'd certainly consider sending in the assassins!
    Yes, I'm sure assassins that attempt to poison the duke's brussel sprouts will work well. Maybe they'll present poisoned haggis, too?

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

well your wife may be craven & trusty, but I do hope she never grows a moustache like her predecessor ... that was truely scary (if hard to disguise)

I'm actually not sure that poisoned haggis tastes any different to the official version ...

Blog Entries

Chapter 4 - Capua

On October 15th, 1072, Kaiser Heinrich passes away at 22, replaced by Kaiser Lothar-Udo I. Lothar-Udo has 4 negative traits to one positive, and 3 stats that are 5 or less. This reign will go well!

Ghiberto, my nephew, comes of age as a Grey Eminence on January 1st. If there was a trait of meh, he'd have it. I want him to whelp lots of little di Parmas for later duchies and the like.

Later that month, my liege, Matilda, declares war on the Sheikh of Palermo, with a goal of taking Capua. Rather than let her steal that glory, I declare war as well and race to beat her there.

In June, my Lord Spiritual manages to score a relations boost with the Pope. Sadly, I don't find any real use for it before it expires.

Oh look, another nephew comes of age. Maimed, cruel, gluttonous, homosexual. Another stunning catch for the feudal ladies!

In this case, I marry him off to a German Princess. True love!

In February 1075, I win my war for Capua, because Matilda ran into the Sheikh's (now Emir) army, while I landed in Capua behind it. There is a lot to be said about being first!

Taking a province from a heathen causes all of the province titles to pass to you, which usually instantly puts you over the demense limit. Here, I'm at 7/6, so I dump a city off to a mayor. I want to hold on to the bishopric, in case I need to butter the pope up for a plot soon. That leaves me with a demense of Parma, Corsica, Genoa, Capua, and barony level holdings of Aquino and Gaeta in Capua.

I dump my old plot that was going nowhere, and decide to switch to the ambition of Amass Wealth. Amass Wealth happens to be repeatable, and gives +1 stewardship - all it takes it being relatively broke (easy to do after building things) and then getting 500 gold (easy to do if you're a duke or above).

Apparently, all this success was very stressful...

Last edited by naggy; 20-02-2012 at 17:04.

Good stuff, nice to see you are proving a wonderfully helpful vassal, aiding your liege in war by nicking the province she was after and leaving her to fight the enemy by herself!
    This AAR Soks

Nice trick at Capua ... leave your liege to do the fighting while you clean up on the bits that actually matter. Though of course that has to be offset against a very worrying line of nephews .... any more stand out gems on the way?

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

All right, another naggy AAR! I do like the tutorial bits you've included; I never played CK I and am trying to work things out for myself.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q2 ACAs here! Be sure to check out the winners! Crusader Kings II|Europa Universalis IV|Victoria II|Hearts of Iron 3|Darkest Hour

Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

This is a great AAR so far. It also accurately reflects my play style: be a dick, often and early.

Blog Entries
    I prefer the term "speedily pious".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast