• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Every nickname has a certain trigger condition. As long as these are fulfilled, you have a small chance to receive the nickname.

Certain factors (like special traits) may increase the likehood.

Not sure Careless makes sense in English, the way they apply it--trusting, duelist, content. I suspect they mean "without care," perhaps Affable, or Benign. Maybe Calm.

I think "Cavalier" might be meant, more than Carefree.

Going on Crusade in youth must have bumpred prestige and piety over the thresholds right away. Bah.

Sorry to bump an old thread but if you were to change the chance factor in nicknames.txt it would increase chance of people getting those traits?

Say

nick_the_silent = {
allow = {
age = 20
trait = shy
OR = {
trait = patient
trait = humble
}
}
chance = {
factor = 1

I've never seen "the Silent" so 1 seems pretty rare, what's a good number to change it to so nicknames are a bit more common.

Factor is the chance per year of getting the nickname. So factor = 1 gives you a 1% chance per year to get that nick if you meet the requirements.

I got Ironside on my king of Sweden. Wish I knew what I did since Ironside is an awesome title and Michael Ironside is the best actor ever.

227892.jpg

Many people seem to think that nicknames are based on actions done in the game but 75% are based only on traits, age, prestige, and piety.
Theres only around 20 that can be gained by your actions.

I got "the Wicked" for my Irish independent duke. I think it was because of his massively negative piety brought on by his conversion from monophysitic orthodoxy to just plain orthodoxy.

Yeah, I still have a lot to learn :)

For the ones that got 'the Unready', did they ascend to the throne very young and have the trait 'arbitrary'? Under those circumstances it's reasonable to call them 'the Unready', at least until they prove themselves. Alas, except for a few (i.e. the Conqueror) most are simply based on your traits and not your actual rule. Not really sure there is much they can do their though.

The nickname Unready was derived from Unræd which meant evil counsel or ill advised rather than immature

Not sure Careless makes sense in English, the way they apply it--trusting, duelist, content. I suspect they mean "without care," perhaps Affable, or Benign. Maybe Calm.

The Good? On a similar note, is there a "Terrible" nickname? I would love to give my duke of York that one: Terrance the Terrible.

They could certainly be more specific. Sounds more like they mean 'carefree' to me. Perhaps 'clumsy' but I don't know why the content trait would cause it.

I had one who got dubbed The Chaste at age 23, and he had already fathered 2 children by then! :blink::
'Chaste' means 'not disposed to fornication, acting with sacred conduct'. Of course, some religions believe that having children is evil.

My first King of Ireland became "the Bewitched". He's the same one who filled the Gates of Hell with stones and converted to Walldesian (sp), back to Catholic, converted to Cathar, and then back to Catholic :rolleyes:

I think this one is based on Carlos II the Bewitched of Spain, but in real life he wasn't so much bewitched as ridiculously inbred.

I've gotten the Wise, the Cruel, the Ill-ruler, and my personal favorite, the Ironside, which was incredible because it was a dwarf and my highest prestige character to date other than one random election to HRE as duke of provence. If you go to the common folder of the CK2 file there is a nicknames file which lists all the triggers for most (but not all?) nicknames. not sure what the "factor" part of it is though
Ironside is the COOLEST one I've ever gotten, and on the best king of that particular game too.

I've always wanted to get "the Dragon," but one of its requirements is having Kinslayer, and that -3 diplomacy hurts bad...

nick_the_cruel
Is there any chance that the ruler changes his nickname? My king of Sweden got the nickname The Cruel about 5 minutes after taking the throne. He must have gotten it because it's a trait, and not for any action (the only times I've gotten the choice to do something "cruel" I opted to be merciful). Since then, he's mowed down every pagan in the area, adding their land to the kingdom. You'd think something like The Conquerer or The Great would be more appropriate. But, I also know that nicknames tend to stick in real life, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do here, too.