• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(212811)

First Lieutenant
11 Badges
Jun 27, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Does anyone know how nicknames work? I've seen "the Fat" and "the Cruel" and I'm not sure what gives those. I think the Invasion CB gives "the Conqueror," but I haven't used it myself so I'm not 100% sure.

Also, what's up with the ambitions for amassing prestige and piety? I had them both available on my first character (who accomplished prestige and was failing to get anywhere with piety on his death) and they haven't even appeared since then (it's now the fourth generation, 70 years after game start at 1066). My current ruler added two new Kingdom titles to my dynasty so he's really deserving a "the Great" title but I can't figure out how to get him one.

You can't take the ambitions if your prestige or piety is already too high. If you own two kingdoms, chances are your heirs are being born too prestigious to take Become Exalted Among Men.

As for the nicknames, look in Crusader Kings II\common\nicknames.txt. That file contains all of the nicknames and their requirements.

Not sure Careless makes sense in English, the way they apply it--trusting, duelist, content. I suspect they mean "without care," perhaps Affable, or Benign. Maybe Calm.

I've gotten the Wise, the Cruel, the Ill-ruler, and my personal favorite, the Ironside, which was incredible because it was a dwarf and my highest prestige character to date other than one random election to HRE as duke of provence. If you go to the common folder of the CK2 file there is a nicknames file which lists all the triggers for most (but not all?) nicknames. not sure what the "factor" part of it is though

I managed to get Apostle on the same monarch who conquered Rome and assassinated the Pope.

I can only imagine that the Apostle in question was Judas.

Do nicknames only fire for independent rulers? I was playing as the Duke of Burgundy who lived to be 85 years old. I think he should have gotten "the Old" as a nickname. I looked over the the Byzantine Empire and saw that the Emperor was called "the Old," and he was only 55.

On a related note, my heir revolted against the King of France for about four months and managed to get a nickname in that period.

You can't take the ambitions if your prestige or piety is already too high. If you own two kingdoms, chances are your heirs are being born too prestigious to take Become Exalted Among Men.

As for the nicknames, look in Crusader Kings II\common\nicknames.txt. That file contains all of the nicknames and their requirements.

Well, how much is too much? My heirs usually have around 200-300 piety and prestige when my last ruler dies, but those ambitions require 1000. I've also had very low piety before and not gotten the option for the piety ambition.

Also, is there a file with plots/ambitions?

Also I have 4 kingdoms, not 2, but that's beside the point...

Not sure Careless makes sense in English, the way they apply it--trusting, duelist, content. I suspect they mean "without care," perhaps Affable, or Benign. Maybe Calm.

I've got to agree with this one. My King Clemente II of Sicily was named 'the Careless' because he was content. He had neither duelist nor trusting, and was not a kinslayer. His full list of traits was Charismatic Negotiator, Fair, Diligent, Patient, Content and Just. How that could lead to 'the Careless', I don't know. And I know it's not a factor really in the naming, but he was anything but careless in his governance, being one of my most peaceful Kings who spent his time consolidating his father's conquests.

I've actually had at nickname for all of my Kings since they became Kings of Sicily, starting with Demetrios the Great (highly deserved), Bennedetto the Noble (I can see that...), Clemente the Wise (hmmm...okay, sure), Clemente the Careless and Clemente the Pious.

I'll be interested to see what young Clemente IV will be...but I swear, I'm half inclined to kill the next kid named Clemente.

In my Sicily game, the monarchs I've had are Roger the Lionheart, Robert the Just, Oswulf I, Turstin the Drunkard, Oswulf II the Great, Beuves the Great, Alison I, Oswulf III the Apostle, Roger I (which is odd, since he was the second King Roger,) and Ausonio the Fat.

Frankly, I think the nicknames are just plain fantastic. They add a huge amount of flavor for me.

Sometimes I don't think it has to do with ambitions that you pick or even traits.

My underage son was named Niklas I the Great before even reaching his 6th birthday. He wasn't so great, and died at the mere age of 29, possibly an undiscovered plot assassination or from syphilis.

I got the conquer, when i took out leon. playing as castille, I used my claim on their thrown to do it not sure it that matters or not.

I got "the Lionheart" with my Solomid ruler shortly before he got roflstomped by the muslim deathball. Other than that I've had "the Wise" with my Danish duke and seen "Ill-Ruler" and "The old" on Danish kings. "The Great" and "The Holy" don't really count. :p