• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pevergreen

The Two Time
107 Badges
Apr 27, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
It has been almost two years since the small town of Inishmore went on a quest. It all started with a small peace keeping force, sent by the British Government to put down the leadership of the IRA. The villagers fought against the IRA and the English, little did they know that the entire thing was orchestrated by a Welsh mastermind. The situation ended with two Inishmorians remaining. After a year or so, the Inishmorians sent a force onto the mainland to try to capture the one IRA member who fled. This incident ended with the enslavement of 4 men, who were taken back to New Zealand. Only one other man survived.
Now, we return to the place where it all started, as all the parties converge on the once again quiet town of Inishmore.

What is mafia?
Mafia is a game of the informed minorty versus the uninformed majority. The Mafiosi work together to try to eliminate the town, while the town utilise the daily lynch to attempt to hit the mafia. The game is split into two phases, day and night. During the day phase, players choose who to lynch, during the night phase, players with special roles perform actions, while the rest of the players can talk and plan for the next day phase.

Welcome to the first Mafia game on this board (to my knowledge). Please take the time to read the rules carefully, as this game will play differently than you are used to.
Rules:
Voting must be bolded and in the format of Vote: Beefy187, for an unvote, please use Unvote, Vote: Beefy187 or even better, include the person you are unvoting. If the votes are not bolded, your vote will not be counted.

To avoid the WoG (Wrath of God, also known as modkill), you must register a valid vote in 75% plus in number of day phases.

Vote: Abstain and Vote: No Lynch are not valid choices.

Victory: The town wins by eliminating all anti-town forces, the Mafia win by having an even or greater number of members than the town. Other roles may have their own victory conditions

Role PMs: You may not reveal in private. You may not, in private, discuss, allude to, hint or in any way attempt to convince a person/party that you have a certain ability or role. You may not communicate any results you may have. You are, however, free to discuss and make plans with anyone you choose via any out of thread communication. This rule is exempt if you are given information about a person in your role PM (example: Masons, Mafia members). You may reveal anything you like in thread, if you are alive.

Faking Role PMs: You are encouraged to fake role PMs and you may quote things directly from the host.

Screenshots are not allowed. This means no IM logs, no IRC chat, no PM or any other private communication from anyone. Anything that can be publicly seen is fair game to be screencapped.

Revealing of roles post-mortem: The host may place clues in a writeup, or outright say what role a person is.

Night actions: All night actions are performed at the same time.

Rules for the dead:
You are free to continue discussing as you would normally in and outside of the thread, with the condition that you do not reveal anything private you may have known while alive. (So no post death public reveals of role/results, or even private reveals)
You may not vote for anyone, even as a joke. If I see a dead person make a vote, even if in massive font with silly faces, I will 'ask' that person to refrain from posting in the thread again.

Once the game has ended, please do not reveal your role straight away, wait for the host to post a role list.

Each phase will last for approximately 24 hours, or as close to that as the host can manage. A strict deadline policy applies. If the cutoff for actions or voting is 9:00pm, anything posted/sent at 9:00pm is accepted, anything at 9:01pm is invalid. At this point in time, the deadline will be 5:00pm AEST (+10 UTC). It will always say in the summary post how long until the phase ends.

Ties: In the event of a tie, something will happen. It may not always be the same, and it may not always be pleasant and/or fair.

Any kills in this game are to be written by those who perform them. If nothing if given, or changes need to be made for in game purposes (defended, role blocked etc) the host will modify the kill with no regard to how good it may have been before he touched it.

Summary lists will be provided at each phase end, and will include the usual

Alive:

Lynched:

Dead:

And if other categories are needed, they will be added at the time.

This game has a closed setup. All you know is in the backstory, and that this game incorperates the Godfather mechanic.

This game does not have traits, and many of the roles will be named differently than you are used to/perform slightly differently.
If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them
And finally: The joker is never a role in my games.

Looking for 30+ signups.

Signups: 16
Taiisatai64
Capt. Kiwi
Trinitrotoluen
Suirantes
reis91
randakar
walrus
johho888
Yakman
tamius23
Falc
esemesas
enkhuush
Slinky
drxav
Warluster
Najs

Last edited:
What is mafia?

I don't know. Out until other people figure out the rules.

No role reveals on death in most cases, slightly altered ghost rules, no role reveals in PMs and the setup is hidden. It's different but not so drastically that it's incomprehensible.

Sorry, I meant people I trust with this kind of things. You understand.

I told you it was different, I even posted a base line of rules I normally use.

You realise that's white, right? All you're doing is making it invisible for those silly people with a dark text on light background skin.

Rules:
Voting must be bolded and in the format of Vote: Beefy187, for an unvote, please use Unvote, Vote: Beefy187 or even better, include the person you are unvoting. If the votes are not bolded, your vote will not be counted.

As long as you're not picky about the colons. Most people don't like their colons picked at.

Revealing of roles post-mortem: The host may place clues in a writeup, or outright say what role a person is.

I assume you'll at least give the side, even where the role is given? So villager (lower case v), pack 1, pack 3, whatever?

Night actions: All night actions are performed at the same time.

I will trust that their are no possible paradoxes possible due to this rule.

Rules for the dead:
You are free to continue discussing as you would normally in and outside of the thread, with the condition that you do not reveal anything private you may have known while alive. (So no post death public reveals of role/results, or even private reveals)
You may not vote for anyone, even as a joke. If I see a dead person make a vote, even if in massive font with silly faces, I will 'ask' that person to refrain from posting in the thread again.

Say I'm the seer, I've scanned a wolf, but I die with him alive. Am I allowed to say "you should really lynch X"? What if I put it in oversize font?

Each phase will last for approximately 24 hours, or as close to that as the host can manage. A strict deadline policy applies. If the cutoff for actions or voting is 9:00pm, anything posted/sent at 9:00pm is accepted, anything at 9:01pm is invalid. At this point in time, the deadline will be 5:00pm AEST (+10 UTC). It will always say in the summary post how long until the phase ends.

So 7 am GMT? Good luck getting a full compliment... most players are euros.

Ties: In the event of a tie, something will happen. It may not always be the same, and it may not always be pleasant and/or fair.

I like your ideas. But I can see this rule going badly for you on these forums. The same game that turned the old timers off no-pm games also had the GM make up tie rules on the fly. I suggest you only fight one up hill battle.

Any kills in this game are to be written by those who perform them. If nothing if given, or changes need to be made for in game purposes (defended, role blocked etc) the host will modify the kill with no regard to how good it may have been before he touched it.

This could be interesting... I like it, but you're going to cop flak from our resident sticks in the mud.

This game has a closed setup. All you know is in the backstory, and that this game incorperates the Godfather mechanic.

"Godfather mechanic"?

And finally: The joker is never a role in my games.

"The joker"? I assume because he changes suit?

You realise that's white, right? All you're doing is making it invisible for those silly people with a dark text on light background skin.

Fixed

As long as you're not picky about the colons. Most people don't like their colons picked at.

Yeah, they don't really matter

I assume you'll at least give the side, even where the role is given? So villager (lower case v), pack 1, pack 3, whatever?

Depends on the role

I will trust that their are no possible paradoxes possible due to this rule.

Nope.

Say I'm the seer, I've scanned a wolf, but I die with him alive. Am I allowed to say "you should really lynch X"? What if I put it in oversize font?

No, that would cause me to ask you to stop posting. You can make arguments based on stuff in thread and push for the lynch, but obvious stuff like that, even if it wasn't revealed you were the seer, will make me angry.

So 7 am GMT? Good luck getting a full compliment... most players are euros.

I'm an aussie, it needs to fit my schedule. I can't have it early, nor while at work, and I have eu3 games 3 nights a week that prevent updates after dinner.

I like your ideas. But I can see this rule going badly for you on these forums. The same game that turned the old timers off no-pm games also had the GM make up tie rules on the fly. I suggest you only fight one up hill battle.

PMs are allowed, but no reveals in them. What happens in the ties is already determined and easily discoverable, if you put a few minutes work in. This is the third game in the story...

This could be interesting... I like it, but you're going to cop flak from our resident sticks in the mud.

Kill writeups are an integral part of the game where i used to play, and help the immersion.

"Godfather mechanic"?

You guys don't know about godfathers? :S Maybe "Pack Leader"? Its where instead of the mafia family being equal, one of them is the godfather, depending on the game, he may show up as innocent to investigations, or he may cause the death of the rest of his family if he is killed/lynched.

The Joker is a role where the player attempts to be lynched, if they are, they win, game over.

Responses in the quote.

"Godfather mechanic"?

You guys don't know about godfathers? :S Maybe "Pack Leader"? Its where instead of the mafia family being equal, one of them is the godfather, depending on the game, he may show up as innocent to investigations, or he may cause the death of the rest of his family if he is killed/lynched.

I've not seen anything like that in the 8 months I've been playing here. Maybe older games had something like that.

The Joker is a role where the player attempts to be lynched, if they are, they win, game over.

Thank goodness it's not in, then.

Out

I dislike any sort of influence that may come from writeups.

I also dislike that the GM has the ability to influence the game in pretty serious ways (ie with ties)

OUT, sorry. The deadline works like cwap for me.