• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If the Kaiser keeps offering you the position of steward while you're on crusade you will keep teleporting between ascalon to lead troops and bohemia to research economy tech as you resign whenever you need to win a battle.

Muslim Arabs are quick to take up Irish culture, while the Welsh will conservatively keep their own culture even under a united Irish-Welsh crown for centuries unless the Scots and Saxons [and English] embrace Irish culture first. [There is no culture spread sea route between Ireland and Wales.]

The Normans had been in breeding with the locals for generations.

If I remember correctly, Norse nobles (Rollo in particular) took serious hold of lands in Normandy in the Xth century and were receiving significant 'reinforcements' from relatives up North for a while. Norman conquest of England started in 1066 (about a hundred years later) and William's armies even featured Norse warriors from coastal settlements in England. That having been said, yes, Normans adopted modified French as their language of preference similar to how Lithuanian dukes used Bielorussian rather than Lithuanian as the language of communication in the lands they ruled.

Muslim Arabs are quick to take up Irish culture, while the Welsh will conservatively keep their own culture even under a united Irish-Welsh crown for centuries unless the Scots and Saxons [and English] embrace Irish culture first. [There is no culture spread sea route between Ireland and Wales.]

Well, when I spent some months in Cardiff few years ago I had impression they mostly kept their culture to this day.
So it may be quite realistic :)

Well, technically (ethnically) speaking, Normans were not French...

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough: what I mean is that, contrary to reality, where most (if not all, I'm not sure) of the english nobility kept speaking norman french for centuries after the norman conquest (Henry V was the first english king to actively promote the english language between nobles - in the 15th century) the game does not emulate that by making the melting pot of english culture taking a little while longer. Instead, in most of my games anyway, William's sons usually become english after a few years. Of course, that is not really important, just something funny that I pointed out.

When dieing you can't take it with you, but you can spend it all taking others to the party.

You only become a father of in bread degenerates if you marry someone you are not related to. It's like you don't have the problem until you try to prevent it.

That no matter which person you arrest when it is either the accused or accuser. You are wrongfully imprisoning them.

Well, when I spent some months in Cardiff few years ago I had impression they mostly kept their culture to this day.
So it may be quite realistic :)

Very true! Culture and language have very deep roots. A relatively recent book on the history of languages, "Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue", argues that there are more Celtic and Welsh influences within the English language than previously thought.

I just find it humorous that if you are converting the religion of a province within the game, that there is a better chance for a wholesale change to a foreign culture as well, compared to two cultures that are relatively close culturally, linguistically and geographically. If anything a new creole/cajun/pidgin culture would eventually form, like with English, during foreign conversions.

I would love a truly dynamic culture system, but I am not holding my breathe for one. Sure, during my two hour commute each day I spend time daydreaming a dynamic but implementable culture system every time I play a PI game. But it would probably would appeal to only me.

Last edited:
I just find it humorous that if you are converting the religion of a province within the game, that there is a better chance for a wholesale change to a foreign culture as well, compared to two cultures that are relatively close culturally, linguistically and geographically. If anything a new creole/cajun/pidgin culture would eventually form, like with English, during foreign conversions.
I would love a truly dynamic culture system, but I am not holding my breathe for one. Sure, during my two hour commute each day I spend time daydreaming a dynamic but implementable culture system every time I play a PI game. But it would probably would appeal to only me.

Oh noes, that would appeal to me too. In fact, it's the one aspect of it all that I think that no PI game have considered seriously.

More things I learned:

Thanks to MP, CK2 made possible for my real brother to kill me and usurp the throne - AND he never shuts up about it, the little brat.

The mighty Rus made the Golden Horde look like less of a 'horde' and more of a 'bunch of incompetents'.

Sometimes, your mother will try to kill constantly, for over 20 years, because for some reason, she favors your imbecile dwarf younger brother (maybe he is more 'cuddly'?).

The amazing Siege of Melun, in 1308, took 15 years. No kidding.

My niece and I produce attractive children.

Far and away my favorite "I only posted once" post! Looking forward to the next one.

That they actually human cloning technology and secret cloning facilities in every barony where they could grow clone an adult male and train them into soldiers (similar to the dark lords of Sith) that could create entire new levies every few months.

That one can solve excommunication by appointing your brother Anti-Pope

If the homosexual dwarf-King of France and the lesbian dwarf-Queen Consort of France are desperate enough, they can produce ambitious, attractive, genius, and lusty sons

If the Saxon Duke of York and Lancaster rebels against you, taking one title is fine, but taking the second is tyrannic

Just because your son is kind doesn't mean he won't assassinate his older brother to be second in line for the throne