• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If someone DARES say "I play a pirated paradox game for long but don't intend to buy it" it would be almost as bad as saying that he liked dragon age origins.

I consider Dragon Age: Origins to be a modern Baldur's Gate. The sequel, on the other hand, was a waste of time and space.

errrr. Did he just admit to pirating?

That does not explain why you would just not play the demo instead of pirating a game? If you don't like the demo than chances are you won't like the game. Paradox games have good demos showing ALL features and usually just limiting the time you can play. Which is perfect to see if you will like the game or not.

Demos dont get patched, and a full game is always a much better demo. Someone who tried the Eu3 demo (lol) today would be playing 1.00 without any expansions, dated graphics and tons of showstopping bugs, but if they pirated the latest version it would be an entirely different game.

I don't endorse piracy, but if someone genuinely tries a new product or franchise and either rapidly discontinues use or actually purchases it when they decide they like it, I'll say that doesn't pose a moral or ethical issue for me. If all people behaved like that, I'm sure this wouldn't even be an issue and no one would use DRM of any sort. The problem is that people get greedy, and when they dont feel they HAVE to pay, they just dont. Thats where piracy hurts small studios like this.

Now you see why they won't sell smartbombs to regular people. And I thought it was just so that I wouldn't clean up my soul-stealing 17-minute commute.

Demos dont get patched, and a full game is always a much better demo. Someone who tried the Eu3 demo (lol) today would be playing 1.00 without any expansions, dated graphics and tons of showstopping bugs, but if they pirated the latest version it would be an entirely different game.

I don't endorse piracy, but if someone genuinely tries a new product or franchise and either rapidly discontinues use or actually purchases it when they decide they like it, I'll say that doesn't pose a moral or ethical issue for me. If all people behaved like that, I'm sure this wouldn't even be an issue and no one would use DRM of any sort. The problem is that people get greedy, and when they dont feel they HAVE to pay, they just dont. Thats where piracy hurts small studios like this.

I disagree. One of the top-selling games and top-profitable games of 2011 was an indie that you could "buy" for free and donate money if you wanted to.

People aren't as greedy bastards as you might think.

Oh, I disagree with that.

Then again, I think I have the Cynical trait.

I know this will definitively get me a warning and about 50 responses but I believe Piracy has actually HELPED paradox.

Let me explain my position. Paradox is not a major company (at least, compared to EA, Bethesda, Blizzard etc) and its games don't involve trolls (well, at least usually) or flashy explosions marketed at 15 year olds. They are games aimed at a niche markets, a niche market most paradox players originally didn't even know they belong to (well, I definitively didn't).

So would YOU go on the random to toss out 20 dollars/euros for games that, for all you know, you might stop playing the first 5 minutes? I certainly didn't and still don't. My first contact with a paradox game was with a (pirated) copy of vicky 2 that my friend showed me and then we played a bit multiplayer. Fast forward a few hundred hours in front, I bought victoria 2, tried eu3, liked it, bought eu3, tried mount and blade, loved it, bought it, tried HoI3....didn't really like it, so I stopped playing it after ~5 hours and finally, I am buying crusader kings 2!

Would I have bought/played a paradox game without piracy? I highly doubt it. The ones that should be afraid of piracy are the big companies who do NOT sell quality and sell flashes instead. Paradox is not one of these companies and I always loved how you, essentially, do not have pirate copy protection which has worked as your best advertisement.

Go to one of the pirate heavens (/v/, for example, and you know what I am talking about). If someone DARES say "I play a pirated paradox game for long but don't intend to buy it" it would be almost as bad as saying that he liked dragon age origins.

And that is because YOU sell quality.

So don't think of us as pirates, think of us as corsairs that bring back loot and new recruits for the crow....erm, chameleon.

Peace :)

I'm going to support you on this Arathian.
I had the exact same experience but for me it's started with EU3. I came to paradoxe games by pirating EU3, yes, and now look at my icons. I bought tones of paradoxe games after that and never pirated one anymore. This company respected me and I respected it in return.
I think piracy is only free advertising for PI, at least it was for me (and a good friend of mine who also bought a lot of paradoxe games after initially pirating EU3)

I think you're right on this, they just don't want to get robbed by disrespectful companies. Piracy doesn't come from the customers greed but the companies greed. PI is not like that and I'm sure it greatly limits piracy of their products.

Piracy is copyright infringement, and while it to a game has the same effects of stealing it is not stealing (legally anyway). It is still something you should not do, especially when it is so much easier to just buy the game via Steam or GG. That and Paradox are awesome, they deserve your support. :)

Aaaahw...I was hoping this was an announcement for naval battle in CKII :(

Oh yeah, piracy = bad. Grrrr *shakes fist*

Also, many thanks to Paradox for not including a DRM. They don't work anyway and it's just annoying to people who buy a legitimate copy.

Calling it piracy is so 2005, nowadays we call it spelunking. :happy:

Though I'd say it's more likely the good sales on Steam and GamersGate have been a better entry point than piracy, we all know the real driver of new players is word of mouth. However you decide to take the plunge, it's almost always as a result of getting a good word from a friend or a forum. /v/ got me interested in picking up Victoria 2 on a Steam sale (I have since re-purchased on GamersGate, having learned the grievous error of buying them from Steam). A friend at work got me into Mount and Blade.

So whether you think piracy is a valid way of trying a game before you pay up, or if you think it leads to lost sales, the best thing you can do to keep Paradox making games is to talk about them, show them to friends, and make sure you buy them when you figure out you want to keep playing them.

The first paradox game I played was a pirated copy of eu3:httt. Now they are the only publisher I even play, and I always pre-order their games. They (and their affiliates) are the only company actively making games for adult gamers.

The first paradox game I played was a pirated copy of eu3:httt. Now they are the only publisher I even play, and I always pre-order their games. They (and their affiliates) are the only company actively making games for adult gamers.

That's pretty much my story as well, had around 150 hours into EU3 when I went 'Hmmmm, maybe I should actually buy this'

Love you Paradox!

I'm going to support you on this Arathian.
I had the exact same experience but for me it's started with EU3. I came to paradoxe games by pirating EU3, yes, and now look at my icons. I bought tones of paradoxe games after that and never pirated one anymore. This company respected me and I respected it in return.
I think piracy is only free advertising for PI, at least it was for me (and a good friend of mine who also bought a lot of paradoxe games after initially pirating EU3)

I think you're right on this, they just don't want to get robbed by disrespectful companies. Piracy doesn't come from the customers greed but the companies greed. PI is not like that and I'm sure it greatly limits piracy of their products.

this man is not alone exept that it was 2 instead of 3 for me