• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(323382)

Zeal Game dev
Jun 1, 2011
Hello!
We're back for another dev diary from a Game of Dwarves!

This week I intend to look at combat and maybe talk some more about building, this means I'll have to get into the different kinds of military dwarves as well. Firstly though I have to say that since we're not even in alpha some of these things might be susceptible to change.

The basic military dwarf starts out as a melee fighter, he got a basic axe can fend of the most basic forms of enemies on the surface. He might have some trouble with enemies found in caves, but with courage and some friends he could defend the settlement during the early stages of a game.
However as you all know, the deeper you dig, the harder enemies get, so our military dude needs to hone his skills and become stronger.
There are two main ways for the military dwarf to gain experience, either you send him into combat on the higher layers that you think he can handle This gives loads of experience as well as more resources stolen from enemy caves.
However he could also find himself outnumbered and die! There must be safer ways to gain experience, well yes, you can build training dolls that your military dwarves can use to increase in level. Only problem with this is that the dolls are rather expensive and hitting them with axes and hammers have a tendency to break them, making training a costly business.

So how does experience make your dwarves stronger? Well in two ways, each level gives your dwarf a small bonus to all his stats (such as damage or health) kinda basic. However there is a more interesting aspect of leveling, at some certain levels the dwarves will advance. The basic military dwarf have the option of either becoming a fighter or a spear thrower. And of course these advance classes have further developments and so on!
This means that the player can customize his army to fit his play style. Do you like to build your settlement to look like a gauntlet with marksmen (marksdwarves?) standing on ledges, go ahead. Would you rather have a melee force to send into the enemy stronghold, do that.

What I want to do is give the player a challenge and a set of tools, then let the him loose on the world. I'm looking forward to see how you tackle everything I throw at you. This goes for more than just the combat but every challenge in the game.

(some of the concepts for the military dwarves seems fitting this week)
View attachment military_consepts.png
//Thorwalddsson

Sweet :cool:

This :

Makes me raise the following question :
The equipment is definied by the dwarf level or by what we are able to give him and he just got a free axe ?

I can't really say at this point, we're expereimenting with different things right now. We don't want the player to have to micro the equipment on each dwarf. Hoewver I'm well awear that some people do. Finding a middlegrounds in game development is a hard thing to do, to say the least!

But I'm sure the end result will turn out good :)

I can't really say at this point, we're expereimenting with different things right now. We don't want the player to have to micro the equipment on each dwarf. Hoewver I'm well awear that some people do. Finding a middlegrounds in game development is a hard thing to do, to say the least!

Yes, you highlighted the problem about it...
The best from player side would be the ability to choose with an automated system selected by default. For instance, "best weapon to the best dwarf" for this weapon as automated system. Or "Best available weapon", "Any available weapon" and then a deeper choice showing all the available weapon so the player can choose.

But I know this king of stuff is a pain in the ass to create.

This looks more promising diary after diary.
You said it won't be possible to control the workers directly, will we have direct control over the military units ?

I hope the musketdwarf concept makes it into the finished game.

You speak of training having a cost, will the player be able to meet this cost with internally generated resources, or will they have to venture down into the depths to find whatever gold or other materials they need?

I see why Dwarves always have beards. They look pretty none threatening without them. Like the poor sap in the middle of the concept art lol.

Anyway sounds cool but I think he forgot to answer the question about how you get new dwarves for your settlement.

I've been wondering a bit about building/digging/the map. As far as I've seen in screenshots, it's going to be a flat map, right? Or will it be 3d, i.e. have several height levels (more like, say, Minecraft)? I'd really love to build huge, high-ceilinged halls like in the dwarven cities in WoW or Dragon Age, or like how Moria looks in the movie version of LotR.

I wonder to what level this game can be considered plagiarism since most ideas seem taken from Dwarf fortress.
I can imagine it's extremely hard not doing anything that has been done before since DF is such a broad game. Then again you could hire Tarn Adams (DF creator) and make the best game ever known in the multiverse.

I'd really love to build huge, high-ceilinged halls like in the dwarven cities in WoW or Dragon Age, or like how Moria looks in the movie version of LotR.

Me too. It is a little odd how keen dwarves are on high ceilings given their height, but all the best dwarfholds have really tall halls.

I wonder to what level this game can be considered plagiarism since most ideas seem taken from Dwarf fortress.
I can imagine it's extremely hard not doing anything that has been done before since DF is such a broad game. Then again you could hire Tarn Adams (DF creator) and make the best game ever known in the multiverse.

I'm not sure how much of DF is original either though. Management games have been around for quite a while, dwarves and their surrounding mythology even longer.

Last edited:
Have you considered having arena combat area (a la Dungeon Keeper) for more visceral dwarf-on-dwarf combat training with (unusually) non-lethal weapons and/or as a form of entertainment for your dwarves using captured enemies?

- Crossbows? Bows? Arrow in the knee?
- Why can't those dudes look in the game like they look on the artwork? Noone expects Amalur from an indie, but it's 2012 and indies need to at least try to acknowledge that. How can I buy this game for my lil' sister if it's not cuter than a doll?