Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Closed Alpha on the horizon!

  1. #41
    Temporary Chosen One DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade to Москва
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Demki View Post
    I applied, and didn't get in to alpha... oh well, I'll get to be in the beta! yay. Back to DF...
    I think it helps if you register games and have lots of posts.
    While Chosen One in absentia, Temporary Chosen One Of The Exalted Church of YEShans

  2. #42
    General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    I think it helps if you register games and have lots of posts.
    No, I don't think it did.

  3. #43
    Temporary Chosen One DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade to Москва
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicManICT View Post
    No, I don't think it did.
    Ok, if you say so.
    While Chosen One in absentia, Temporary Chosen One Of The Exalted Church of YEShans

  4. #44
    Captain

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Greystone
    Posts
    370
    It does not matter if you have registered games or any posts. Nor does it matter when you joined Paradox forums.
    "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." ~John F. Kennedy

  5. #45
    General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    Ok, if you say so.
    I do. There are several people that got invites that had signed up on Paradox the day they found the alpha registration link. You can believe me or not. You're choice. I don't blame you for being skeptical, though. I usually maintain the same position until proof can be shown. Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide you this proof. It'd require forum admins from Paradox to provide this information.

  6. #46
    Temporary Chosen One DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade to Москва
    Posts
    9,184
    The way i see it, its like this: pre release time of a game is called "development". Companies/teams who do that - develop games, consider this very important. On top of that usually you have PR/marketing department who (in Paradox case for example) often considers release sales very - if not the most - important part of their income. For that reason until public beta (which is a limited access working version of the game) everyone wants to keep the development versions "in-house".

    When you sign up for internal beta, if youre accepted, they make you "sign" NDA (non disclosure agreement) thats supposed to be like a legal contract preventing you from releasing files and stuff without their permission. Now, technically, this isnt a real legal contract, and i really doubt they could do anything (from legal point) if you breach it (for example if youre minor, or if you live in a country that does not define this as a crime), and since this is a multimillion dollar business, on top of all that, nobody wants their competition to get hands on development versions of the game (regardless of everything).

    Thats why i think it makes sense for them to accept people who have lots of posts (which usually requires years of forum activity), or people who have registered games (which requires you to buy them so that you can have tech support and stuff) so that there is at least some leverage and insurance that you wont breach the beta agreement. If you do, they ban you, and you do suffer some damage (although its arguable if it would "hurt" people or not).

    I find it hard to believe that a serious company/team (for example Paradox who is both developer and publisher) would wanna do things other way - invite random people to internal beta's (public beta can be a different thing though) because thats almoust guaranteed way to have your game files shared on some torrent site almost immediately, which can (and probably does) hurt the game sales once they are out.

    Naturally its possible that im wrong, so in that case disregard what i wrote.
    While Chosen One in absentia, Temporary Chosen One Of The Exalted Church of YEShans

  7. #47
    General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    When you sign up for internal beta, if youre accepted, they make you "sign" NDA (non disclosure agreement) thats supposed to be like a legal contract preventing you from releasing files and stuff without their permission. Now, technically, this isnt a real legal contract, and i really doubt they could do anything (from legal point) if you breach it (for example if youre minor, or if you live in a country that does not define this as a crime), and since this is a multimillion dollar business, on top of all that, nobody wants their competition to get hands on development versions of the game (regardless of everything).
    I've a feeling you're not a lawyer here. I'll freely admit I'm not one, either. However, I have had first hand legal experiences. You can and people have been sued over breach of contract for breaking an NDA before. In the case of wide-invitation game testing, you'll probably never see it because the number of people being invited is so large it's hard to make a case that you vetted all the applicants properly to ensure that you gave access only to trustworthy people, etc. etc. (Which is why you see NDAs dropped at this point. It's nearly impossible to enforce.) Worst case: you get your access revoked.

    In the case of small groups, though, such as what has been done here, saying something publicly that seriously harms the sales could very well generate a legal matter. However, the potential feedback and improvement to any product gained from product test groups far outweighs the drawbacks. FYI, companies do this all the time and have for decades.

    Whether you sign a notarized piece of paper, click a few check boxes, or just say "I agree not to speak of what I see or do here," it's all legally binding.

    edit: post counts and previous money spent in no way indicates any particular qualities or the reliability of a person. Those are poor yardsticks upon which to measure things.

  8. #48
    Temporary Chosen One DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade to Москва
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicManICT View Post
    Whether you sign a notarized piece of paper, click a few check boxes, or just say "I agree not to speak of what I see or do here," it's all legally binding.
    No im not a lawyer but i asked people who knew stuff about law in my country.

    Do you think a company based in US, for example, could do anything to someone who breaks this contract and lives in, say, Eastern Europe, in some country that does not recognize such contract in its legal system?

    It has nothing to do with the amount of people being in beta, it has to do with practical fact that what is law in one country doesnt have to be law in another, and there is nothing you can do about that.
    While Chosen One in absentia, Temporary Chosen One Of The Exalted Church of YEShans

  9. #49
    General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    It has nothing to do with the amount of people being in beta, it has to do with practical fact that what is law in one country doesnt have to be law in another, and there is nothing you can do about that.
    And maybe this is why some people will never get picked to be in alpha or beta programs? Small indie publishers might not worry about international law as much, but a publisher like Paradox, located in Europe and large enough to have a legal team, might just be aware of this and take it into account.

  10. #50
    But tere's nothing wrong to try.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts