• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sengoku is essentially a tech demo for CK2. Granted Sengoku is fun on it's own and a great game, but it seems like it was just Paradox getting into terms with some of the new mechanics they were working on. I'd recommend CK2 over Sengoku for that reason alone. And then we get into the popularity.... CK2 has had several DLCs, and is getting much more attention then Sengoku, if you'r looking to get the game as polished as possible and new features over time you'd better off with CK2.

ok, kind of selfishly I would say get Sengoku as the only way this game will get expansions is enough sales to justify it.

If you like, or are interested in Japanese history - go Sengoku.
If you want to learn some of the character management of CK2 but want to miss out on the buggy first 6 weeks or so of an initial release and have a few spare coins - go Sengoku.

Don't worry you have Japan fan here :D
And I'm going to buy Sengoku....when I have money though.

Ever consider that being the very reason why? Most ppl are drawn to honor and all that jazz not to mention the diversity of the world as a whole, Being different is very important in culture today. So knights are great but what about eastern knights? Just some thoughts, I like the era because I don't know about it. It is a fantasy world but of a different origin with different models and different ideals, Yet still human. Very intriguing on so many levels.
The problem is why it's always Japan rather than China or other countries? Isn't a bureaucratic ancient empire more exotic and intriguing than a western-like feudal country?

The problem is why it's always Japan rather than China or other countries? Isn't a bureaucratic ancient empire more exotic and intriguing than a western-like feudal country?
I wouldn't say it's always Japan. There's lot of interest on both countries, and there are a number of games and works of other mediums that are about China, or draw heavily from it. Personally I've always felt that Korea and South East Asia are the ones that get overlooked by westerners who are focusing just on China and Japan.

But one reason for the popularity of Japan specifically is that ever since 19th century it has been the Asian country that westerners are most familiar with, and as a result many elements of Japan have become popular over here. Everyone knows samurai, ninja, the bushido code, karate, sumo wrestlers, geisha, anime, Akira Kurosawa etc.

Yes, I find China very exotic and intriguing, but unfortunately the devs usually choose the countries that people are more familiar with, so if the game is about Europe 2,000 years ago, it will be Rome or Greece, if it's about Asia, then it's Japan, and so on.
btw I love Sengoku, I'm just saying that more games focused on Asia and outside Europe would be great :)

Yes, I find China very exotic and intriguing, but unfortunately the devs usually choose the countries that people are more familiar with, so if the game is about Europe 2,000 years ago, it will be Rome or Greece, if it's about Asia, then it's Japan, and so on.
btw I love Sengoku, I'm just saying that more games focused on Asia and outside Europe would be great :)

Hmm....CK 2 Asia edition, anyone?

I would still like to see a three kingdoms game from paradox.

Hmm....CK 2 Asia edition, anyone?

Please play Camara's Umbra Spherae Mod for CK2. I have helped him with making Japan in the Heian period. There are some missing countries in Korea and Manchuria, but the mod is enough playable.

Last edited:
Please play Camara's Umbra Spherae Mod for CK2. I have helped him with making Japan in the Heian period. There are some missing countries in Korea and Manchuria, but the mod is enough playable.

I see only problem is that I don't have CK2

CK2 if only because it's more polished. In sengoku there's really no such thing as alliances either. you got to rely on plots for everything and it's also too easy to loose kuni in wars. If sengoku could have a better war system and be filled with more events then it could really compete with CK2. it would also be nice to see vassal clans more active in espionage against their rivals and trying to raise their own stature in ways that aren't a civil war with the head clan.

I meant not national history, but the large reception of European medieval history in both continents which makes people very familiar with Europe and Middle East.
Not to mention the deep relationship between the old and new worlds.

In other words, I am wondering why the Sengoku period fascinates many players and developers (both digital and analog games) despite of relatively less information (How many pages does the school book of the world history tell about that era?). Just an exoticism or a civil war situation is not enough reason to me.

No offence intended, just being objective - American World history books wont cover all that is necessary unless you go to university. In secondary school and before, they tend to teach most what has happened around your nation. American world history teachings tend to be a bit light in actual world history.

I find the Sengoku Jidai to be one of the most interesting periods of any nation, at any point in history.

No offence intended, just being objective - American World history books wont cover all that is necessary unless you go to university. In secondary school and before, they tend to teach most what has happened around your nation. American world history teachings tend to be a bit light in actual world history.
In the Japanese high school, there are two categories for the history classes:the Japanese and world history. In my generation, the world history is a "must" if you chosen the philosophical orientation, and we also have to choice extra the Japanese history or Geo. The contents of the school book about the world history is divided into the Asian (Chinese, Indian and the Near East) parts and Western (Europe and the Americas) part, so at least the half of the Japanese students had to know who are Caesar and Charlemagne although they had nothing to do with the contemporary Japan (so just to know deeper how Europe has developed), and we had to learn almost all of the Indian, Muslim and Chinese dynasties and their era.