• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

amega

Private
59 Badges
Feb 8, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
Since the games are similar I was wondering what the players out there would recommend.
I really Enjoy The era of Japan, however Sengoku seems to have been sorta of missed on the PI strat fans radar

CK2 is getting a lot of buzz. I enjoyed Deus Vult however got bored with the limited activities and constant failure to move troops where you needed them when you needed them.

So whats the take CK2 or Sengoku?

CK2 is more. You've got more things to do, and it's a generally more "complete" game. Sengoku is a nice, quick, game that is great for what it aims to do: provide you with a framework to unify Japan.

Both have their benefits. If you liked DV, CK2 will probably be right up your alley. :)

If you like Japanese history and prefer the chain of wars, I recommend Sengoku. The game doesn't handle "Our History" for many paradox fans from Europe, Americas and other areas, but very polished game.

CK2 has more depth and complex as many paradoxians expect, though. Sadly I don't have enough time to play the entire timeline between 1066-1453.

ok, kind of selfishly I would say get Sengoku as the only way this game will get expansions is enough sales to justify it.

If you like, or are interested in Japanese history - go Sengoku.
If you want to learn some of the character management of CK2 but want to miss out on the buggy first 6 weeks or so of an initial release and have a few spare coins - go Sengoku.

CK2 is more. You've got more things to do, and it's a generally more "complete" game. Sengoku is a nice, quick, game that is great for what it aims to do: provide you with a framework to unify Japan.

Both have their benefits. If you liked DV, CK2 will probably be right up your alley. :)

As above. Sengoku is pretty much focused on combat: the goal is to unite Japan under your rulership. CK2 is more of a strategic sandbox, do what you will, where dynastic and vassal management count even more than combat. Both are excellent. I like Sengoku, but find CK2 obsessive. Each to their own.

Hi folks,

As someone that was caught by surprise with CK 2 (played non-stop last 2 days - something I dont do since I was 13 years old ), do you think I will like Sengoku ? Im intrigued by the possibility to play the "political sandbox" of CK 2 on medieval japan. So what you guys say ?

Also, whats its state patch-wise ? Its playable and well polished ?

Thanks!

It's playable, although a few users report freezes.
The game is not much of a sandbox however, since it has a pre-determined goal. It's interesting to start, wease and force your way to make a bigger clan, but then it becomes increasingly more linear as you and a few other lucky clans grow and consume Japan.

It's hard to say Sengoku is better than CK2, it looks like a beta version. The interface pales in comparison, there are no pictures of children, nothing stops blobs from eating smaller players since there is no CB system or even peace deals, there are only 3 positions in the court rather than 5, there aren't as many events, diplomatic options are much simpler, etc.

CK2 is more "full" than Sengoku. For me (and probably for many others here), Sengoku felt like an appetizer for Crusader Kings 2. Of course, if Feudal Japan interests you more than Feudal Europe, that is a different issue.

One thing that Sengoku will help you with is getting very good at managing your armies and levies. You will get in some wars that go on quite a bit and require careful management of your troops to avoid getting crushed. This gives some insight for you that can be used in CKII. But after the massive wars and bloodshed of Sengoku, CKII war feels simpler, even though it is technically more sophisticated with more kinds of troops and flanks, etc. But the scale of troop management is much less.

Sengoku was also very good at honing your other-country strategic skills. You must always be looking very closely (and coldly) at what is going on around you, so you can attack someone weak or avoid being attacked. In CKII most of the attention, at least in the games I've played, has been inwardly focused. I usually only pay attention to other countries when I want to expand a little here or there.

There's a key difference in that CK2 is a game about medieval dynastic politics, while Sengoku is a game about unifying Japan by conquest. So one shouldn't expect the same level of political or dynastic aspect in Sengoku as there is in CK.

However Sengoku is very good in what it does. The gameplay aspect is much simpler than in most other PI games, but at the same time the AI is very competitive in this game, and debending on what clan you start the game as, it can oftentimes actually give you a good challenge. And that is the thing that I like about in Sengoku in that it forces you to analyze the relative strenghts of yourself and other clans, and to use and create opportunities to strengthen yourself while weakening your rivals. It's a nice balancing game, and the AI can and will punish you severly if you don't play it carefully.

I fail to see how CKII encompasses 'our history' when 'our' includes the Americas?

I meant not national history, but the large reception of European medieval history in both continents which makes people very familiar with Europe and Middle East.
Not to mention the deep relationship between the old and new worlds.

In other words, I am wondering why the Sengoku period fascinates many players and developers (both digital and analog games) despite of relatively less information (How many pages does the school book of the world history tell about that era?). Just an exoticism or a civil war situation is not enough reason to me.

Last edited:
In other words, I am wondering why the Sengoku period fascinates many players and developers (both digital and analog games) despite of relatively less information (How many pages does the school book of the world history tell about that era?). Just an exoticism or a civil war situation is not enough reason to me.
Samurai.

I sometimes really like the all-or-nothing, cut-throat, watch-all-your-neighbours-and-allies-even-closer of Sengoku. It's a game about one goal, and one goal only. Not as intricate as CK2, but a refreshing change of pace from other Paradox games every once in a while. :)

Ever consider that being the very reason why? Most ppl are drawn to honor and all that jazz not to mention the diversity of the world as a whole, Being different is very important in culture today. So knights are great but what about eastern knights? Just some thoughts, I like the era because I don't know about it. It is a fantasy world but of a different origin with different models and different ideals, Yet still human. Very intriguing on so many levels.

I'd say Sengoku is "the game" for MP. Too bad there are no organized campaigns in the forums.

i personally like sengoku more. maybe because i like having a goal... ck II laks any goals.. and its depressing how close family cares only about chopping your head off...

I like both games for what they offer in gameplay. I suggest playing both for the reasons stated previously. That way you can have the best of both gaming experiences.