• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am King of Ireland. I have the option to Usurp the Duchy of Connacht. Why would I want to do it? They are my vassal and of my Dynasty. The Duke hasn't rebelled and isn't a Heretic. Why does this button show up?

I am King of Ireland. I have the option to Usurp the Duchy of Connacht. Why would I want to do it? They are my vassal and of my Dynasty. The Duke hasn't rebelled and isn't a Heretic. Why does this button show up?

There can be a few good reasons for usurping a duchy that is already your vassal. The most obvious is if your succession law is elective, and said duke is voting against you. Other than that, holding a duchy will give you monthly prestige or the duke could be too powerful for your taste, in which case you could usurp his title and give it to someone else.

when you outnumber garrison 10:1.

Thank you. If assaulting under these circumstances, will I still lose a big part of my army, or will the 10:1 ratio ensure a somewhat safe assault?

I am vassal of the HRE and possess several kingdoms, one of them in the HRE itself (Bohemia), which makes me eligible to elect the next emperor. Yet no matter who high my relationship is with the other electors of the HRE, nobody ever elects me. The next emperor is, without fail, from the dynasty of the current emperor (not necessarily the heir, though).
I already tried everything (marrying the only daughter of the current emperor, maxing out my relationship with both emperor and electors), yet nothing helps. I even attacked the HRE to install my favorite heir to the HRE (me obviously), but as soon as I declare war, I am apparently ineligible as heir to the HRE, and can only install some other brat from the dynasty of the emperor.

Is there anything I can do to make me emperor? Possibly something that doesn't take to much time, since I am pretty much at the end of the game and just want the satisfaction of having pretty much the highest position possible.

If assaulting under these circumstances, will I still lose a big part of my army, or will the 10:1 ratio ensure a somewhat safe assault?

Depends on the defense rating of the barony you're assaulting. But unless the defense rating is very high (let's say around 8), you will probably take it with ease.

Last edited:
Im a portuguese duke, and I've been educating my heir (who was also portuguese). During one of his educational events I noticed that his portrait changed to that of an arabic kid. Looking him up I notice that he is now Andalusian. How come?

/edit Maybe I should mention that I recently had my capitol changed to a andalusian cultured county

Two remarks:

I'm a count in Navarra, I have taken another countiy of de jure Navarra duchy. Then my liege, king of Castillia creates the duchy of Navarra (because I didn't had the money yet), both needed lands are under my control. I find this weird that the liege doesn't has to hold any lands in the created title.

Then I defeat the king of Navarra and hold all lands that are de jure part of the kingdom of Navarra. But I can't form Navarra because I got to have 2 duchy titles - which were grabbed by my liege. And probably my liege will again grab the title king of Navarra if he has the gold.

Very annoying, I'm now in a lock - I Can't usurp the duchy of Navarra cause my liege has it, and I can't form the kingdom of Navarra because I don't have 2 duchies. How can I get passed this blocking effect?

Wasn't this different in CK1 were the liege needed to have at least one of the counties?

Starting the game as king of Aragón (house Jimena), I have the option to marry matrilineally my sisters to any of my cousins that are kings of the other hispanic kingdoms (house Jimena as well). When I do it, my sisters leave my Court, just as expected.

But my question is: Will the children of that union belong to the Aragonese kingdom after they are born or will they keep belonging to the father's kingdom? And most importantly, when one of them inherits their father's kingdom, would I have the chance to receive that kingdom?

Starting the game as king of Aragón (house Jimena), I have the option to marry matrilineally my sisters to any of my cousins that are kings of the other hispanic kingdoms (house Jimena as well). When I do it, my sisters leave my Court, just as expected.

But my question is: Will the children of that union belong to the Aragonese kingdom after they are born or will they keep belonging to the father's kingdom? And most importantly, when one of them inherits their father's kingdom, would I have the chance to receive that kingdom?

They will be aragonese, unless you arrange a matrilinear marriage (but I don't think they'll accept).

Ok, so they will belong to the kingdom of Aragon while they are children, right? Would I have any action possible to get any of the other kingdoms under the kingdom of Aragón then? I guess that, as soon as they grow up and the father dies, one of them will be the new king of the other kingdom and Aragon will not receive any piece of cake there, right? :(

Ok, so they will belong to the kingdom of Aragon while they are children, right? Would I have any action possible to get any of the other kingdoms under the kingdom of Aragón then? I guess that, as soon as they grow up and the father dies, one of them will be the new king of the other kingdom and Aragon will not receive any piece of cake there, right? :(

Yes, I did a mistake. I wrote "will", but I should have written "won't".

I'm not sure about this, but maybe you could try to educate them by yourself, thus keeping them in Aragona, then grant them a land title and press their claims on the other kigdoms.

A couple of things.
1. Started out as Count Ota in Bohemia. Eventually I gained control of my Dutchy through war with my brother. Then things started going strange.
My court started randomly going off on their own without orders i.e. "Bishop Vlatisov has been sent to head the inquisition in X", but I didn't order this.
2. When I join a war, or even have war in my own dutchy using only my vassals, sometimes my army randomly goes it's own direction without orders. Why do they constantly disobey my orders?
3. I can assign a technology such as Heavy Weapons, then the next month it will be focusing on something else without my ordering the change. All 3 categories do this.

It's almost as if the AI is trying to control the game or run certain aspects of it like in MTW2, where you can set the AI to control your cities or armies, except I don't want this. Any help is appreciated.

Running steam version of the game fully patched.

Yes, I did a mistake. I wrote "will", but I should have written "won't".

I'm not sure about this, but maybe you could try to educate them by yourself, thus keeping them in Aragona, then grant them a land title and press their claims on the other kigdoms.

At least, I'm thinking that, if I turned the sucession law to elective... Would I be able to elect my nephew so he inherits both Aragón and another kingdom like León or Castille? That way, I guess I would play with him and I would own 2 kingdoms at once, huh?

When I set it to max speed to get through some uneventful years I miss any requests from allies. Marriage and war requests. Is there a way to make these request pause like other notifications? And is there a list of the personality icons? I can never remember what the +fertility looks like.

I know the info is probably somewhere in this 100 page thread, and a bunch of other info that would vastly improve my abilities, but I like figuring stuff out on my own. I think it feels a little more real if I dont understand all the mechanics behind it.

Playing as the Queen of Ireland (and Wales for that matter) around 1230ish and for whatever reason my heir is my grandson rather than either of my sons. How did that happen with primogeniture succession?

When I set it to max speed to get through some uneventful years I miss any requests from allies. Marriage and war requests. Is there a way to make these request pause like other notifications? And is there a list of the personality icons? I can never remember what the +fertility looks like.

I know the info is probably somewhere in this 100 page thread, and a bunch of other info that would vastly improve my abilities, but I like figuring stuff out on my own. I think it feels a little more real if I dont understand all the mechanics behind it.

I haven't tried it on those notifications yet, but I guess that you may right click on the notification, either already opened or not, and check if it would display the window where you can decide whether to pause/unpause that kind of notifications. Otherwise, I would say that it is not possible.

As for the list of personalities and such, you can find a list in the manual, but I'm afraid that it doesn't display the respective icons.

Playing as the Queen of Ireland (and Wales for that matter) around 1230ish and for whatever reason my heir is my grandson rather than either of my sons. How did that happen with primogeniture succession?

The first thing that comes out of my mind: Are all of your elegible children (depending on if you have agnatic, agnatic-cognatic, cognatic) "valid" characters to inherit? For example, if you make one of your sons a bishop, he is discarded from sucession.

Is that grandson the son of a dead son?

Primogeniture would make your first son's son heir in preference to your second son (see Edward III -> Richard II of England).