• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question about voting in HRE:

I a Duchess of Toscana. I got an option once to vote for the heir of Duchy of Ferrara but don;t know how to go back and change my vote. In fact I can not find it anywhere to investigate what I can vote on.

I think you need to get some negative traits.

I've had: Fat, Viscous, Cruel, and Wise

Fat was from Gluttonous
Viscous was Tyranny I think
Cruel form cruelty trait
Wise from high scholar I believe

I would think you are building your heirs nice and proper so always getting Great :)

I think you need to get some negative traits.

I've had: Fat, Viscous, Cruel, and Wise

Fat was from Gluttonous
Viscous was Tyranny I think
Cruel form cruelty trait
Wise from high scholar I believe

I would think you are building your heirs nice and proper so always getting Great :)

I like a stable realm.......bit of a control freak so only "proper" schooling allowed.

What exactly are the requirements to be allowed to vote in the HRE? I became Duke of Upper Burgundy, de-jure Kingdom of Burgundy. My sucession law is yet unusual, since I still have the Elected Sucession in my duchy after the Emperor created the duchy and handed it over to me. Maybe I cannot be elector in two realms, my duchy and my empire? I don't see a reason why I am not allowed to vote. :sad:

What exactly are the requirements to be allowed to vote in the HRE? I became Duke of Upper Burgundy, de-jure Kingdom of Burgundy. My sucession law is yet unusual, since I still have the Elected Sucession in my duchy after the Emperor created the duchy and handed it over to me. Maybe I cannot be elector in two realms, my duchy and my empire? I don't see a reason why I am not allowed to vote. :sad:

Only the Dukes of Germany. (Lothrangia,Frisia,Bavaria, Germany) and Bohemia are allowed to elect the HRE Emperor. All others are not allowed. Your best bet is to gain independence. Change your succesion law and then Create Kingdom of Burgundy.

There was an exploity thing, where someone held all county capitals (and duchies and kingdoms) for himself as ERE. No taxes due to all 4 criminal buildings in every province, but mayors (and bishops/barons, but most of all mayors) still earned cash, so he'd just imprison-banish them for cash regularly, use the obscene amounts of gold to keep a standing army to put down constant peasant rebellions (due to the 4 criminal buildings). May have been more to it, but that was the main point.

Edit: Also, I don't baron-level landowners ever rebel, regardless of type. Plots, maybe.
Ah, and their opinion of you doesn't matter since you simply take what they refuse to give you anyway... Sounds intriguing but too much micro, someone else can try it. I'm not a min/max player at all. I'll play for a realm where my vassals happily send me half their income, and to keep the clickfest limited to the (rare) succession and (frequent) expansion wars. Thank you for the explanation.

Exactly how does voting in elective work? In my current game, I have several of Aquitaine's dukes with +100 relationship with me who still will vote for someone other than my candidate.

Exactly how does voting in elective work? In my current game, I have several of Aquitaine's dukes with +100 relationship with me who still will vote for someone other than my candidate.

It is not a formula that's really known by us mere mortals. Relations is probably part of the formula, but not all. Dynasty probably figures in, as well as marriages maybe. The incumbent usually does win the lion's share. I also guess that your candidate's traits and stats would very well figure in, with probably MIL and DIP playing a big role in who is a good candidate.

It is not a formula that's really known by us mere mortals. Relations is probably part of the formula, but not all. Dynasty probably figures in, as well as marriages maybe. The incumbent usually does win the lion's share. I also guess that your candidate's traits and stats would very well figure in, with probably MIL and DIP playing a big role in who is a good candidate.

Diplomacy seems key. Even with 100 opinion vassals, a 29 diplomacy duke can sometimes be a threat to your 4-year-old son's succession.

As to the nickname question: go to your CK2 folder (e.g. program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/crusader kings ii/) and open the common folder. Inside is a nicknames.txt, which has a list of nicknames along with their requirements and their chances. I still almost always see the great; you can modify the chances if you'd like. More "the just," "the kind," "the wise," "the good," "the noble," "the bold," "the strong" etc. would be cool.

Thank you!

to be specific, de jure vassals can vote. So for a kingdom its de jure dukes. for the HRE its de jure dukes and kings. The de jure HRE, at the begining of the game, is Lothringa, Frisia, Bavaria, Germany, Bohemia and Pomerania.

Newb needs advice...

So I have Ireland, have the kingdom, and the like. I also have some problems...

I don't know what to do now, every so often I get a succession war, (I've switched to primo-gentor. As a king i'm not sure what would be considered my principle title for gravelind. Hate to see a king without a demense!) Wales, Scotland etc have no independents. I can't get more 2700 troops out of my demanse. Certainly not enough to fight Scotland (Who owns have of Spain due to winning an crusade!) or England. The last remaining welsh independent is lock in perpetual war with an english earl.

SO where do I go from here? I can't imagine I can be stronger through development of my little ireland? Desperately waiting for castle structures level 2.... need more heavy cav!

Newb needs advice...

So I have Ireland, have the kingdom, and the like. I also have some problems...

I don't know what to do now, every so often I get a succession war, (I've switched to primo-gentor. As a king i'm not sure what would be considered my principle title for gravelind. Hate to see a king without a demense!) Wales, Scotland etc have no independents. I can't get more 2700 troops out of my demanse. Certainly not enough to fight Scotland (Who owns have of Spain due to winning an crusade!) or England. The last remaining welsh independent is lock in perpetual war with an english earl.

SO where do I go from here? I can't imagine I can be stronger through development of my little ireland? Desperately waiting for castle structures level 2.... need more heavy cav!

Primogeniture is a good choice if you have many sons, but don't land your younger ones! That's a surefire way to get succession crises. With gavelkind, exactly how the titles are divided is a bit of a matter of debate, but your firstborn will gain at least 1 duchy and 1 county. As for who to attack, you could try expanding your realm peacefully through marriage (and assassination if necessary,) attack some weaker Muslims or pagans, or wait for one of your nearby enemies to get into a civil war, and strike then.

A quick question: When, if ever, should I assault a holding instead of waiting for my siege to break the morale of the defenders?

I remember having done it once, where I lost a huge amount of levies...

How to get the information about gaining new trait?

For example, my 12-yers-old son gain gain "illness" and NO information about it? I cannot find any option in message settings about it.