• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, England has Agnatic succession. I have become the biggest landholder in England and could pretty easily claim lordship over England... if I had a claim. How the heck do I get a claim if I can't marry into the family?

You can rebel for independence, then usurp the title. Or you can excommunicate the king, whiole having high piety and good realtions with the Pope, then he might ask you to take over the job. Or you could get a female heir yourself, marry prince number four matrilnearly, then press his claim and wait for the kids to inherit everything.

Just the first few methods that pop to mind.

Which screen do I use to see what the Pope's opinion of a ruler is?

Also, are there any measures that can be used to lower the Pope's opinion of a ruler? Does using my Chaplain to conduct an inquisition in a foreign ruler's capital create the possibility of the ruler being outed as a Heretic (Tooltip says likelihood of a random noble being outed as a heretic is around 30% with a level 20+ Chaplain... seems high)? I'm trying to use the "Request Invasion" option but can never get the conditions set up just right.

You can rebel for independence, then usurp the title. Or you can excommunicate the king, whiole having high piety and good realtions with the Pope, then he might ask you to take over the job. Or you could get a female heir yourself, marry prince number four matrilnearly, then press his claim and wait for the kids to inherit everything.

Just the first few methods that pop to mind.

Thanks!

Which screen do I use to see what the Pope's opinion of a ruler is?

Also, are there any measures that can be used to lower the Pope's opinion of a ruler? Does using my Chaplain to conduct an inquisition in a foreign ruler's capital create the possibility of the ruler being outed as a Heretic (Tooltip says likelihood of a random noble being outed as a heretic is around 30% with a level 20+ Chaplain... seems high)? I'm trying to use the "Request Invasion" option but can never get the conditions set up just right.

Right click the pope's face, right click the profile of a face icon, and you can open a relations screen.

To get an invasion, they CANNOT be heretic, they have to be Catholic. If they're heretic, you can just holy war them. To get an invasion, you need 500 piety, and a personal claim on the highest title in the realm you want to invade (i.e., if invading France, you need a claim on France, not Champagne.) Alternatively, if you don't have a claim, their realm size (check the independent states screen of the ledger, I believe it's the 10th one) must be larger than yours.

Is there an easy way to select ships rather than troops? IE: click and drag selects troops, shift-click and drag selects ships.

First select one ship, then hold shift and drag a box around all the other ships.

Right click the pope's face, right click the profile of a face icon, and you can open a relations screen.

That only shows you people's opinions of the Pope, not the Pope's opinions of them. Unfortunately.

Hey there, quick question: I've seen several references to "press all claims" during a war.

However, even if I have multiple valid claims on a single country, I never get the option to press more than one at a time. Am I missing something obvious, or is this the correct way for things to be?

I've seen references in the game to "persons of interest", apparently a feature that makes it easier to keep an eye on someone. How do I set somebody as "person of interest" and and how can I see a list of them later?

Last edited:
I've seen references in the game to "persons of interest", apparently a feature that makes it easier to keep an eye on someone. How do I set somebody as "person of interest" and and how can I see a list of them later?

You right click their portrait. Then you right click the face looking button that has popped up. That will get you a few more buttons. One of these will I believe be a star. You just left click the star and voila, they are a person of interest. And then their name should show up as green in the little toolbox thing on the right of the screen. You know the one that shows you sieges and combats and stuff.

it's been 10 years since I held that damn tournament, I thought these events were fixed already. QQ

Dej6D.jpg

Last edited:
Hey there, quick question: I've seen several references to "press all claims" during a war.

However, even if I have multiple valid claims on a single country, I never get the option to press more than one at a time. Am I missing something obvious, or is this the correct way for things to be?

It only applies to personal claims; meaning, no de jure claims, no holy wars, no vassal claims, no excommunicated ruler CB, etc. If you hold a claim on counties X and Y, and declare war on duke XYZ, you can take both counties in one war. If, however, you have a claim on county X, a vassal has a claim on county Y, and county Z is your de jure land, you have to fight a separate war for each county.

I hope this helps!

In an elective kingdom, will heirs of the current dynasty get claims on the kindgom if a ruler from another dynasty is elected to be ruler? I ask because I just witnessed Denmark conquer Sweden to install the mother of the Denmark's king. The queen's song (king of Denmark) is nowhere amongst the top 3 heirs.

-If you have several kingdom titles and you want to change succession law in one of them, do you need positive opinion from all your vassals, or only those who are de jure vassal s from that kingdom?

-How long does the -100 penalty for changing succession law last?

I'm trying to use the "Request Invasion" option but can never get the conditions set up just right.
To get an invasion, they CANNOT be heretic, they have to be Catholic. If they're heretic, you can just holy war them. To get an invasion, you need 500 piety, and a personal claim on the highest title in the realm you want to invade (i.e., if invading France, you need a claim on France, not Champagne.) Alternatively, if you don't have a claim, their realm size (check the independent states screen of the ledger, I believe it's the 10th one) must be larger than yours.
There is a bug, introduced in 1.05e that disables the Request Invasion option. That may also be why Spectrum_Prez can't get the conditions set up right, currently. It should be as SaintEsteban described, was in 1.05d, and hopefully will be again.

Enoch, crown laws apply within the de jure territory of that particular kingdom and I imagine the penalty would last a decade.