• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Awesome,

Ok so one vassal hates me because of 'wrong government type' what is that?

That's a malus you get with all vassals of Lord Mayor or Prince-Bishop type. They just don't like you very much, you feudal person you. It's a tradeoff for how they're generally easier to manage.

Quick question - is it possible to mod titles(e.g. Emperor titles) so that cities are compatible holdings for them?

Haven't tried this, and the question is a bit unclear, but if you mean "can cities be modded to be compatible for feudal lords" then the answer is a tentative yes (I know I've seen this in the files, but haven't played around with them), if on the other hand you mean "can the emperor tier for feudals be compatible with cities" then I'm almost certain that's a no. I've seen nothing that hints about the possibility of this.

Thanks for all the help so far!

How do I improve my crown authority?
And who can I give a title for a city mayor thing to, who wont think it's beneath them?

Go to the Laws screen, the hammer icon. Once per ruler you can change a crown law (crown authority or investiture.) It's put to a vote, though, so your vassals better like it.

As for the city, give it to a courtier in your realm who doesn't already hold a feudal or ecclesiastical title. Go to the character search, and filter by male, my culture, my religion, not in prison. Sort by stewardship and give the city to the best candidate! (By best, I mean preferably content, avoiding envious and ambitious like the plague. I'd encourage passing on vassals with deceitful as well, but if they're sufficiently good otherwise go for it.)

Just playing a game where my Duke of Brittany rebelled. The King of France decided he wanted to push a claim on Brittany when I'd nearly finished the war. I got up to 100% War Score but because he had now occupied one of Brittany's territories I couldn't offer any peace treaty to Brittany. This is odd as I've frequently had wars end up inconclusively when I've interfered in a civil war and had occupied holdings, so why couldn't I end the war? Frustratingly, I had earlier had an offer of a White Truce from Brittany when I'd reached 66% War Score but I rejected it as I wanted to win comprehensively and enforce demands.

Also Brittany appears to be elective. If I revoke the Duchy will it become Primo like my own crown laws (Ireland). Kingdom of Brittany doesn't exist.

Any way to transport allies in your ships?? ... I have 10k of AI armies just sitting in my capital when they should be sailing to Jerusalem to actually do something. 8 people joined my war of defense, none have gotten troops to the field .. Also, when i accepted an offer to join, my Holy Crusaders stack (or whatever they're called) disbanded itself ... whats up with that?

Just playing a game where my Duke of Brittany rebelled. The King of France decided he wanted to push a claim on Brittany when I'd nearly finished the war. I got up to 100% War Score but because he had now occupied one of Brittany's territories I couldn't offer any peace treaty to Brittany. This is odd as I've frequently had wars end up inconclusively when I've interfered in a civil war and had occupied holdings, so why couldn't I end the war? Frustratingly, I had earlier had an offer of a White Truce from Brittany when I'd reached 66% War Score but I rejected it as I wanted to win comprehensively and enforce demands.

Also Brittany appears to be elective. If I revoke the Duchy will it become Primo like my own crown laws (Ireland). Kingdom of Brittany doesn't exist.

That does sound wierd. Have you TRIED to offer a peace settlement to Brittany? Do they say no, or is the option not available? You should also be hostile towards France (a small yellow/beige notification where else there would be red war notifications) and should therefore be able to siege the county they hold in Brittany. Taking it FROM France, leaving you in control. If you can do that, then the other problem with peace offerings will disappear I think.

Any way to transport allies in your ships?? ... I have 10k of AI armies just sitting in my capital when they should be sailing to Jerusalem to actually do something. 8 people joined my war of defense, none have gotten troops to the field .. Also, when i accepted an offer to join, my Holy Crusaders stack (or whatever they're called) disbanded itself ... whats up with that?

I don't think it's possible to transport allies. POSSIBLY if their army is attached to yours, though I've never seen that happen. Accepted an offer to joing what exactly? And by Holy Crusaders, do you mean one of the Holy Orders? If so, I believe they joing the Pope directly when Crusading. That is, they stop working for you, but go on Crusade nonetheless.

Does everyone is a province with a title (baron, bishop, mayor) influence the MTTH of the culture change event or does only the count...count. Also would building additional towns and giving them to a guy of my desired culture speed up the MTTH?

Last edited:
Quick Question: is there any way you can back a plot of someone else, or do you have to be invited? I discover plots sometimes which I would sure like to succeed, any way to help things along?

That does sound wierd. Have you TRIED to offer a peace settlement to Brittany? Do they say no, or is the option not available? You should also be hostile towards France (a small yellow/beige notification where else there would be red war notifications) and should therefore be able to siege the county they hold in Brittany. Taking it FROM France, leaving you in control. If you can do that, then the other problem with peace offerings will disappear I think.
Yes I was unable to do it. The tooltip over it displayed as a condition with a red X saying 'King of France doesn't hold any holdings' or something like that.

Separate question - the Pope has now excommunicated the King of France and I have enough Piety to get an Invasion CB against them. But I'm not sure I could beat them on the battlefield and can't afford that many mercenaries. Will Holy Orders fight against excommunicated Catholics?

With newest patch (1.05c) They started disallowing surrenders while hostile foreigners hold holdings. So you are Technically at war with France. Assault the holdings he's captured before his doomstacks arrive. They did this because too many people were complaining about inconclusive wars.

Does everyone is a province with a title (baron, bishop, mayor) influence the MTTH of the culture change event or does only the count...count. Also would building additional towns and giving them to a guy of my desired culture speed up the MTTH?

Only the province owner affects that event. New baronies would not affect it.

Quick Question: is there any way you can back a plot of someone else, or do you have to be invited? I discover plots sometimes which I would sure like to succeed, any way to help things along?

There's no way to join, but if you have the same plot as someone else, you'll get a +++ on your invitation for them to join yours.

Yes I was unable to do it. The tooltip over it displayed as a condition with a red X saying 'King of France doesn't hold any holdings' or something like that.

Separate question - the Pope has now excommunicated the King of France and I have enough Piety to get an Invasion CB against them. But I'm not sure I could beat them on the battlefield and can't afford that many mercenaries. Will Holy Orders fight against excommunicated Catholics?

Then I'l reiterate what I wrote above. siege/assault the province France is holding, you should be hostile to them, and therefore be able to take the province yourself.

I seem to recall that they do, but haven't tested myself. But that should be an easy test.

Is there a way to change the inheritance laws of your vassals? I gave a duchy to a family member of mine, now he changed the inheritance law to elective, the crazy bastard!
It was more probably the result of a plot by his vassals. They do stuff like that.

The only way to change it that I know of, is to revoke the title and give it back.

What determines the cost of forging a claim? Is it your rank? The rank of the forged claim (count vs. duke)? The rank of the current owner? It always seems to be more each time I do it, although that could be because I only notice when I'm running short on cash.

What determines the cost of forging a claim? Is it your rank? The rank of the forged claim (count vs. duke)? The rank of the current owner? It always seems to be more each time I do it, although that could be because I only notice when I'm running short on cash.

It scales to income and title tier.

Only the province owner affects that event. New baronies would not affect it.

There's no way to join, but if you have the same plot as someone else, you'll get a +++ on your invitation for them to join yours.

Then I'l reiterate what I wrote above. siege/assault the province France is holding, you should be hostile to them, and therefore be able to take the province yourself.

I seem to recall that they do, but haven't tested myself. But that should be an easy test.

It's funny, I have the same problem, but in reverse. I play as Wales, allied with England at some point. The English king got excom'd, his dudes immediately have a go at him. Me wanting to keep England intact as much as possible lift the excom and join his war against one of his dukes. It doesn't take long for the warscore to reach 100% with me fully occupying three counties in England.

Now here's the catch. In the meantime, I succesfully managed to install a new count in Desmond, Ireland and he became my vassal. Unfortunately, he went and joined the war against the English king. So what I've got going on right now is that my ally, who's not hostile towards me, has no way to reclaim the counties. Also, he can't -or won't- enforce his demands on the rebelling duke. Since it's not my war, neither can I.

I'm thinking I should go and kill either the English duke or the Irish count. Any thoughts?