• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, so, I'm playing as Russia, first time since the retinue re-balance. I'm planning on expanding westwards, up to Germany, then eastwards up to the edge of the map. Here is my question:

1) Should I put off the eastern expansion until later, so that when the Mongols invade they'll first have to conquer Cumania, ending up with less event troops. I could always also persuade the Pope to Crusade Cumania on my behalf, or

2) Rush eastward and try to take out the Mongols with the combined forces of my retinue, levies and allies?

In the past, I could just steamroll the Mongols with 200,000 Druzhinas/Catahphracts... Though the balance is a good thing nonetheless.

Ok, so, I'm playing as Russia, first time since the retinue re-balance. I'm planning on expanding westwards, up to Germany, then eastwards up to the edge of the map. Here is my question:

1) Should I put off the eastern expansion until later, so that when the Mongols invade they'll first have to conquer Cumania, ending up with less event troops. I could always also persuade the Pope to Crusade Cumania on my behalf, or

2) Rush eastward and try to take out the Mongols with the combined forces of my retinue, levies and allies?

In the past, I could just steamroll the Mongols with 200,000 Druzhinas/Catahphracts... Though the balance is a good thing nonetheless.

Really depends on the year and the geopolitical state of the world.

You don't need a claim on a title to be elected. Where'd you hear that at? :huh:

Sure you do if your are not closely related enough, nor an elector. This is regarding the kingdom of sweden title.

Is the teleporting ruler changeable? Example I'm chilling in my capital suddenly I'm leading the defense against raider#1015 besieging one of the counties I hold which is very far from my capital. Didn't know that rulers in Middle Age have the power to teleport and instantly know that somebody is besieging his holding.

Is the teleporting ruler changeable? Example I'm chilling in my capital suddenly I'm leading the defense against raider#1015 besieging one of the counties I hold which is very far from my capital. Didn't know that rulers in Middle Age have the power to teleport and instantly know that somebody is besieging his holding.

You can fix your location by assigning yourself to your retinue. To my knowledge, that is the only good, easy way to fix your location with any certainty.

I'm playing a zoroastrian game and my liege is hindu.

If let my liege educate one of my children so that he will be hindu, will I be able to marry him off to hindu rulers to form alliances?

Last edited:
I'm playing a zoroastrian game and my liege is hinduist.

If let my liege educate one of my children so that he will be hinduist, will I be able to marry him off to hinduist rulers to form alliances?
I think so since your child would not count as an infidel. But be warned if you attack a Hindu ruler while having one as an ally it is unlikely that he/she would help you.

I'm playing a zoroastrian game and my liege is hindu.

If let my liege educate one of my children so that he will be hindu, will I be able to marry him off to hindu rulers to form alliances?
Actually, I don't think so. I believe it also checks your character's religion before allowing marriage. I remember trying to do something similar(was HRE, wanted to ally with Caliphate against byzies, they refused even though my daughter was sunni.)

It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to take out the Mongols, when you rush at them. They don't suffer from attrition for 1 thing, so they can always over-mass against your forces.

Exactly! As the Byzantine's I have to lure them across a river into the Georgian mountains, and quickly try to get the 7 sets of 20,000 men all in the same province before the Mongols destroy them.

So I wonder, why the tribal states of Middle Asia are full of light infantries? Middle Asian states, mostly Turkic tribes, usually had hordes of cavalry.

It's just the mechanics of tribals. They only get access to mostly Light Inf and Archers. You'll get your fancy dancy horse archers once you evolve to feudalism.

I'm an Emperor. I wanted to transfer my vassal Duke to my vassal King. I realised that I can only transfer Counts or lower ranked. Is it supposed to be this way???

You can only transfer dukes to its de jure liege. The exception being landless titles.
It doesn't make too much sense to me but that was added on purpose.

I usually play a hellenic ruler. I was wondering, from a gameplay perspective, what am I missing by not having DLCs such as the Sword of Islam, Sons of Abraham, and the Republic? If anything. Thanks!

I know, that's why I asked whether any of those DLCs had any effect if I don't play as a Christian or Muslim ruler... Do they?

You might miss out of a couple of events maybe, but certainly no game mechanic.

I usually play a hellenic ruler. I was wondering, from a gameplay perspective, what am I missing by not having DLCs such as the Sword of Islam, Sons of Abraham, and the Republic? If anything. Thanks!
Republics are a lot of fun, but completely different style. Not needed unless you want to play as a Republic.

You need Legacy of Rome to enable Retinues.