• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are a list of current wars and those involved in the ledger.

I need my war starts shown in pop ups, just my thing, i like to be in the know when a war starts and how it ends..aka peace pop ups. For some reason I cant seem to get this message priority thing to work at all. All my settings for priority 1 show up in the low priority mailbox which is too easy to miss.

So I'm still a little fuzzy on how technology works. (I did read the wikia entry). So, each county has its own level for each tech category. For some techs, the effects make obvious sense, for example Religious Customs grants an opinion bonus for the Bishop holding any given Church in that county. But for other techs, I'm not sure how to interpret the benefit... like with Siege Equipment, the bonus is to Siege Speed... is that applied to the troops raised from that county, or is it applied in some other way? Or is only the capital county's improved speed applied to your troops, but to all of them? Seems it would be the former.

The other question then is about advancing technology. Does the focus apply to all counties, or only to your capital county? The hint screen in the game implies that it only applies to advances in your capital, but the tooltip for the focus button just says it increases the chances of advancing the tech. So where does the focus apply? And if it applies only to your capital, then is it a better strategy to set a focus, set an advisor in your capital, then once you get the level up it will hopefully spread more easily from there to your other counties by virtue of being neighboring (and/or moving the advisor along to help the spread as well)?

Question. Where are all the epic plots? I was playing an Irish minor in a 1.02 patch and the only plot I could get was the one to kill my wife. XD
You don't get any of the fun plots unless you have a liege. Most of them are plotting against your liege, so obviously don't apply. The last one, the murder plot, is also disabled for independent rulers.

So I have 10 children, and they're all married off. I've noticed that the ONLY ones that are having kids are the ones I've given land to, and thus moved out of my court. Is this supposed to be like this? Will any of my kids that I want to keep in my court ever have children of their own?

Just became regent of the Byzantine Empire, does this give me any cool stuff to do? Can I murder the empress and take the throne for myself? Can I change some laws? Can I nick some other vassal's land? Can I at least embezzle some money from the imperial treasury?

The Pope and I have a relationship of 80+. Is there anything i can do with itk before my Duke or the Pope dies? What does the Pope do anyway?

Request invasion CBs and excommunication. A high relationship with the pope will also make it very difficult for someone to excommunicate you.

What succession laws are easiest to manege? Is oldest son inheriting all better than even split among all kids?

Primogeniture keeps your realm together nicely. However, this means second and third sons can't inherit anything, so they hate you, and they plot to kill your heir. Gavelkind keeps most people happy, but you may lose land on succession.

Is there any good way to search for a specific character? I've had a few availeable plots for killing some insignificant courtier in some backwater provice and it took forever to find out just who it was.

The best way is either to go to the character search and search by name, or, if it says in where they are a courtier, use "find title", click on the holder, then his court.

Hello,

I've a question. I started the game as a count of Artois. I became the duke of Flanders. I backstabbed France in order to become independent.
Now I'm independent and have no liege, but I don't know how to become a kingdom. I'd like to become one, so I can change the succession laws. (if I try now; I still need some modifier abled from France appearantly) :s

Many thanks

Request invasion CBs and excommunication. A high relationship with the pope will also make it very difficult for someone to excommunicate you.

Primogeniture keeps your realm together nicely. However, this means second and third sons can't inherit anything, so they hate you, and they plot to kill your heir. Gavelkind keeps most people happy, but you may lose land on succession.

The best way is either to go to the character search and search by name, or, if it says in where they are a courtier, use "find title", click on the holder, then his court.

I think Ill go Primogeniture. I could always just give the others gifts or honorary titles to keep them happy.

I've got a question as well. When can I use claims of courtiers and/or family? Playing as the count of Lucca (and Parma by now), I can declare war on my liege Toscana with a claim for the county of Corsica (useless because it'd go to a random courtier of mine who has the claim), but I can't declare war on that same liege for the duchy of toscana or the duchy of modena. The claim is held by my heir's wife, along with a bunch of other claims (misc counties in italy like ferrara and spoleto) but I can't use any of them for some reason.

I had to had her husband killed to get her to marry into my family and move into my court, so I better get to use the claims :closedeyes:

Question about the Chancellor task Sow Dissent. If a king has a particularly powerful duke and I'd like to sower relations between them do I place my Chancellor on the King or on the Duke? Or either?

As to the question above me: Yep, numbers have trumped every fight I've been in but maybe...2 and those involved 3 very superior generals and mountains on my side.

Im having a hard time understanding the titles and all that.

So im playing as the Duchy of munster 1066 and I manage to conquer ossory and desmond. But why do they (plus thurmond) all still have the county shield on it if I gant the landed title to someone? When I look around the map, other duchys do the same thing but their vassels county shields arent on the map?

Is it normal for my enemies to declare war before truce is over ? And if I try declaring war on them it says i'll lose 100 prestige and 50 piety, but they don't seem to be losing anything.

wth. ><

AI does not break truces, remember though, truces are one sided. So if you declared war, then peace is declared, the AI could immediately declare war, assuming all other requirements are met.
So I'm still a little fuzzy on how technology works. (I did read the wikia entry). So, each county has its own level for each tech category. For some techs, the effects make obvious sense, for example Religious Customs grants an opinion bonus for the Bishop holding any given Church in that county. But for other techs, I'm not sure how to interpret the benefit... like with Siege Equipment, the bonus is to Siege Speed... is that applied to the troops raised from that county, or is it applied in some other way? Or is only the capital county's improved speed applied to your troops, but to all of them? Seems it would be the former.

The other question then is about advancing technology. Does the focus apply to all counties, or only to your capital county? The hint screen in the game implies that it only applies to advances in your capital, but the tooltip for the focus button just says it increases the chances of advancing the tech. So where does the focus apply? And if it applies only to your capital, then is it a better strategy to set a focus, set an advisor in your capital, then once you get the level up it will hopefully spread more easily from there to your other counties by virtue of being neighboring (and/or moving the advisor along to help the spread as well)?

Most techs matter for the county they are in, for instance bow attack applies to troops from that county, if you have individual levies raised you can mouse over the individual units and see what applies to them. I would think siege would apply by county, but cannot confirm that. Certain techs, legalism for instance, are capital only.
Focus is demesne wide, councilors are province only. Tech strategy I'm not so sure on, I tend to leave the concilors in my capital, only moving them if some county is particularly backwards.

Is there any good way to search for a specific character? I've had a few availeable plots for killing some insignificant courtier in some backwater provice and it took forever to find out just who it was.

Tamius23's methods work. If it is dealing with a plot though there is another way. Look in the intrigue tab at current plots, both the plotter and target show up.

So I have 10 children, and they're all married off. I've noticed that the ONLY ones that are having kids are the ones I've given land to, and thus moved out of my court. Is this supposed to be like this? Will any of my kids that I want to keep in my court ever have children of their own?

Your court has a soft cap on size, after reaching it fertility decreases, so your court isn't 500 people.

Just became regent of the Byzantine Empire, does this give me any cool stuff to do? Can I murder the empress and take the throne for myself? Can I change some laws? Can I nick some other vassal's land? Can I at least embezzle some money from the imperial treasury?

There are some regent events, and prestige, exempting that being a regent does little for the regent.

Last edited:
Is there some law that lets you use females on your council, or is it permanently locked out?