• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm still wondering whom I should marry my children with (especially the daughters). I'm playing a Moscow norse duke within a pagan-feudal kingdom, and these topics become even more and more complicated with the new "imprison-execute" Gavelkind rules. And there's not so much choice, but I'd like to learn some techniques that are more subtle than "marry your daughter matrilinearly" and "marry your heir with Miss Good-stats".

I'm still wondering whom I should marry my children with (especially the daughters). I'm playing a Moscow norse duke within a pagan-feudal kingdom, and these topics become even more and more complicated with the new "imprison-execute" Gavelkind rules. And there's not so much choice, but I'd like to learn some techniques that are more subtle than "marry your daughter matrilinearly" and "marry your heir with Miss Good-stats".
Marry boys to women with high stewardship (increases demesne limit) and with traits that can be passed down (strong, genius or quick, attractive)
I won't go into claims, as I don't ever care about them.

Two very basic techniques I use:

1) Marry your daughters normally to the sons/brothers of nearby rulers, for the alliance; or to sons/brothers of powerful vassals, for the relations bonus. The problem is that they might create children with strong claims, who will in turn try to take your realm, the advantage is that you can use these alliances to grow powerful enough to stop them from even trying.

2) Marry yours daughters to someone whom they'll have good relations with and/or will give them prestige as a wife. It's always nice to know your little princess grew up to become a proper queen.

Two very basic techniques I use:

1) Marry your daughters normally to the sons/brothers of nearby rulers, for the alliance; or to sons/brothers of powerful vassals, for the relations bonus. The problem is that they might create children with strong claims, who will in turn try to take your realm, the advantage is that you can use these alliances to grow powerful enough to stop them from even trying.

2) Marry yours daughters to someone whom they'll have good relations with and/or will give them prestige as a wife. It's always nice to know your little princess grew up to become a proper queen.

3) Marry your daughters (and other close female relatives) matrilineally to guys with genius/quick to get them in your family

First proper attempt at a Republic playthrough: how do I upgrade my Palace? I can't buy any of the family estate upgrades because they all require Palace level 3.

I have two questions on two different play throughs that I am doing:

1) Doing a Byzantine game, and I can't throw a feast. The option is not just greyed out, it is not in the list anymore. I had a king who was new to the throne die in battle, and then his son, with pretty good stats, took over. Before the father died feasts were an option -- since he died they have not been. A feast was not ongoing when he died either.

2) Also doing a nubian duke>Nubia> Abyssinian empire game, and have a question on the holy order of St Anthony. So, I am Nubian, but I have formed the Abyssinian empire. I am trying to vassalize the Holy Order of St Anthony, but they are always Ethiopian, and the "foreigner" malus prevents them from saying yes. I've noticed several times Nubians being the heir to the Holy order, sometimes people of my family -- but when I assassinate the current head of the Holy order, immediately upon succeeding the heir turns Ethiopian. Is this working as intended, is there some sort of mechanism that makes the head of this holy order Ethiopian, no matter what?

2) Also doing a nubian duke>Nubia> Abyssinian empire game, and have a question on the holy order of St Anthony. So, I am Nubian, but I have formed the Abyssinian empire. I am trying to vassalize the Holy Order of St Anthony, but they are always Ethiopian, and the "foreigner" malus prevents them from saying yes. I've noticed several times Nubians being the heir to the Holy order, sometimes people of my family -- but when I assassinate the current head of the Holy order, immediately upon succeeding the heir turns Ethiopian. Is this working as intended, is there some sort of mechanism that makes the head of this holy order Ethiopian, no matter what?
Certain holy orders are "culture locked", yes... If someone of a different culture gets to the position of Grandmaster they instantly culture convert... I know it by experience, having had your exact same problem, only I was Egyptian rather than Nubian...

First proper attempt at a Republic playthrough: how do I upgrade my Palace? I can't buy any of the family estate upgrades because they all require Palace level 3.
Research and/or change your capital to a province with higher tech. I see no other way.

But I can't see any sort of Palace option to upgrade :confused:
The Palace Upgrade is the first line from top when you click on your little palace icon in the Republic tab (to doublecheck, it should be the one that gives you more taxes, extra troops, and more trade posts).
Technology shouldn't be a problem as I don't think there are any requirements for house upgrades other then Palace level and money, so unless you bugged out somehow I think the problem is likely you not having enough money for it yet.

Succession question
Playing a ruler who has 3 acknowledged bastard sons at game start
Marry him, get a legitimate son
Shouldn't the legitimate son jump to the top of the inheritence queue? Hes still stuck behind the 3 bastards

Succession question
Playing a ruler who has 3 acknowledged bastard sons at game start
Marry him, get a legitimate son
Shouldn't the legitimate son jump to the top of the inheritence queue? Hes still stuck behind the 3 bastards
No... because you legitimized those bastards

No... because you legitimized those bastards

Hey, I didn't, the AI did before I got there
Still from what I know a bastard, even acknowledged ranked below legitimate children