• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It depends... on the tax laws and your relations with the counts and duke.

The default tax rate on feudal vassals is zero, so you probably aren't getting anything from the counts or their sub-holdings anyway. Their holdings pay them, and since they owe you zero percent, you get nothing. Create a duchy and it goes up one chain and you still get... nothing.

If you raised your feudal tax law and the Duke's tax law is zero, then yes by creating the Duke you would see a net reduction in tax since he is collecting only from his demesne and none from his vassals...

edit - except raising the tax law could hurt relations, which might or might not reduce taxes more than you gain... then it starts getting complicated I guess, since that all starts to depend on diplo stat, relative traits, and so on. I bet someone did the math to see which way is optimal.

Thank you. I have raised the feudal tax (there is no way the 30 or so counts get to keep all their gold!), and having now tested it by transferring the duchy of Apulia to my heir, it seems that yes, creating and handing out duchies will hurt me economically. According to the ledger, the counts in Apulia do no longer pay tax to me.

Wouldn't it be best to not ever create new duchies, and then, just before the game ends, create as many as you can to gain the instant prestige/score?

Ive found a few times if my ruler is imprissioned and i die imprisoned my heir ends up imprisoned as well when they inherit, but dont have the bars over the portrait, is this some sort of carry over effect?

Thank you. I have raised the feudal tax (there is no way the 30 or so counts get to keep all their gold!), and having now tested it by transferring the duchy of Apulia to my heir, it seems that yes, creating and handing out duchies will hurt me economically. According to the ledger, the counts in Apulia do no longer pay tax to me.

Wouldn't it be best to not ever create new duchies, and then, just before the game ends, create as many as you can to gain the instant prestige/score?
True, the counts would pay the Duke first if anything, but I think the thing I read was that tax and levy you ultimately get from your vassals scales by their opinion of you, and vassalizing Dukes supposedly leaves fewer people you need to keep happy... as Kings come and go, this might have an effect beyond the immediate generation. Did your levy go up or down? If they both went down, keeping duchies uncreated sounds like a winner.

There is one problem I have run into with that however. Sometimes a count will get powerful enough to claim 50% of the provinces and create the Duchy himself, and they are always trying. The count gets the instant prestige instead. You get a new Duke anyway.

My solution, though you can try your own and please share, is to create all the uncreated two-province duchies I collect ASAP, since the count already has the 50% threshold from the first county. I then watch my realm to see who is getting powerful as time passes. If someone looks like they could create a Duchy, I'll create it myself and give it to one of the content and/or non-ambitious counts.

It seems from my one Kingdom game so far that the 3- and 4-county duchies (only two counties are required to create one of those) are all created within a century or so as the smaller vassals save up their cash and marry (or fight) their way into the second county they need.

edit - I wasn't able to create them all myself or stop them from being created. The only duchies that remain uncreated in my current game (now in the year 1299) are the ones I intentionally held the majority of the provinces myself. As I swept through Spain with holy wars, some Emirates were eliminated in the process (in this game, Grenada and Valencia) giving me Duchy-free provinces that I decided I would keep (to avoid the penalties from other people desiring my land).

Last edited:
How do I claim titles? I can't find it on province owners' diplomacy pages.

You can also invite someone to your court who holds a claim (click the shield of the county you wanna claim and the click "claimants") and wage war in their name. It is a bit tricky way to get a claim though, but if you have a crappy Chancellor this might be a valid solution.

Is there a way to get as much kids as possible?

To start out my game I wish to have my 3 member dynasty breed like rabbits in an attempt to get a huge and healthy bloodline in place to prevent problems at a later stage. (problems e.g. retarded kids and only 1 possible heir)

Is there a way aside from luck and a couple of traits to increase my chances of getting kids and maybe even get a family of Apulian standards?

Is there a way to get as much kids as possible?

To start out my game I wish to have my 3 member dynasty breed like rabbits in an attempt to get a huge and healthy bloodline in place to prevent problems at a later stage. (problems e.g. retarded kids and only 1 possible heir)

Is there a way aside from luck and a couple of traits to increase my chances of getting kids and maybe even get a family of Apulian standards?

There is a limit of 5 children per woman in her court. Get them educated elsewhere or murder your wife and get yourself a new one as soon as possible. There's no other way than lots of wives, ideally with the "lustful" trait.

Hi, I'm in a bit of a situation concerning gavelkind succession. Here's the thing:

I am duke of Toscana, Modena and Ferrara, and hold a couple of other counties in Italy. At his birth, I gave my first-born son the Grand-City of Bologna. He's now Mayor of the City. He's got two younger brothers. My questions are:
1/ When I die, my first son remains Mayor of Bologna. Will he turn my duchy of toscana into a republic or is he going to be Duke and have the "wrong gouvernment" penalty in Bologna?
2/ I don't want to lose my other territories as I have few income atm. Can I give my two other duchies to my elder son and leave the two others with nothing?
3/ Will the money he made with Bologna be added to my current treasure?

Thanks for helping!

Hello I have a few more questions if anyone would be kind enough to help I would appreciate it immensely!

1) When you conquer a city with a different religion you are supposed to use your Chaplain to convert the religion but does the recently conquered buff have to drop before you can convert or are their any other prerequisites before the religion conversion can happen because it seemed like my first conversion took like 15 years but a few quickly followed?!?

2) Speaking of the recently conquered debuff is their anyway to remove that quicker by using your council or do you just have to wait them out?

3) During wars people get taken prisoner during battles and what not if one of your sons for example get taken captive is their anyway you can get them out of prison or is it completely AI controlled?

And finally I am not a 100% clear on handing out counties/duchies and how it affects your prestige/piety/gold etc... I just realized that when you hold a county that doesn't mean you control the city or the bishopric that being said do you still get the tax money they both generate IF you only control the county?

Also this is an example if I give one of my sons who is not my heir, three counties and a duchie within my kingdom what perks or bonuses do you receive from that? Do you get a % of the gold that generates from those counties and duchie, do you get a prestige bonus still or do those lands operate entirely on their own without me gaining any benefit?

Thanks!!!

You can also invite someone to your court who holds a claim (click the shield of the county you wanna claim and the click "claimants") and wage war in their name. It is a bit tricky way to get a claim though, but if you have a crappy Chancellor this might be a valid solution.

And how can I use their claim in order to keep them vassals? Do I have to win the war to them and then ask them?

And how can I use their claim in order to keep them vassals? Do I have to win the war to them and then ask them?

1) Make him your vassal by granting him a fief before declaring war. This will keep him as your vassal after pressing their claims.

2) Marry him to one of your dynasty members matrilineally. When they have a son, kill the father, his claims will pass to his son who is now of your dynasty. He will be your vassal after you press his claim.

Hi, I'm in a bit of a situation concerning gavelkind succession. Here's the thing:

I am duke of Toscana, Modena and Ferrara, and hold a couple of other counties in Italy. At his birth, I gave my first-born son the Grand-City of Bologna. He's now Mayor of the City. He's got two younger brothers. My questions are:
1/ When I die, my first son remains Mayor of Bologna. Will he turn my duchy of toscana into a republic or is he going to be Duke and have the "wrong gouvernment" penalty in Bologna?
2/ I don't want to lose my other territories as I have few income atm. Can I give my two other duchies to my elder son and leave the two others with nothing?
3/ Will the money he made with Bologna be added to my current treasure?

Thanks for helping!
1/ I am not sure. I had an unlanded son inherit a bishopric once (I had the penalty) and he became a bishop. Your situation is different but I think it will become a republic. That might mean a game over, but as I said I am not sure what will happen. The line between burgher and feudal is pretty vague. I once made my uncle mayor after marrying him to a duchess. Their children not only inherited the duchy but also the city for some reason.
2/Yes, but you will have no control over them as they will not be your vassal
3/ He is your vassal and will pay you taxes as every other burgher vassal.

I'll go the first way, since I keep getting only sons...

It is quicker and cheaper. I generally grant the claimant a county and after pressing his claim, I revoke his previous title. Yeah, this has some nasty effects but you can live with it if your realm is not very big. Also, revoking his first title could make him revolt and then you could take his new title without any penalties. That is killing two birds with a single stone.

I need someone to clear up a bit of confusion for me: I have agnatic-cognatic primogeniture inheritance and 4 daughters - they oldest was probably assassinated (on the day I married her of, that was "funny"), so the second oldest got to be heir. To keep the lineage going I married her matrilinial to a courtier and simply married the others of ... but for some reason now my third oldest daughter is heir to my kingdom.
Is this because she has son, while the oldest has only a daughter? And will it change back once the oldest has one (assuming she ever has)? =)

Wondering what causes a Duke to desire a Kingdom title.

I currently have one Duke in a Kingdom that I have 2 of 3 Duchies who has no desire, but another in a different Kingdom whom desires the Kingdom. In the latter I don't have any direct Duchies and less vassals than the Duke. Not sure what, if any, of these factors is causing the different behaviour between Dukes.

I need someone to clear up a bit of confusion for me: I have agnatic-cognatic primogeniture inheritance and 4 daughters - they oldest was probably assassinated (on the day I married her of, that was "funny"), so the second oldest got to be heir. To keep the lineage going I married her matrilinial to a courtier and simply married the others of ... but for some reason now my third oldest daughter is heir to my kingdom.
Is this because she has son, while the oldest has only a daughter? And will it change back once the oldest has one (assuming she ever has)? =)

Sometimes inheritance gets messed up. Try saving and reloading, that may fix your issue.

I read about that, but I simply played on and it changed back to the oldest daughter as she had a son. My guess is that this is WAD, the daughter who ensures that the male lineage will go on gets to inherit - sounds sensible ;)