• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
thanks guys for previous help.

another question, how do you change culture?

Once an adult, a character can't change culture, except for the special event which turns Normans and Saxons English, and the decision to adopt one's liege's culture. The best way to change a dynasty's culture is to have your heir educated by someone of the culture to which you want it to convert.

And I have several sons, do i give pretenders one county? Or make them bishops? Also how do I that?

To give them counties, go to their diplomatic menu and select "give landed title" or something like that. To make them bishops, start off by granting them temples, then you can give them counties and duchies - they'll become prince-bishops and things.

As far as I know, it depends on what type of other holdings you have (your MAIN holding). If you give a city to a baron/count he would get the same penalty. If you give a city to someone who doesn't own anything else, they just become a major, without the wrong-holder penalty.

I think.

You think correctly.

So if I give a castle to a lord mayor, he will get the penalty? But if a person is landless he can be receiving anything? And then he can only own holdings the same as what he first got. I think I understand it now.

So if I give a castle to a lord mayor, he will get the penalty?

Yes, he will have an income penalty from the castle.

But if a person is landless he can be receiving anything?

Yes.

And then he can only own holdings the same as what he first got. I think I understand it now.

He can move his capital to a different holding, though - for example, if he moves his capital from a city to a temple, he will stop being a mayor and start being a bishop. He will then get an income penalty from his city.

Edit: beaten ^^^

So if I give a castle to a lord mayor, he will get the penalty?

Yeah, thats how it works.

As a side note, as far as I know, lord-major is a title for someone holding both a castle and a city. It's the act of mixing the different types of holding that creates that specific title. With only a city he is a major, and with only a castle he is either a baron or a count.

I must stress that I am by no means 100% sure about this, and would like to get it confirmed. (I was wrong, see below)

But if a person is landless he can be receiving anything? And then he can only own holdings the same as what he first got.

Yes.

Last edited:
Yeah, thats how it works.

As a side note, as far as I know, lord-major is a title for someone holding both a castle and a city. It's the act of mixing the different types of holding that creates that specific title. With only a city he is a major, and with only a castle he is either a baron or a count.

I must stress that I am by no means 100% sure about this.

Not quite. A Lord Mayor is someone who holds a city and a county, or a county where the capital of the county is a city.

Okay thank you :)

Yeah there are different titles for each tier for each holding type:

Baron -> Count -> Duke -> King

Mayor -> Lord Mayor -> Dodge -> Serene Dodge

Bishop -> Prince Bishop -> Prince Archbishop -> Pope

Of course these titles change depending on your culture as well...

Once an adult, a character can't change culture, except for the special event which turns Normans and Saxons English, and the decision to adopt one's liege's culture. The best way to change a dynasty's culture is to have your heir educated by someone of the culture to which you want it to convert.

To give them counties, go to their diplomatic menu and select "give landed title" or something like that. To make them bishops, start off by granting them temples, then you can give them counties and duchies - they'll become prince-bishops and things.

You think correctly.

Thank you

More questions:

My wife the queen of Aragon and heir to duchy of antiquine . She took my heir with her. Issue he needs a wife, problem I can only arrange him to marry into my court. Help? I married him to the most eligible person, my half sister cough

What is the easiest way, as a king, to give a county from my demesne to another king?

I can only think of two ways, but perhaps I'm missing something. I can let him take it in a war with claims, or somehow arrange a matrilineal succession with him so when the current count dies, his son who is married to the other king's woman will get the land.

The first costs a lot of prestige and perhaps relations between the countries, the second is a lot of work.

I am a total CK newbie I have only been playing for a couple of days but I had some quick questions that I could not find any answers for that I hope somebody could assist me with!

1) Is it possible to attack an independent realm to claim it for yourself? I fabricate claims but it says the county is independent so I can't do anything!
2) If you build new holdings does that count towards your demesne size? Also how can you increase the amount of holdings you can build in a county?
3)I have been having issues on trying to upgrade certain structures in my county, for example I need castle infrastructure 2 and improved keeps to make certain upgrades yet I can't find anything like that to upgrade within the holding of the county,what am I doing wrong?!?

Thanks!!!

I am a total CK newbie I have only been playing for a couple of days but I had some quick questions that I could not find any answers for that I hope somebody could assist me with!

1) Is it possible to attack an independent realm to claim it for yourself? I fabricate claims but it says the county is independent so I can't do anything!

I think that's a misleading tooltip telling you that the county isn't independent. You can only attack independent realms. If you want to take a county on which you have a claim, find that count's liege, and his liege, if applicable, and attack them.

2) If you build new holdings does that count towards your demesne size?

Yes.

Also how can you increase the amount of holdings you can build in a county?

You can't.

3)I have been having issues on trying to upgrade certain structures in my county, for example I need castle infrastructure 2 and improved keeps to make certain upgrades yet I can't find anything like that to upgrade within the holding of the county,what am I doing wrong?!?

Try the technologies screen. The castle infrastructure tech should be there.

Thanks!!!

2) If you build new holdings does that count towards your demesne size? Also how can you increase the amount of holdings you can build in a county?

Thanks!!!

1.) You can only fabricate claims for a county (or a duchy, but I've never seen this happen, you apparantly need a very good chanceller to do so.) If the county isn't independant, you will have to go to war with their liege to claim it for yourself.
2.) Yes it does contribute to your demesne, but you can create a vassal in this new holding or transfer vassalage to someone else. The number of squares you see when you click on a county is the number of holdings that county can support. No way to build any more.
3.) You need to research the relevant technologies. Put your focus on what you want researched most on the technology screen and use your advisers to speed up tech research in the county they are placed in.

Hope I helped. :)

I am currently playing as Scotland. I want to eventually take over England. My heir is already married to the Princess of Norway. If I marry my second son to a Princess of England, he will inherit a claim on England. Once my King dies and my new King takes the throne, he will have a claim on Norway and his brother will have a claim on England. If I conquer England using my brothers claim he will become King of England right? When that happens can I assassinate him and have England pass on to me since he would have no heirs or would it pass to someone else?

There is a single question I don't feel have been answered yet: If I create a duchy, will my economy suffer?

As far as I know, every count collect taxes from the barons, bishops and majors of their county, and pay tax directly to me. If i was to create a duchy and hand it over to someone else, will the counts instead pay tax the new duke, who will then pay some of that to me, the king? Also, if I own a county inside said new duchy, will some of MY gold end up in the pockets of the duke?

I am going to quote myself from the previous page, hoping someone can and will answer this question.

I am currently playing as Scotland. I want to eventually take over England. My heir is already married to the Princess of Norway. If I marry my second son to a Princess of England, he will inherit a claim on England. Once my King dies and my new King takes the throne, he will have a claim on Norway and his brother will have a claim on England. If I conquer England using my brothers claim he will become King of England right? When that happens can I assassinate him and have England pass on to me since he would have no heirs or would it pass to someone else?

A fine plan. Yes, that could certainly work. Do make sure the princesses have inheritable claims, though. And make sure your brother has no children alive (murder them if he has some).

A fine plan. Yes, that could certainly work. Do make sure the princesses have inheritable claims, though. And make sure your brother has no children alive (murder them if he has some).

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. There is a nice celibate English Princess that I found that will do nicely.

There is a single question I don't feel have been answered yet: If I create a duchy, will my economy suffer?

As far as I know, every count collect taxes from the barons, bishops and majors of their county, and pay tax directly to me. If i was to create a duchy and hand it over to someone else, will the counts instead pay tax the new duke, who will then pay some of that to me, the king? Also, if I own a county inside said new duchy, will some of MY gold end up in the pockets of the duke?
It depends... on the tax laws and your relations with the counts and duke.

The default tax rate on feudal vassals is zero, so you probably aren't getting anything from the counts or their sub-holdings anyway. Their holdings pay them, and since they owe you zero percent, you get nothing. Create a duchy and it goes up one chain and you still get... nothing.

If you raised your feudal tax law and the Duke's tax law is zero, then yes by creating the Duke you would see a net reduction in tax since he is collecting only from his demesne and none from his vassals...

edit - except raising the tax law could hurt relations, which might or might not reduce taxes more than you gain... then it starts getting complicated I guess, since that all starts to depend on diplo stat, relative traits, and so on. I bet someone did the math to see which way is optimal.