• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
so if bishops like my antipope more than real pope they give taxes to me?
how can I make my bishops like my antipope and how to see the relationship number between bishops and antipope, cos I only see number with me and with real pope

how can I make my bishops like my antipope and how to see the relationship number between bishops and antipope, cos I only see number with me and with real pope

The only thing I can think of are bishops that have been excommunicated...

A couple of quick questions:

I am the King of Sicily and Africa, and can create a lot of duchies. Are there any good reasons for doing so? I like having counts all over the place. They are easy to handle when they revolt, and as far as I know, I also benefit from it economically, as there is no middle link in the form of a duke, so they'll pay tax directly to me. Am I right?

I have switched to elective succession, and get a penalty for holding too many duchies and too many votes. It seems only 3 persons are able to vote, which means I have exactly 1/3 of the votes. How many duchies do I need to create to get rid of the penalty, and how easy is it to get my guy elected if there are more voters?

I am the King of Sicily and Africa, and can create a lot of duchies. Are there any good reasons for doing so? I like having counts all over the place. They are easy to handle when they revolt, and as far as I know, I also benefit from it economically, as there is no middle link in the form of a duke, so they'll pay tax directly to me. Am I right?

I have switched to elective succession, and get a penalty for holding too many duchies and too many votes. It seems only 3 persons are able to vote, which means I have exactly 1/3 of the votes. How many duchies do I need to create to get rid of the penalty, and how easy is it to get my guy elected if there are more voters?

If you are the King you can only have two duchies as titles to avoid the penalty.

I agree. You can only control two duchies without penalty, but having more than one duchy when you have elective succession causes you to start having bad relations with all your vassals (or at least those in the Kingdom in question?).

If you have two duchies already (Apulia and something else I assume), here is a guideline:

- There is some debate over whether you should give your heir a duchy, but if you want to, create a duchy for him.

- Duchies existed to give the king less fewer vassals to worry about. If you have a whole bunch of counts in Africa, you may want to appoint a family member or bishop to a ducal title just to make it easier to deal with your African vassals. You could give him Tripolitania and Cyrenaica without losing too much. I would keep Tunis for myself--it's rich and productive once you get over the recent conquest negative modifiers. He would act sort of like a viceroy but if he is a feudal lord (duke), he may plot to make himself King of Africa in time.

- Make a duchy in a region where a vassal (1) has the land requirements (at least 50 percent) and (2) the gold to make himself duke. For example in Benevento or Capua. Mainland Sicily is full of 2-province duchies. Personally when I used to be in your situation, I kept the two big rich duchies (Sicily and Tunis) for myself, handed out the rest of the duchies to my close kinsmen, and kept the Duchy of Apulia as a traditional title for my heir.

Now under elective, you probably won't have much problem in Sicily having an heir of your dynasty inherit your kingdom. You may want to make Africa the same succession law just to keep these simple. If you're not careful, the two might split away from each other. I find that seniority is a good law to have in that situation, especially if you keep expanding. But you have a tidy seaborne empire unless things open up in Iberia (becoming king of Aragon might be a nice long-term goal). You are sandwiched between Mauretania and the Shia Caliphate, so form some good alliances and think about making your capital in Africa so Holy Orders you hire would spawn in Tunis or Tripoli rather than somewhere in Sicily--you do have to transport a lot of men from your capital to the warfront.

The situation :

+ I am duke
+ In my court, there is a man who has a claim on my neighbour duchy. He is not in my dynasty and I don't have any de jure claims on his claimed duchy.
+ I grant him a county before pressing for his claims.
+ Will this make him my vassal after making him Duke ?

+ Same situation but I am pressing for a county not for duchy. Will this make him my vassal after giving him his claimed title ?

Thanks.

I agree. You can only control two duchies without penalty, but having more than one duchy when you have elective succession causes you to start having bad relations with all your vassals (or at least those in the Kingdom in question?).

If you have two duchies already (Apulia and something else I assume), here is a guideline:

- There is some debate over whether you should give your heir a duchy, but if you want to, create a duchy for him.

- Duchies existed to give the king less fewer vassals to worry about. If you have a whole bunch of counts in Africa, you may want to appoint a family member or bishop to a ducal title just to make it easier to deal with your African vassals. You could give him Tripolitania and Cyrenaica without losing too much. I would keep Tunis for myself--it's rich and productive once you get over the recent conquest negative modifiers. He would act sort of like a viceroy but if he is a feudal lord (duke), he may plot to make himself King of Africa in time.

- Make a duchy in a region where a vassal (1) has the land requirements (at least 50 percent) and (2) the gold to make himself duke. For example in Benevento or Capua. Mainland Sicily is full of 2-province duchies. Personally when I used to be in your situation, I kept the two big rich duchies (Sicily and Tunis) for myself, handed out the rest of the duchies to my close kinsmen, and kept the Duchy of Apulia as a traditional title for my heir.

Now under elective, you probably won't have much problem in Sicily having an heir of your dynasty inherit your kingdom. You may want to make Africa the same succession law just to keep these simple. If you're not careful, the two might split away from each other. I find that seniority is a good law to have in that situation, especially if you keep expanding. But you have a tidy seaborne empire unless things open up in Iberia (becoming king of Aragon might be a nice long-term goal). You are sandwiched between Mauretania and the Shia Caliphate, so form some good alliances and think about making your capital in Africa so Holy Orders you hire would spawn in Tunis or Tripoli rather than somewhere in Sicily--you do have to transport a lot of men from your capital to the warfront.

Thank you for the very detailed answer. I have moved my capital to Palermo, but will consider moving it to Africa. Also, I tend to keep the most profitable counties for my self, with an eye on keeping 'em somewhat close together.

When I vote/nominate a successor a small (1) is shown below the portrait. I assume this means he has gotten one single vote, which would be mine. Do everyone only get one vote independent of their number of held duchies?

Also, regarding Benevento. It this most troublesome county in my kingdom, and rebels more frequently than any other. There is a constant wrong type of ruler penalty in my relation with the "prince-bishop" there. Why? What is a prince-bishop, and why the hell am I being punished when I don't own the county?

I still don't get why I should create duchies at all (beside the prestige bonus). Lets say I'm the king and I can have 10 counties/baronies. So I go ahead, take 2 existent duchies and make all counties there my own (now im at around 7 counties used). Now there are 3 counties left for me to use. If I take counties in my posession where another guy is a duke he wants my counties and I get a negative opinion modifier. If I don't form duchies I can hold 3 additional counties whithout anyone caring (since they answer directly to me, the king) and other counts without a duke above them answer directly to me and are weak in case of rebellion. If a duke rebels he takes his vassals with him and I'm in for a longer fight... So why should I create duchies after all?

Best way is to take the anti-pope along on a crusade. People will love him then.

The situation :

+ I am duke
+ In my court, there is a man who has a claim on my neighbour duchy. He is not in my dynasty and I don't have any de jure claims on his claimed duchy.

+ Same situation but I am pressing for a county not for duchy. Will this make him my vassal after giving him his claimed title ?

Thanks.
A duke can never be the vassal of a duke. In the second example it would work as you described though. He will stay your vassal if he already was your vassal.

Well if you go to the screen where you can look at income, you can mouseover one of them (church tax?) to see who all is paying the anti-pope taxes. The big benefit is not having *your* realm's bishops pay taxes to you through the anti-pope, it's having all foreign ones who like your anti-pope more than the Pope (or their liege) pay you the taxes. And well, all of your realm's bishops that like either you or your anti-pope more than the Pope will pay them to you as well of course. At least that's how I understand it.

I'd say if you wanted to really max out the income, you either get your anti-pope to go on crusade with you (crusader trait = +25 church relations), or you put a heretic as anti-pope and spread that heresy - all of them will like your anti-pope more. Or try to make the Pope heretic (you *can* do local inquisitions outside your own realm, I think)? The heretic options have... consequences, though.

Not creating duchies unless you have to can be useful. Eg. I think the counts are less likely to desire them if they don't exist, you have no electors other than yourself (if using elective and there are no existing duchies), and such. On the other hand, they will blob up via inheritances and some will create them at some point anyway, probably. Creating duchies is a nice way to get some quick prestige for a new ruler, on the other hand.

"Too many held duchies" happens if your king holds more than 2 duchies, regardless of which kingdom they're in. "Too many elector titles held" happens if you have more than *1* duchy title in that kingdom. I don't think I had too many held elector titles even if I had 1 duchy (or none, as the king gets a vote anyway) and there was only 1 other. In the case of a tie, eg. 1 vote for your choice and 1 vote from the only other elector duke voting for himself, I think the king's nominee wins.

And since some of that was old advice, here's a short response to some of the advice others have given: if you DO make both Sicily and Africa elective, I would assume the voting is separate for both, so keep an eye on that, the kingdoms can still split up. Africa is only 3 duchies though, so consider only creating one of them, as per the previous paragraph. (btw, I do recommend Palermo, it's got the most holding slots in the area. Tunis/Tripolitania/Cyreneica are the richest in their duchies, so they're ok too, but the only ones that can really rival/beat Palermo in the area are Alexandria, Rome, and Byzantion, really ... currently playing Sicily&Africa myself too, soon Egypt will be added to that as well).

I still don't get why I should create duchies at all (beside the prestige bonus). Lets say I'm the king and I can have 10 counties/baronies. So I go ahead, take 2 existent duchies and make all counties there my own (now im at around 7 counties used). Now there are 3 counties left for me to use. If I take counties in my posession where another guy is a duke he wants my counties and I get a negative opinion modifier. If I don't form duchies I can hold 3 additional counties whithout anyone caring (since they answer directly to me, the king) and other counts without a duke above them answer directly to me and are weak in case of rebellion. If a duke rebels he takes his vassals with him and I'm in for a longer fight... So why should I create duchies after all?

For the prestige bonus. Also, I don't have a huge problem with one-county Dukes who want stuff from me. They'll get over it, and if they don't, they're not very powerful, and I get a new one-County Duke who loves me for myself. So long as your Dukes are weak, and your holdings are strong, rebellions are a nuisance not a threat.

Also I've seen advice in regards for a king to have 2 duchies and have all his holdings in his 2 duchies, how do I do that if holdings are already claimed

Revoke the applicable titles (forge a claim to them if you don't want to pay the tyranny price). IMHO this is not critical enough to rush on. If the relevant count ever gets close to rebelling in the ordinary course of events, push him over the edge instead of bringing him back. Usually, you're popular enough later in your reign that you can snatch a title or three with little consequence before you die.

The situation :

+ I am duke

Thanks.

To be able to profit from such claimants you ll have to be king first.
And its not of much use unless you are able to make elective.
Unless you plan to fry the one you ve put on the chair somewere along the road.

thanks guys for previous help.

another question, how do you change culture?

And I have several sons, do i give pretenders one county? Or make them bishops? Also how do I that?

Last edited:
Not creating duchies unless you have to can be useful. Eg. I think the counts are less likely to desire them if they don't exist, you have no electors other than yourself (if using elective and there are no existing duchies), and such. On the other hand, they will blob up via inheritances and some will create them at some point anyway, probably. Creating duchies is a nice way to get some quick prestige for a new ruler, on the other hand.

"Too many held duchies" happens if your king holds more than 2 duchies, regardless of which kingdom they're in. "Too many elector titles held" happens if you have more than *1* duchy title in that kingdom. I don't think I had too many held elector titles even if I had 1 duchy (or none, as the king gets a vote anyway) and there was only 1 other. In the case of a tie, eg. 1 vote for your choice and 1 vote from the only other elector duke voting for himself, I think the king's nominee wins.

And since some of that was old advice, here's a short response to some of the advice others have given: if you DO make both Sicily and Africa elective, I would assume the voting is separate for both, so keep an eye on that, the kingdoms can still split up. Africa is only 3 duchies though, so consider only creating one of them, as per the previous paragraph. (btw, I do recommend Palermo, it's got the most holding slots in the area. Tunis/Tripolitania/Cyreneica are the richest in their duchies, so they're ok too, but the only ones that can really rival/beat Palermo in the area are Alexandria, Rome, and Byzantion, really ... currently playing Sicily&Africa myself too, soon Egypt will be added to that as well).

Thank you. Lots of useful stuff here. I am also planning to add Egypt to my collection :)

There is a single question I don't feel have been answered yet: If I create a duchy, will my economy suffer?

As far as I know, every count collect taxes from the barons, bishops and majors of their county, and pay tax directly to me. If i was to create a duchy and hand it over to someone else, will the counts instead pay tax the new duke, who will then pay some of that to me, the king? Also, if I own a county inside said new duchy, will some of MY gold end up in the pockets of the duke?

I already have 3 duchies (which are too many): Apulia and a neighboring duchy I can't remember the name of that I think have existed since the beginning, along with a single duchy in Africa, which I can't remember having created, and see no reason to create any more after having read the replies in this thread. I have handed Apulia over to my heir, to kickstart his prestige and avoid the too-many-duchies penalty. Good plan?

Could someone explain the "wrong holding" penalty? I know it applies when the county capital isn't a castle, but I don't understand why there should be a penalty just because the capital is a temple or city. Why can I only own castles?

I can give temples and cities to my children without problem, I can give any holding to any person in my realm no problem, but when I want to own a city the game won't allow it.

Could someone explain the "wrong holding" penalty? I know it applies when the county capital isn't a castle, but I don't understand why there should be a penalty just because the capital is a temple or city. Why can I only own castles?

I can give temples and cities to my children without problem, I can give any holding to any person in my realm no problem, but when I want to own a city the game won't allow it.

As far as I know, it depends on what type of other holdings you have (your MAIN holding). If you give a city to a baron/count he would get the same penalty. If you give a city to someone who doesn't own anything else, they just become a major, without the wrong-holder penalty.

I think.

Edit: I believe there are 3 types of holdings: Castles, cities and churches, and you can't really mix them without getting the penalty.