• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I haven't played much with Elective because it's Easy Mode in a lot of cases. If the heir to my primary title is in my dynasty I play as him/her when I die right? If this heir is not in my dynasty is it game over or do I play as someone else? Also, is there ever a chance to lose a lesser title (duchy, county, etc..) if the succession law for that title is not Elective - is it possible I'd end up with the Kingdom but lose other titles since they are not Elective?

So I got the decision to vassalize the Hospitalers, providing I've got 500 gold. Should I do this? Any downsides, asides from missing out on 500 gold? I've had the Knights Templar asking for provinces earlier, and I gave them one. I had assumed they have the province and become a vassal of mine, but they didn't and no I'm regretting it. Granted, they only took 2 more provinces of land I didn't already own, but it's still annoying; I wanted that land.

So I got the decision to vassalize the Hospitalers, providing I've got 500 gold. Should I do this? Any downsides, asides from missing out on 500 gold? I've had the Knights Templar asking for provinces earlier, and I gave them one. I had assumed they have the province and become a vassal of mine, but they didn't and no I'm regretting it. Granted, they only took 2 more provinces of land I didn't already own, but it's still annoying; I wanted that land.
It is generally advantageous to vassalize the Holy Orders for yourself.

I guess the main downside I can see is that weak faraway Christian realms will no longer have access to those Holy Orders, so it could result in a loss of Christian lands to infidels.

Also, Holy Orders can be quite powerful so they could be a problem if you have powerful factions. Especially since often Holy Orders will often not be of your culture and will cause more trouble.

Okay, this one really bugs me: What exactly causes the coward event (searching through the event files now)? Is it something exclusive that the AI can do? There isn't even any event leading up to it and (personal rant) I can't try and defend myself against the accusation, seriously?

I already know how to trigger events, I tried manually firing the invasions but the leaders of the hordes end up as unlanded characters in random Eastern courts.
The problem is, for some reason triggering the events just grants them the titular empire titles without granting the doomstacks. I've also tried firing 60000 beforehand (That's the 'Rumors of a Steppe Menace' event.).

The other thing I mentioned that you could try is to edit the requirements in the files to make the Mongols arrive earlier.

As for exporting, after christianizing Scandinavia, taking back Andalusia and Africa, and granting Mecca, Lithuania, Jerusalem and Finland to holy orders, conquering England, Iceland and Sicily, manually forcing the Mongols on the map is a whole lot better than spending 300 years doing absolutely nothing.

Mainly I just want the Mongols to invade to get rid of the Suomenusko in the north so I don't have ugly Shamanism and Animism in Europe after converting.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. It seems to me like you should've started at a later date, maybe after 1066, if you wanted to export a more historical religious layout.

The other thing I mentioned that you could try is to edit the requirements in the files to make the Mongols arrive earlier.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. It seems to me like you should've started at a later date, maybe after 1066, if you wanted to export a more historical religious layout.

Eh, I'll try it, worse case scenario I'll just pop into observer mode and only come back in when my empire starts falling apart.

And you have a point, I overestimated how much time I would need to conquer what I wanted to conquer.

What are the specific rules for calling an ally into war if you're a vassal?

I know one is that as a vassal, you can only call other vassals if they're in the same realm as you. What about calling independent characters into war?

I was playing as a count under the King of Castille and I couldn't call the king of Aragon into my holy war (in a hard sense, not due to opinion). What gives?

Didn't want to start a new thread but I just realized (after ~800 hours of play) that when you use the Character Search window you can actually type in the name of a Trait and it will filter by that! Now, I wish they would add that to the marriage window.

Trait search is actually a relatively recent addition. You might have been overlooking it for just a few months. :)

How Common is it to have a pope as your court Chaplin ?. All of the sudden I was playing as Ireland and I get a message that one of my Kinswoman has lost her Tutor. I was thinking well maybe someone died. And then I go and see the message that the pope has died and thus that is how she lost her tutor. And Then I remmeber that he was court Chaplin to me which was weird that he was a pope and also my personal church man ?.

So my question is - Is that suppose to happen ?. Or did I just get lucky that it happened that way and I did not lose the holy man as a person Chaplin when he became pope ?

Last edited:
Trait search is actually a relatively recent addition. You might have been overlooking it for just a few months. :)

Ah, so where can I get a list of all changes this past year?

It's funny because after 800 hours I decided "I wonder what would happen if I type the name of a trait here...".

Is this working as intended. I am playing as the petty king of Munster and I have the Tanier Succession or something like that. Anyway Ever since the first King borrowed money from the jews and then exiled them. None of my Kings after have gotten the message to welcome the Jews ?. The event that would normally fire after a new king is crowned does not fire for me and it has been several leaders.

unless it is connected to the amount of years that pass ?. But ever since the first King and the year is 1081 or so none of my other Kings have gotten the event.

Ah, so where can I get a list of all changes this past year?

You can't, but you can search this forum in 'advanced search' for "Patch Released" and tick 'Titles Only' to find all patch threads. Have fun with that. ;)

Is this working as intended. I am playing as the petty king of Munster and I have the Tanier Succession or something like that. Anyway Ever since the first King borrowed money from the jews and then exiled them. None of my Kings after have gotten the message to welcome the Jews ?. The event that would normally fire after a new king is crowned does not fire for me and it has been several leaders.

unless it is connected to the amount of years that pass ?. But ever since the first King and the year is 1081 or so none of my other Kings have gotten the event.

The character modifier lasts 7300 days, so around 20 years and yes, it's inheritable.

Had a very strange succession today. I had an empire, a titular kingdom, and a real kingdom. Both the empire and the titular kingdom were on elective, with my oldest son set to inherit. The real kingdom was gavelkind, because I hadn't had the chance to change it yet, with my second son expected to inherit. Naturally, my ruler died young. And the younger son got my entire demesne and the real kingdom. My older son got nothing, the empire and titular kingdom were destroyed, and all my vassals went independent, including the de jure vassals of the real kingdom, leaving me with nothing but one duchy. And then the warning that I had no dynastic heir popped up, despite my brother being my heir. So I ragequit. But seriously, what the hell happened there?

Had a very strange succession today...

Are you playing on 2.1.6 (TTXL) ?

Then i'd say post this in a new thread in the bug forum and additionaly upload your save file zipped/packed or link to an upload.
Sounds like a bug i read about some patches ago.

What probably occured is that your older son had not inherited or owned a county title and thus the empire and the titular kindom titles got destroyed, as your older son wasn't landed.
At least that's what i suspect. An inheritance bug/problem.

When you vassalize the Holy Orders (by intrigue decision) as Kingdom of Jerusalem, do they stay vassals to the KoJ title, or to your primary title?

Ex: I'm king of France and Jerusalem (France is main title); my 1st son (the one I'm gonna play) is heir to France, 2nd one to Jerusalem; if I vassalize the Holy Orders before succession, will they remain as vassals of Jerusalem, or will they stay with France's title?

Unless they're an exception which I doubt - vassals are always tied to an individual not to a title. The individual's heir inherits them.
I can confirm that. In one game the King of Hungary had become the King of Jerusalem and vassalized the two holy orders. The Fatimid doomstacks eventually took Jerusalem from him, but thanks to Primo he managed to hold the title of Jerusalem and the orders. One time, though, something strange happened and a Pecheneg pretender became the King of Jerusalem (with his magnificent realm being the very tip of Sicily). Hungary still retained the holy orders.

P.S. Eventually there was another succesful crusade and the new king was a, surprise surprise, Hungarian noble. House of Csanád has never been so strong.