• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick question: does trade value do anything at all for non-merchant republics? It seems strange to have an entire technology dedicated to such an extreme minority.

Come to think of it, I have another question: do trade posts/trade zones benefit the owner of the county that they're in in any way? In other words, if a feudal lord wages war on a merchant republic to destroy trade posts, is he hurting his own economy, or does it only hinder the merchant republic?
A trade post increases the income of every city holding within its province, regardless who owns it, and every trade post that a single patrician can link into a trade zone will add an extra bonus that benefits every province within that trade zone.

So any province you are pulling tax money from within that trade zone will be more valuable, and your cut of those profits will grow accordingly. Granted, destroying the trade posts of an enemy merchant republic reduces their income much more than yours, so it won't really change the calculation when you decide to hurt them, especially if you are clearing the way for a more friendly merchant republic to take their place.

edit - I went looking for links and all I can find is the trade zone income boost for cities. I could have sworn the trade post just added a straight tax increase to the local city as well. So far it looks like no income boost for cities unless the trade post is in a trade zone.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if moving a savefile to a sub-folder will disable achievements? I recently deleted all my savefiles, due to a file error rendering my roman empire game unable to gain any achievements left me a bit frustrated.
I recently started a new ERE game (Alexidad start) and I decided to make a dedicated folder for my ironman games. The game automatically saved the savefile into the original save folder, but I moved it into the ironman folder after saving the game.
However, I've noticed that when I click the folder when loading the save, the little window on the bottom left says "Achievements disabled". Does this mean I will be unable to gain achievements for save files in this folder?

2aylFqq.jpg

Quick question on the plot to fabricate claims on fellow vassal.

I am currently the king of Sicily, swore fealty to the Byzantine emperor.
I used my chancellor to fabricate claims on a county that was under control of a duke on mainland greece. He is also direct vassal to the Byzantine emperor.
As far as I knew, the criteria to do the plot were:
-Not heir to target title
-One of your titles is de jure vassal of target title
-Target is feudal
-Same liege as target

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Objectives#Plots
I meet all those criteria, and I'm also not content, so I don't know why I cannot do the plot. May it be that I'm a different religion?

edit:
Curiously, I also have a strong claim on the byzantine empire, but the plot to gain that title isn't appearing.

Last edited:
-One of your titles is de jure vassal of target title

You mentioned that you fabricated claims on one of his counties, but having a claim on a title is not the same as actually having the title.

By the way, if you have a chancellor with 15 or more diplomacy you can actually fabricate a claim on the entire duchy, although it's a bit rarer than fabricating a claim on a council.

Curiously, I also have a strong claim on the byzantine empire, but the plot to gain that title isn't appearing.
You can't just plot to get a title. However, I think you should be able to start a faction to place yourself on the emperor's throne thanks to your strong claim.

Last edited:
You mentioned that you fabricated claims on one of his counties, but having a claim on a title is not the same as actually having the title.

By the way, if you have a chancellor with 15 or more diplomacy you can actually fabricate a claim on the entire duchy, although it's a bit rarer than fabricating a claim on a council.

You can't just plot to get a title. However, I think you should be able to start a faction to place yourself on the emperor's throne thanks to your strong claim.

Sorry, I meant that I gained the title by fabricating claims with the Chancellor and then winning the war for it. I do actually own the county. For some reason my king died and his heir can do the plot for the duchy, perhaps I needed to be the same culture/religion or something.

The link I posted says there is a plot to gain lieges title? Perhaps this doesn't apply to empires?

edit - I went looking for links and all I can find is the trade zone income boost for cities. I could have sworn the trade post just added a straight tax increase to the local city as well. So far it looks like no income boost for cities unless the trade post is in a trade zone.

Every trade post is part of a trade zone so the boost always applies. However, it grows with the number of trade posts in the trade zone (as well as the trade port upgrades on those trade posts).

I have a Brother who needs to go so I can inherit his title. I thought I was being clever by making him army leader of puny armies and throwing him into suicide missions again and again. I've done it 10 or 15 times now but he always escapes unscathed. Did the developers "fix" this gamey exploit? ;) Any other idea how I can get his title before he procrates? His people like him so plotting is fruitless and assassinations is too expensive and way too risky because he's got a good spymaster...

Sorry, I meant that I gained the title by fabricating claims with the Chancellor and then winning the war for it. I do actually own the county. For some reason my king died and his heir can do the plot for the duchy, perhaps I needed to be the same culture/religion or something.

The link I posted says there is a plot to gain lieges title? Perhaps this doesn't apply to empires?

Anyone help me with this?
My leader is genus, brave, diligent, gregarious, kind, charitable and just if any of those affect his ability to plot to fabricate claims.

Thanks to all who answered my questions about trade posts and trade value.

I have another question: How exactly do buildings and tech that increase the strength of units work? I'm supposing that it simply increases the strength of the unit by a percentage equal to what it says, which is simple enough and easy to understand, but I want to know a few more specifics:
- Do the bonuses only apply to the province that the units raised come from? In other words, each province raises units of differing strength depending on the tech/buildings in that province? I'm guessing the answer to this question is yes.
- Assuming the answer to the above is yes, what happens when a bunch of units from different provinces are grouped together? Are their stats averaged for the purposes of calculation, or is each unit treated differently, or do all units assume the same value of strength (based on perhaps the highest, lowest, or average of the strength of units)?
- How do unit bonuses apply to retinues? Do retinues benefit from unit bonuses at all? I'm assuming they do:
- If so, is the capital the only relevant province for their bonuses? What about different castles in the capital? Say there are two castles in the capital and the primary castle has a building that increases unit strength, but the other castle doesn't. Would the retinues receive benefit from the primary castle? Would they receive a stronger bonus if the other castle were to acquire a building that increases unit strength as well?
- Still on the subject of retinues, are the bonuses that they receive applied only at the moment of creation, or do the retinues update every time a bonus is changed? What if the capital were to be changed to a province of lower tech? Would existing retinues become accordingly weaker to match the capital tech? If a new building was created in the capital that made units stronger, would existing retinues become accordingly stronger? Do you perhaps have to remake retinues every time unit bonuses change to update them?

That's a lot of questions I realize, but I've had a lot of questions about how unit bonuses work since day 1 of playing this game. Thank you for answers.

Thanks to all who answered my questions about trade posts and trade value.

I have another question: How exactly do buildings and tech that increase the strength of units work? I'm supposing that it simply increases the strength of the unit by a percentage equal to what it says, which is simple enough and easy to understand, but I want to know a few more specifics:
- Do the bonuses only apply to the province that the units raised come from? In other words, each province raises units of differing strength depending on the tech/buildings in that province? I'm guessing the answer to this question is yes.
- Assuming the answer to the above is yes, what happens when a bunch of units from different provinces are grouped together? Are their stats averaged for the purposes of calculation, or is each unit treated differently, or do all units assume the same value of strength (based on perhaps the highest, lowest, or average of the strength of units)?
- How do unit bonuses apply to retinues? Do retinues benefit from unit bonuses at all? I'm assuming they do:
- If so, is the capital the only relevant province for their bonuses? What about different castles in the capital? Say there are two castles in the capital and the primary castle has a building that increases unit strength, but the other castle doesn't. Would the retinues receive benefit from the primary castle? Would they receive a stronger bonus if the other castle were to acquire a building that increases unit strength as well?
- Still on the subject of retinues, are the bonuses that they receive applied only at the moment of creation, or do the retinues update every time a bonus is changed? What if the capital were to be changed to a province of lower tech? Would existing retinues become accordingly weaker to match the capital tech? If a new building was created in the capital that made units stronger, would existing retinues become accordingly stronger? Do you perhaps have to remake retinues every time unit bonuses change to update them?

That's a lot of questions I realize, but I've had a lot of questions about how unit bonuses work since day 1 of playing this game. Thank you for answers.

1) Yes, units are individualized so the buildings apply only to units from that barony
2) I believe (but am not certain) that each individual unit has modifiers applied then all units in the same wing are added together so if you have 10 HC from a province with +50% and 10 from a +0 in the same wing that wing Is treated as having 25 HC (10+10*1.5)
3) Your capital determines the tech level of your retinue units, as far as I know no building modifiers apply (if so it would probably be the capital holding of your capital that determines them)
4) see 3
5) they are applied at the time the combat occurs and are updated as you move capital or gain/lose tech (note this also applies to your retinue limit)

1) Yes, units are individualized so the buildings apply only to units from that barony
2) I believe (but am not certain) that each individual unit has modifiers applied then all units in the same wing are added together so if you have 10 HC from a province with +50% and 10 from a +0 in the same wing that wing Is treated as having 25 HC (10+10*1.5)
3) Your capital determines the tech level of your retinue units, as far as I know no building modifiers apply (if so it would probably be the capital holding of your capital that determines them)
4) see 3
5) they are applied at the time the combat occurs and are updated as you move capital or gain/lose tech (note this also applies to your retinue limit)

Thank you. Can somebody confirm that buildings indeed do not grant bonuses to retinues?

Thank you. Can somebody confirm that buildings indeed do not grant bonuses to retinues?

Yup.
It used to be the case when LoR was released if i remember correctly, but not anymore.
Now your retinues already get the highest possible bonus your local cultural units (the ones from the building) can get through buildings.

Yup.
It used to be the case when LoR was released if i remember correctly, but not anymore.
Now your retinues already get the highest possible bonus your local cultural units (the ones from the building) can get through buildings.

Hmm, so the retinues get those bonuses without actually having the buildings? So, if I'm understanding this correctly, retinues are generally stronger than other units by default (until you build those buildings, anyway)?

Hmm, so the retinues get those bonuses without actually having the buildings? So, if I'm understanding this correctly, retinues are generally stronger than other units by default (until you build those buildings, anyway)?

Yes.

Right now I have a situation where I started as duke of Saxony. I manufactured and pressed a claim for the Bishopric of Hamburg, the bishop disagreed to step down and so I took his temple in a siege and imprisoned him. Now I'm a feudal duke and squat in his bishopric by virtue of holding the capital temple of Hamburg county - which is considered the wrong holding type for a feudal lord like myself so I want to get rid of it eventually without losing control over the county. Fine then so I sneakily kill a baron in Hamburg county and his castle holding is inherited by me. Now I hold the temple and one castle in the county of Hamburg and the temple is no longer considered the capital - the castle and the temple switched places and the castle is considered the new capital. Suddenly I get a message about "Title loss on succession" meaning upon my character's death the castle and the temple of Hamburg county will not be inherited by my successor - which happens to be a girl because I hit a Henry VIII streak. What is going on here, why won't she be able to inherit Hamburg if it is no longer a bishopric, seeing how the castle is now considered the capital

Right now I have a situation where I started as duke of Saxony. I manufactured and pressed a claim for the Bishopric of Hamburg, the bishop disagreed to step down and so I took his temple in a siege and imprisoned him. Now I'm a feudal duke and squat in his bishopric by virtue of holding the capital temple of Hamburg county - which is considered the wrong holding type for a feudal lord like myself so I want to get rid of it eventually without losing control over the county. Fine then so I sneakily kill a baron in Hamburg county and his castle holding is inherited by me. Now I hold the temple and one castle in the county of Hamburg and the temple is no longer considered the capital - the castle and the temple switched places and the castle is considered the new capital. Suddenly I get a message about "Title loss on succession" meaning upon my character's death the castle and the temple of Hamburg county will not be inherited by my successor - which happens to be a girl because I hit a Henry VIII streak. What is going on here, why won't she be able to inherit Hamburg if it is no longer a bishopric, seeing how the castle is now considered the capital

What's your succession law? Gavelkind?

This is almost certainly it. Without a castle (feudal) holding, the succession could not be split. Now that you have two proper feudal holdings, the two sisters will each get one castle holding.