• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What defines if I can donate to holy orders or not? I had that option and now it is gone. I am catholic, none of them are expelled and I have no idea what might cause this.

1. The Pope is my vassal, but one of my vassals has an antipope. How do I get rid of the antipope?

2. Is there a good way of precipitating a conflict with a particular vassal (or group of vassals) for tyranny-free revocation, without provoking all your vassals at once? Factions don't seem to rise unless they're really huge.

Is there any way to disable the chime sound of important notifications?

Check which file it is in the 'sound' folder and edit 'interface/sound.sfx' with notepad++ accordingly or link it to an empty sound file.

When I'm playing as a republic, every time my doge dies and a new one is elected every single education in progress gets reset and I have to reassign every mentor. Is there a way I can prevent that?

When I'm playing as a republic, every time my doge dies and a new one is elected every single education in progress gets reset and I have to reassign every mentor. Is there a way I can prevent that?

I believe that's considered a feature at present. I think i reported it as a bug a few months ago, around whenever the last patch came out.

On an unrelated note:
In the current patch, will a vassal Pope that holds a county (Rome, if it matters) still call crusades every 30 years or so if infidels hold a Kingdom with Crusade weight and Crusades have started?

I'm not actually sure if Crusades have started in my current game. I started Jihads in the 800's when I took Baghdad as Byzantium. I only got some of the holy orders to form by giving a German Duchy to a Tengri character. As soon as I did so, but while he was still my vassal, it immediately formed the Knights Templar, the Knights Hospitalier, the Knights of Santiago, and the Knights of Calatrava.
I tried granting him independence, but it still didn't proc the "crusades have started" message. Game is currently at ~950. I restored the empire, mended the schism, and then went back catholic again in hopes that I would get Crusades.
Do I need to intentionally provoke an infidel to take some of my core european lands or something to start them? Maybe give thrace to a muslim to proc the "Our bulwark in the east has fallen" message?

the schism getting mended disables crusades permanently, regardless if you shift back to catholic.
Oh. Thanks. I guess I'll go Muslim or Norse or something then so I can declare my own Kingdom-level invasions.
I hope causing Crusades to never start doesn't affect the era of Pagan Great Holy Wars

Oh. Thanks. I guess I'll go Muslim or Norse or something then so I can declare my own Kingdom-level invasions.
I hope causing Crusades to never start doesn't affect the era of Pagan Great Holy Wars

It does.

Alright, so Hungary got inherited by some Greeks, but is Elective and therefore it should be possible to have all those Hungarian/Catholic dukes vote one of their kind back on top, right? It's not in my interest to have a local power adopt my nastiest rival's culture and religion, the Greek/Orthodox blob is already big enough, after all. So I killed one, and another inherited. Killed him as well, his son inherited. Alright, these two had high (>20) Diplomacy which may have surpassed the wrong culture/religion malus, but now his son is not as popular, next plot is on the way and that less greek-sounding guy called Abel Gaszifi Spanheim-Ortenburg should be the heir. He isn't, the king's brother is (whose tooltip does not list him as heir to Hungary). I quit and reloaded the game (it's Ironman btw), let a month pass, and A.G.S-O. still isn't heir, even though he's still listed as #1. Why?

Last edited:
Looks to me like AGSO is heir to Hungary but the king's brother is heir to the king's other holdings, the Duchy of Esztergom among them.

Does it list AGSO as heir to Hungary on his own page?

Can't check that anymore now, but when I did kill the boy shortly after unpausing, it went to his uncle, the guy listed as second in the image above. Presumably just a changed vote in the greeks' favor, so it appears my succession calculation wasn't broken after all, that brother would probably just have been the dynastic heir, not the one to Hungary. Didn't get to see what would have happened with a non-dynastic heir elected because shortly after that I died, went into regency, had faction problems, SU happened and I was busy defending and by now the Greeks have further cemented their rule.

playing the old gods start and suddenly the king of (the petty kingdom of) mercia is the duke of mercia. he's the same culture and everything, PK of mercia is his primary title...why would this change? more importantly, how can i change it back?

playing the old gods start and suddenly the king of (the petty kingdom of) mercia is the duke of mercia. he's the same culture and everything, PK of mercia is his primary title...why would this change? more importantly, how can i change it back?

Start by getting back all the De Jure territories and then you could get create the tittle again.

i should clarify. he still controls the petty kingdom of mercia (including all de jure territory) and his toll tip reads "Duke Eadwig of Mercia/Petty King of Mercia/Duke of Lancaster" - it's just weird that suddenly he's the Duke of Mercia and not the King of Mercia

i should clarify. he still controls the petty kingdom of mercia (including all de jure territory) and his toll tip reads "Duke Eadwig of Mercia/Petty King of Mercia/Duke of Lancaster" - it's just weird that suddenly he's the Duke of Mercia and not the King of Mercia

Are you sure he is not a vassal as vassals are not called petty kings but dukes.

What's the syntax for a city in the game files? I want to give a city to my character to be able to transform into a Republic, I understand that it's c_name for a county, b_name for a barony, but what is it for a city?