• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two questions

1: Doing a Prepared Invasion and I haven't received that many troops but I have received hundreds of ships which I'm not paying for currently. Ships are normally the most expensive part of an army and they can't die that I know of, so will these eventually start costing gold or have I got free ships forever? I'm presuming they will start costing at some point, so when if they do?

2: If a Norse ruler becomes a King can they still use the Subjugation Casus Belli if they haven't yet?

Two questions

1: Doing a Prepared Invasion and I haven't received that many troops but I have received hundreds of ships which I'm not paying for currently. Ships are normally the most expensive part of an army and they can't die that I know of, so will these eventually start costing gold or have I got free ships forever? I'm presuming they will start costing at some point, so when if they do?

2: If a Norse ruler becomes a King can they still use the Subjugation Casus Belli if they haven't yet?

1. You lose the ships once the invasion is over, and they never cost money as far as I know.

2. Yes, but you're limited to the 'once per lifetime' rule.

I'm doing a new Byzantine run to restore Roman Empire and maybe conquer everything after that (Old Gods start). I haven't really played much since RoI came out so I'd like to ask: what's the mechanics for Seljuk, Ilkhanate, Golden Horde and Timurids nowdays? What are their starting numbers? Last time I played Byzantium it was before Old Gods and the boatbombing nerf (Alexiad start ftw), and the main reason I could actually beat the GH when they came knocking for Armenia was boatbombing them to oblivion on the shores of Black Sea. Now I'm wondering what kind of forces I'll need to beat them back (it's 940-ish and I've about 57k troops available total)

BONUS QUESTION: I'm witholding any new Kingdom titles from forming so far, I've only created Greece and usurped Georgia. Would creating the Kingdom titles while keeping vassals as dukes be beneficient? Would that block their access to Empire factions? Would it increase the levy I get from them?
Furthermore, if I don't want to usurp kingdom titles for Egypt and Africa, will taking all titles from the current holder destroy the titles?

Last edited:
IBONUS QUESTION: I'm witholding any new Kingdom titles from forming so far, I've only created Greece and usurped Georgia. Would creating the Kingdom titles while keeping vassals as dukes be beneficient? Would that block their access to Empire factions? Would it increase the levy I get from them?
Furthermore, if I don't want to usurp kingdom titles for Egypt and Africa, will taking all titles from the current holder destroy the titles?

a) no, holding more than one kingdom title generates a relation penalty with your dukes in the kingdoms you own because they want your king titles
b) won't stop them from being able to start factions against their overlord (you) in the usual manner
c) nope
d) taking all the counties from the current holder will destroy titles UNLESS they can insta-revoke a vassal's holding when you do so

But in more than a few cases (Syria, Jerusalem, Egypt, Africa, Sicily) this would mean the difference between being their dejure liege and not. Doesn't that affect levy?

No. What matters is dejure location of your capital. Next is dejure distance.

(What also matters is which crown law applies and how opinion is affected, so it depends, but distance modifier seems most important)

Changed in patch 2.0

edit: I don't mind if anyone would correct me if that is not perfectly correct or add info. ;)

Also see this :
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Levy

The important part:

• Liege Levy Modifier is a modifier based on the location of a vassal capital within the top liege de jure capital realm. It was introduced with Patch 2.0 to represent the lower authority of a ruler over vassals located in non de jure part of the realm.
Capital county Capital duchy Capital kingdom Capital empire Outside capital realm
100% 75% 50% 35% 25%

Last edited:
I'm playing as Apulia, formed Sicily and remained fiercely independent (northern Italy broke free from the empire, so I figured I'd be save). However, now the HRE consolidated and is attacking me and I can't seek shelter with them. I fear my only option is to swear fealty to the Byzantines, but I'm afraid of the Imperial Administration. Will the Emperor be able to retract all my vassals (even the De Jure vassals) if I swear fealty to him? Also, is he likely to do this?

To take all holdings (rather than vassalise) during a Prepared Invasion I only need to occupy each county right? No need to occupy every temple in the land too?
The temples will become vassals. Only holdings you occupy (holdings, not counties) will become yours.
Of course, the vassals in the counties you take will be 'yours'.

Have changed a huge empire from catholic to buddhist, but this has reset all my titles from Elective to Gavelkind which doesn't use appointed heir somehow (only for primary title, everything else is going to be distributed between my children).
Luckily I was able to switch half of the kingdoms to Ultimo/Primogeniture before the opinion penalty of my vassals became disastrous. Now everybody hates me and the only way to counter this is to constantly trying to imprison everyone on any revealed plot and crushing the revolutions. The fact that my emperor is pretty young and dukes are old helps too.
Still I have half of the kingdoms on Gavelkind and I can't switch it because vassals have negative opinion.
So the question is - does this opinion penalty disappear after some time? Or I'll have to crush several revolutions each month to keep vassals low?
What should I do to keep all my titles in my hands? Probably mass-massacre, but this would result in dishonest penalty instead and a chance of killers appearing in my room too...

I can't understand why vassals are getiing upset if I'm changing the succession laws in other kingdom where they do not belong :(
It'd be best to avoid having multiple high-tier titles to avoid this kind of trouble. Better to let the stuff drift into one de jure kingdom/empire.

Yes, but it's 80, not 100%.
Doesn't that mean you'll get 80%, but then suffer the 'max levy reduction' of the Feudal Levy law on everything they give you on top of the 80% (say, because they love you and are at +90)?

Doesn't that mean you'll get 80%, but then suffer the 'max levy reduction' of the Feudal Levy law on everything they give you on top of the 80% (say, because they love you and are at +90)?

According to the ck2wiki i linked to above (and it seems to be correct) it's a bit more complicated:

Liege Levy = 50% x Total Holdings Levy x Liege Levy Modifier x Max((Opinion Toward Liege * (1-Levy Law Penalty)), Crown Law Minimums)

I can't explain that, sorry. I can only do the maths.

If I'm the King of Frisia and a vassal of the HRE, how come I don't have my own crown laws? Kings used to have their own crown laws independent of the emperor.

The title has no dejure land anymore in your game and became titular..probably.

Last edited:
It has all of its original land plus the duchy of Luxemburg. I've passed crown laws while being independent (during rebellions) and they stay there, I'm at medium authority while independent now but while I'm a vassal of the HRE inherit their law.

You mean Crown Authority, right ? That will be the one of the existing dejure empire (the HRE in your case), but you will still be able to change the laws.
Crown authority is in the laws tab, but not a law as such.

You can only change the CA in a kingdom of your own that's technically a vassal to an empire, if you are also the emperor...so to speak.

If I use one of the preexisting English-culture characters to educate my Norman child, can I start the melting pot early, or will it just work like a normal culture change, with my lands and vassals remaining their current cultures until the normal start date for the melting pot?

The temples will become vassals. Only holdings you occupy (holdings, not counties) will become yours.
Of course, the vassals in the counties you take will be 'yours'.

This is incorrect. I regularly only siege the county capital during the Sons of Lodbrok invasions and get all the holdings in those counties upon making peace. That said, there are some CBs where what you said is correct.

If I use one of the preexisting English-culture characters to educate my Norman child, can I start the melting pot early, or will it just work like a normal culture change, with my lands and vassals remaining their current cultures until the normal start date for the melting pot?

All english melting pot events have the date 1100 set in the trigger, so yes, it should be as usual. No melting pot events.
That's how i interpret the file code.

You mean Crown Authority, right ? That will be the one of the existing dejure empire (the HRE in your case), but you will still be able to change the laws.
Crown authority is in the laws tab, but not a law as such.

You can only change the CA in a kingdom of your own that's technically a vassal to an empire, if you are also the emperor...so to speak.
So my Frisian crown laws only come into effect if I become the HRE? While I'm rebelling the law screen has the authority and investiture laws, while I am a vassal it acts like I'm a duke or count. This just confused me because I distinctly remember my vassal kings having their own crown laws and being huge jerks about primogeniture.

So my Frisian crown laws only come into effect if I become the HRE? While I'm rebelling the law screen has the authority and investiture laws, while I am a vassal it acts like I'm a duke or count.

First, yes.
Second, when you are rebellling you are independent, so sure the law screen has that (though i'm not sure if it should in that situation, in my opinion it shouldn't), when you are a vassal you're not independent anymore.

This just confused me because I distinctly remember my vassal kings having their own crown laws and being huge jerks about primogeniture.

It's confusing me at times as well. What do you mean "they were jerks" ? The ones being jerks were probably kingdoms not in the dejure territory of your empire.

First, yes.
It's confusing me at times as well. What do you mean "they were jerks" ? The ones being jerks were probably kingdoms not in the dejure territory of your empire.
They'd marry into each other and because they all rushed for primogeniture the kingdoms would merge into mega-vassals and I'd have to fight a 20 year civil war to break them up.

Maybe I'll just join Francia so I can have my own laws.

So I'm the emperor of Iceland (via the titular title mod), and I've got three Kingdom titles: Iceland, Scotland, and Wales.
It's getting to be a bit of a pain to deal with my vassals, given that they're mainly catholic, but I've managed to keep a lid on them thus far by making the kingdom titles and giving them out.
The question is, am I able to give out my personal stuff that's lower than the Empire itself? The Jarl of the rest of Iceland is annoyed that he lacks my capital, and I'd quite like to shave off those last couple of barons.

If it changes anything, I'm using HIP, but I'm not sure it will.