• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is the best way to learn the game? Read the entire manual then play? Give the game some tries and read the manual while you do it? Any newbie guide out there?
I remember followind an Europa Universalis AAR directed to newbies like me, so I could follow the AAR that was playing and explaining the game and then I could try to reproduce it.

After forming the Kingdom of Burgundy I found I was still unable to declare war on other vassals in the HRE or change my crown laws. Is this a consequence of my having formed Burgundy after the HRE raised its crown authority to high? I've been able to declare war on other vassals (and change my crown laws) in previous games after usurping Navarra and Poland's King titles. My capital isn't inside the de jure Empire (Provence), which is adding to my confusion.

As long as you're part of an empire, the empire's crown laws applies.

All things being equal is it better to have one county with a bunch of baronies/castles or a bunch of counties with one castle a piece and otherwise full of cities/monasteries?

Well. The first gives a lot of troops. The second supports a lot of troops. Which also can buy a lot of mercenaries.

All things being equal is it better to have one county with a bunch of baronies/castles or a bunch of counties with one castle a piece and otherwise full of cities/monasteries?

Well. The first gives a lot of troops. The second supports a lot of troops. Which also can buy a lot of mercenaries.
I like the city-spam provinces, but I admit for my personal demesne I target coastal holdings, where harbors really make cities shine. Someone in an earlier post mentioned that for inland provinces the all-cities route isn't so clear cut, and there is a real case for castle-heavy provinces away from the coast.

Still, I build cities even away from the coast as a personal preference. Although technology isn't as important in this game compared to Vicky2 or EU3, I still like being in a "high tech" realm full of universities and monastic colleges, coloring my nation yellow and pink in the tech maps. (I haven't played far enough into the game to see what the last color is on the tech map! :) )

Last edited:
Is there still a distant demesne province penalty in this game? I just inherited Gwynned from Brittany, if that makes any difference.

Distant vassals revolt easier (eg. Duke of Ascalon when my capital was in Scotland had a +40% to revolt risk or something), I don't think there's any difference for demesne that I've noticed.

Is your wealth also split with gavelkind?

I don't think it does. The last time I inherited with gavelkind, I had I believe all my cash, which I immediately used to hire mercenaries to attack my brother who was broke so I could reunite the kingdom again. A good reason to maintain high levels of wealth with gavelkind.

Money goes to your heir and is not affected by Gavelkind. This is probably an oversight of the devs. Or is is just one of the minor features that inevitably got cut out because of time concerns.

How do I know the supply level of sea territories? I know how to check for land territories, but I just have to guess when seafaring. My troops keep dying!

How do I know the supply level of sea territories? I know how to check for land territories, but I just have to guess when seafaring. My troops keep dying!

I think if you have max 7k troops per sea zone, you're always safe. You could check your most commonly passed-through sea zones with a small stack of troops sailing around during peace?

Click on a ship at sea with troops on it, then click on troops to bring up their information. It will show at the top by the skull what the attrition rate is. Mouse over that and it will show the supply limit. I'm looking at the Coast of Asturias and it's 8k, but I haven't checked to see if that is typical.

Click on a ship at sea with troops on it, then click on troops to bring up their information. It will show at the top by the skull what the attrition rate is. Mouse over that and it will show the supply limit. I'm looking at the Coast of Asturias and it's 8k, but I haven't checked to see if that is typical.

Thanks!

Since his title outside of the HRE is king-tier, while it is duke-tier inside the HRE, I think what happens is that his duke title gets relinquished to someone else. I think that's what would happen with you having any other CA (autonomous to absolute) while HRE still has either High or Absolute - having a king title was better than a duke title :p.

Well, I played a bit further and my heir inherited my kingdoms, plus his original holdings inside the HRE. So I guess that makes an exception to the high crown authority rule.

Brilliant, thanks, I was wondering the same thing. I just assumed it was 7k for all of them.