• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No doubt been asked before - is there a way (be it active or passive) to increase the number of settlement slots in a county?

No. You can fill the existing ones, but there's no way to add another holding if there are no empty slots.

If a holy order asks for permission to build a castle in a province (be careful not to actually give them the county though, that's another event), they build it even if the county has no free slots left. Happened to my in my crusading Scotland game, not sure if this still happens in 1.04 though (and probably doesn't work if the county already has the max 7 holdings).

My question is I started game with Lübeck, which is independant county. When I try to revoke my vassal counts title, it doesnt let me and says Holy Roman empire crown authority doesnt allow revokation. Well I am Independent and dont have a liege, I dont get it!?

My question is I started game with Lübeck, which is independant county. When I try to revoke my vassal counts title, it doesnt let me and says Holy Roman empire crown authority doesnt allow revokation. Well I am Independent and dont have a liege, I dont get it!?

You are in the HRE de-jure area of the map.

I am duke of Toscana and many other duchies in Italy. My succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind. I have a son, aged 5, and a daughter aged 4. My heir was my son. Suddenly, one day, I get a notification that I have a new heir, my daughter. My son is still alive, in my court, still he ceased to be the heir. Why is that?

Edit: not only that but my son is excluded from the line of succession from everywhere...

I am duke of Toscana and many other duchies in Italy. My succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind. I have a son, aged 5, and a daughter aged 4. My heir was my son. Suddenly, one day, I get a notification that I have a new heir, my daughter. My son is still alive, in my court, still he ceased to be the heir. Why is that?

Edit: not only that but my son is excluded from the line of succession from everywhere...

It is a known bug. Saving and reloading brought my son back as heir.

What file(s) contain information related to culture specific buildings (longbowmen range, squire's list), and what files do I need to edit in order to create new ones (for cultures that don't already have one, such as the Dutch :p)?

EDIT: Also, how do you go about changing the colour that would represent your duchy/kingdom on the "independent nations" tab?

EDIT: I added a new series of buildings in the common/buildings.txt document, and it seemed to work great in game. However, whenever I resign/quit to main menu and then reload my save, the building that I built disappears and I have to build it again. Does anyone have any idea why I'm having this problem?

Last edited:
God YES, finally I can post my question... Due to the 5-days-block I nearly bite my keyboard... -.-

OK, my question: How can I invade an overseas province? I declared war on some muslim ruler, send my troops (just around 2000) to Provence (I am elected Kaiser of HRE), drop them into a fleet and.... guess it... Yeah, I cant do anything... Have to say, that I am new with CK2 but an ol' CK1-veteran, so I did not play any tutorial. What can I do now? I have to go to El Alamein (Egypt), some of my vassal is there and waiting for fresh troops but I cant bring my fleet moving into a foreign province... Whats my mistake?

Thanks for help!!!

Oh, and my story of the day: I wanted to be just a small duke in the middle of the HRE, be lucky with my wife and my kids and my two provinces with nice vassals and so on and what happened? The goddamn a**holes of dukes of the HRE voted for ME - without my f**** agreement! And guess what happened... The emperor dies and I have to manage the crumbling empire... :wacko:

Is the no possibility to deny a succession to the throne?

God YES, finally I can post my question... Due to the 5-days-block I nearly bite my keyboard... -.-

OK, my question: How can I invade an overseas province? I declared war on some muslim ruler, send my troops (just around 2000) to Provence (I am elected Kaiser of HRE), drop them into a fleet and.... guess it... Yeah, I cant do anything... Have to say, that I am new with CK2 but an ol' CK1-veteran, so I did not play any tutorial. What can I do now? I have to go to El Alamein (Egypt), some of my vassal is there and waiting for fresh troops but I cant bring my fleet moving into a foreign province... Whats my mistake?

You need to select the army on the ships, and move it from the sea province on to the land, while leaving the ships out at sea. This catches out a lot of new Paradox game players.

You need to select the army on the ships, and move it from the sea province on to the land, while leaving the ships out at sea. This catches out a lot of new Paradox game players.

I thought it must be banal but this.... I did'nt even imagined... :D

Thanks a lot! And maybe it would be great to make anywhere here a remark, because if you search for this problem, you won't find anything... :-/

/ed

Is it emberrassing, if I tell you, that I am absolutely not new to Paradox? :D

Changed a county name...forever

I changed the names of a few counties. This change is now permanent throughout the game, even into new games. In fact it shows up in the map for the game startup.

How can I set it back to the default name please?

Answer: Exit the game and restart.

Last edited:
This was probably brought up somewhere, but is it working as intended that you can't inherit stuff out of the HRE? As in, if one of your dukes is heir to an HRE duchy or county, they can't add it to your kingdom when the incumbent dies? I've noticed that heirs change upon incumbent death when a county would normally pass out of the HRE... is that correct or a bug?

So, what happens if my heir is an HRE duke or count? Does my kingdom get added into the HRE? Or do I inherit stuff out of the HRE?

Playing as Aragon, trying to form Burgundy and Italy... more difficult than I thought even when super powerful.

This was probably brought up somewhere, but is it working as intended that you can't inherit stuff out of the HRE? As in, if one of your dukes is heir to an HRE duchy or county, they can't add it to your kingdom when the incumbent dies? I've noticed that heirs change upon incumbent death when a county would normally pass out of the HRE... is that correct or a bug?

So, what happens if my heir is an HRE duke or count? Does my kingdom get added into the HRE? Or do I inherit stuff out of the HRE?

Playing as Aragon, trying to form Burgundy and Italy... more difficult than I thought even when super powerful.

That could be possibly due to the HRE having High or Absolute crown authority, which prevents any realm territories from being inherited out of the empire/kingdom. I think what happens is that if you are outside of the HRE and are on the list of people to inherit the county, they skip you to go to the next closest heir inside the HRE (which would eventually be the emperor if the previous ruler runs out of immediate relatives).

Ah yes, I forgot about crown authority. I just assumed the HRE would have weak authority.

Okay, so what happens if the heir to my Kingdom outside the HRE is also an HRE duke? Does the kingdom go to a different heir if we both have high CA? He's listed as the heir, though.

Ah yes, I forgot about crown authority. I just assumed the HRE would have weak authority.

Okay, so what happens if the heir to my Kingdom outside the HRE is also an HRE duke? Does the kingdom go to a different heir if we both have high CA? He's listed as the heir, though.

Since his title outside of the HRE is king-tier, while it is duke-tier inside the HRE, I think what happens is that his duke title gets relinquished to someone else. I think that's what would happen with you having any other CA (autonomous to absolute) while HRE still has either High or Absolute - having a king title was better than a duke title :p.

Thx for your fast answer, but I am not under their control, I am independent, how can that limits me still not get it

Even though you are not De Facto a vassal, you are still De Jure a vassal: that is, by all rights and laws, you SHOULD be his vassal, according to the internationally agreed borders of the HRE. Even though you are not IN FACT a vassal of the HRE, BY LAW you are.

I know the chance for kids drops after your court is above 30, but does the game start to throttle number of kids when the overall number of characters in the world gets high too? I only ask because the number of 1 kid vassals and heirs has seemed to jump remarkably in my game as late. Ill have a hedonist King with a court of 11..with a lustful wife..and we will only have 1 kid over a 40 year reign.