• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He's not zealous, and the decision screen says I need a Hindu province to convert.

UxczmX9.jpg

And one more additional clarification to this: It's all title based. Titles can have different inheritance laws. The game doesn't track individual duchy laws for multi-dukes, but kingdoms and empires will always keep their own laws.

Interesting, thanks to both of you!

I'm king of england, got jeruselum in a crusade, gave the new duchys to some allies and both knights have set up baronys in jeruselum too. But now my new dukes have started wars to revoke the knights baronys. Is this normal? Also it looks like the knghts are refusing to fight back. They have stacks of several thousand that wander about jeruselum not fighting the smaller enemy armies, possibly because their not of another religion.

Hello,

I've started my first game, picking Munster because they seemed easiest of the Irish lords. Before I crowned myself, I swore fealty to the HRE to have some protection against Scotland and England, both of which looked rather intimidating.

The thing is, to get half of Ireland I used alliances. A few times I lost my army and had to wait for benevolent Estrid and Jimena kings to help me out. However, now that I'm part of the Empire, I can't seem to call on them anymore (nor on any of the other mighty friends I made). Did I lose the ability to call in 'foreign' powers when I swore fealty?

Also, when I started as Flanders (1066 start, to experiment with this), I couldn't swear fealty to the HRE even though I met all the requirements (I could click the option, but 'Send' would be grayed out, even though all condition checked out). Figuring it was the de jure war on Gent, I waited till they stopped battling over my land, but even then I was unable to change liege. Is there some big thing I'm missing here, or is this a bug?

Also, when I started as Flanders (1066 start, to experiment with this), I couldn't swear fealty to the HRE even though I met all the requirements (I could click the option, but 'Send' would be grayed out, even though all condition checked out). Figuring it was the de jure war on Gent, I waited till they stopped battling over my land, but even then I was unable to change liege. Is there some big thing I'm missing here, or is this a bug?

You can't just "change liege". You'd have to ask your current liege first ;)

How good is the war elephant retinue?

I've been playing an Indian game with the Steel Bow retinue and I find it rather underwhelming.

Thye War Elephant Leader martial trait is actually quite good, but the mix of Archers (Light Infantry) and War Elephants (Cavalry) isn't very good.

Also, with 100% Steel Bow retinues, I find that Grey Wall and Crushing Charge are okay tactics, but every now and then I get massively crushed by Awesome Advance, Stand Fast, Slow Advance, or Force Back and the flank collapses quickly with massive casualties.

Based on the game stats, Steel Bow should essentially be Longbowmen with a handful of Elephants thrown in, but it feels like a pretty crappy retinue. Or maybe I just don't play Longbowmen enough and that's what they are actually like. Or maybe it is Massive Longbow Volley that is really making the difference.

Based on the game stats, Steel Bow should essentially be Longbowmen with a handful of Elephants thrown in, but it feels like a pretty crappy retinue. Or maybe I just don't play Longbowmen enough and that's what they are actually like. Or maybe it is Massive Longbow Volley that is really making the difference.
Yeah, that's what Nubian longbows are like, as they don't get the massive volley either. Although if you start losing, you still cause enough causalties that you ca usually retreat, and then walk right back and have a good chance of winning.

What happens (as a count) if you marry/betrothal your heir to a lady count in a normal marriage? Does he leave for her county? What happens when it is time to play him when your ruler dies?

Also same thing for brothers of your heir, if they marry into other houses (normal marriage)and their wives end up inheriting counties do they come under the control of your dynasty?

Last edited:
Hello,

I've started my first game, picking Munster because they seemed easiest of the Irish lords. Before I crowned myself, I swore fealty to the HRE to have some protection against Scotland and England, both of which looked rather intimidating.

The thing is, to get half of Ireland I used alliances. A few times I lost my army and had to wait for benevolent Estrid and Jimena kings to help me out. However, now that I'm part of the Empire, I can't seem to call on them anymore (nor on any of the other mighty friends I made). Did I lose the ability to call in 'foreign' powers when I swore fealty?

Yes.

What happens (as a count) if you marry/betrothal your heir to a lady count in a normal marriage? Does he leave for her county? What happens when it is time to play him when your ruler dies?

He leaves for the countess's court when they marry, unless he's landed. If he's landed, though, whilst bethrothed, he'll probably break the betrothal and marry a nobody. Heirs are thick.

Also same thing for brothers of your heir, if they marry into other houses (normal marriage)and their wives end up inheriting counties do they come under the control of your dynasty?

They certainly do, when their child inherits. (Unless they're matri-married, of course.)

He leaves for the countess's court when they marry, unless he's landed. If he's landed, though, whilst bethrothed, he'll probably break the betrothal and marry a nobody. Heirs are thick.
Thanks, and when he inherits your counties when you die, does he come back or do you end up playing as someone else?

Basically my ruler has 5 sons and I want to maximise my own realm and expand, there are a few neighbouring counties whose rulers have young princesses very close to the line of succession.

My move should be?

This is a very bad situation. If your unlanded heir (or other dynasty member) marries a landed partner, they will move to their spouses court. This puts them at risk of being imprisoned and executed by the spouse (it happens).

More importantly, any children born will be in (and stay) in the other spouses court even if your heir/family member later gets landed. For example, in a normal marriage, children will first go to their father's court (if he has one). But if the situation changes, the kids will not change court. So if your unlanded male heir marries a landed woman, then any children born before your heir becomes landed will be in (and remain) in the mother's court but any children born after your heir becomes landed will be in his court.

And note that if the spouse's court is outside your realm, that means that you will have limited diplomatic options with your heir and/or any kids they have (granting titles, educating).

Having your heir (and dynasty members) leaving the realm is generally a bad thing. And having your unlanded heir marry a landed partner also isn't great. If it's within your realm, then grant your heir a title immediately after marrying. Unfortunately if you grant a title before the marriage, the AI makes stupid marriage decisions and will often break advantageous betrothals.

Can you see in game other religions Moral Authority?

Is there any advantage to you if you lower their MA?

If you take an opposing religions holy site will they prioritise trying to get it back?

I'm thinking of taking Kent which is a Catholic holy site as Norse to lower Catholic MA but not sure if there's a big point and/or if it'll just cause Catholics to constantly declare on me?

The ledger (second or so on the bottom right)

Lower religious conversion chance, bigger chance for heretics.

If you take an opposing religions holy site will they prioritise trying to get it back?

I'm thinking of taking Kent which is a Catholic holy site as Norse to lower Catholic MA but not sure if there's a big point and/or if it'll just cause Catholics to constantly declare on me?

They might call a crusade on you, but i'm not sure if there is any 'drive' so to speak in the code.

Page 4 of the Ledger tab.

Conversion chance and heresy event appearing.

Holy Order strength is proportional to MA.

And lots of abilities require a minimum MA include Christian Invasions, Crusades, Mending the Schism, and reforming a Pagan religion.

Not necessarily. Crusaders have target weights based on Kingdoms, which may or may not match the presence of holy sites. AI rulers prioritize de jure territories. And relative army strength tends to be a crucial factor.

Kent is a good choice.

Another good one is Santiago, since the usual Crusade target in Iberia is Andalusia.

Lowering Holy Order strength sounds like a good idea, though are there any Holy Orders in the 10th century?

Is there an advantage to me for Catholic heresy spreading. Does it say divide or weaken the Catholic realms against each other rather than against you or something else? Heresy has never played a major part in any of my games before.